What are everyone's thoughts of Traben basses? I want to get a first bass soon and was pretty much set on a Squier VM Jazz until I came across this .

Personally I think it looks awesome, and the pickups might better suit what music I will be playing (heavier rock and metal etc). It's also pretty much the same price as the Squier.

So which one would you recommend? Any other suggestions are also welcome

Thanks

stratkat
squiers are good but that looks badass! you'll definitely get a wide range of sound with the three band eq not to mention the four extra frets. I think that would be better than the squire for hard rock and metal.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
yea, the tone and looks is all it has going for it.

every body is basswood (pretty much meaning ever traben has the same tone), theres no neck-thrus (i consider it a con), and the electronics arent even their own (this wouldnt be a problem if it wasnt EVERY SINGLE BASS USING 3RD PARTY ELECTRONICS!!!).
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by TheTortured
yea, the tone and looks is all it has going for it.

every body is basswood (pretty much meaning ever traben has the same tone), theres no neck-thrus (i consider it a con), and the electronics arent even their own (this wouldnt be a problem if it wasnt EVERY SINGLE BASS USING 3RD PARTY ELECTRONICS!!!).

Completely false statement. Traben's Obsession models and the Greg Weeks Choas are neckthru. Also only their low ends are basswood (but basswood isn't even a bad wood so that doesn't matter much) and they lower ends also have Traben pickups and preamps. You should research a little before commenting.
Also to the TS I think the Squire is still better. Many low end Traben's are quite poor, although some are amazingly good, you just have to try each bass individualy.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Mar 4, 2009,
Haha, this is soo ironic, I actually went to Guitar Center (for the first time today) and played this bass, and was lookin' to see what other people thought.

My personal opinion, its awesome. The one I found was marked at 550$ and played like a champ. The neck is nice and easy to mess around on, tone wise, it sounded really solid, nothing that caught my ear as being bad. Aesthetically it looks absolutely amazing. The thing weighs absolutely nothing, i'd have to guess something like 7 pounds, if that. (Just making a rough guess off a 9 pound bass).
Honestly, for that price, I'd say its pretty solid.
I liked it, and Im considering buying one just because it looks amazing, and sounds really solid.
Quote by Casketcreep
I don't play/like metal, and I think this could be why I think it's horribly ugly.

Can you imagine in a few years (when your music tastes change) going to jam with a jazz or a funk band with that?

Different strokes for different folks my friend. I personally love it, although I am a devoted metal head, so there may be some bias seeping in .

But TS, a price range and we will be able to help you better, as I got the vibe that you don't really know whether to get it or not. I have heard mixed things about Traben, so you really do have to go out and try some buddy.

Sanity is not statistical
Bah...who cares about the looks? I was in a school(college) jazz combo as a saxaphonist for a bit. One bassist had a black/black/maple T-40, and the other had a six string Warwick. (one guy was backup) Neither one looked like it should be in a jazz band, but nobody cared...not one bit.

As far as the bass itself, I've always been quite impressed with Traben's stuff. The first time I played one, I honestly thought I was playing a bass three times the price, and was very surprised when I looked at the price tag.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 5, 2009,
Thanks for all the replies guys

Quote by Casketcreep

Can you imagine in a few years (when your music tastes change) going to jam with a jazz or a funk band with that?

No, because I don't see my music tastes changing that much anytime soon

And the top end of my budget is about £240 (this will be my first bass after all), and the Squier VM Jazz and the Traben are both a bit below that.

I know Jazz basses are meant to be really versatile, but the Traben is active and has a 3 band EQ....

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by Casketcreep
I don't play/like metal, and I think this could be why I think it's horribly ugly.

Hell yea I can, that is a funky as s**t bass!

The traben DOES have a three band EQ which would be really useful.

"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Casketcreep
Sorry guys, I didn't mean for that comment to sound so condescending.
But my music tastes have changed massively in the last 3 or 4 years.

Don't worry about it - I can see where you are coming from.
Who knows how my music tastes will change in the next few years?

EDIT: And if I do turn to funk, I can just get this!

stratkat
Last edited by EuBoat at Mar 5, 2009,
I'd forgotten about that!

Those things are awesome...have you looked at what the controls do?
Nope, no sig here.
There are 8 knobs! And I really don't see a reason for having 5 pickups - apart from the sheer awesomeness of having that many.

I prefer this one

stratkat
I have an array 4 Limited and I love it to pieces. The 3 band eq is amazing, the versatility is amazing. Mine has a spalted maple top which also helps in the looks department. The arrays have fast as hell necks, and I find that they're particularly easy to play slap on. The biggest con is that they're kind of awkwardly shaped and balanced, it takes some getting used to.