Hey guys im looking at saving for a new amp and I would really like to have a halfstack. Trying to do my research before hand here I can play both before buying as they stock both at my local shop. I was really looking into the marshall JCM2000 halfstack but last night I heard a mesa playing guns n roses (it was an adlers appetite gig) and it sounded great.

My main styles I play are classic rock and hair metal favorite bands include: Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, Dokken, Ratt, and WASP.

So what do you guys recommend for me?

Thanks

LD
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Mesa Stiletto, Marshall JCM800 or 900 (not the 2000), Laney GH50L, Sovtek MIG100.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
From what iv heard if your trying to emulate those sound or get a very close verson of them definatly the JCM because of its british voicing.

Also can you link me too this video? Because i know they used mesa's but only for a few months and im pretty sure they didn't use them after appertite and i know they recorded appertite with marshalls.

Edit: oh and also i would get a JCM800 not the 2000, i have the 2000 and its great when im playin at like 7 but below like 3 or 4 its really fizzy and Awful
Last edited by Zakk_Lp at Mar 4, 2009,
Skip both and go Carvin
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
i second everything Raijouta said
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by Zakk_Lp
From what iv heard if your trying to emulate those sound or get a very close verson of them definatly the JCM because of its british voicing.

Also can you link me too this video? Because i know they used mesa's but only for a few months and im pretty sure they didn't use them after appertite and i know they recorded appertite with marshalls.

Edit: oh and also i would get a JCM800 not the 2000, i have the 2000 and its great when im playin at like 7 but below like 3 or 4 its really fizzy and Awful

It wasnt guns n roses it was steven adlers solo band which happens to play all the old gnr songs, saw them last night and the guitar player that played right in front of me was playing through a mesa half stack.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
personally i really prefer mesa because im a modern player, but for those kinds of tones you want go marshall
800 Is your best bet but I love the 2000 too and did not like the 900. IDK why they get such a bad rep on this forum...
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
JCM800, I want one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
JCM800, Mesa Stiletto, Peavey VTM, Sovtek Mig50/100, Ceriatone JCM800.

Any one of those will make you happy.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
don't get a mesa for hair metal.

JCM800
Splawn Competitoin
Laney AOR
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I'm going to recommend avoiding a JCM800 unless you frequently find yourself in a position where you can crank the volume.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Archeo I agree with that I reccomend the Splawn competition and Laney AOR 50 and 100s over the 800
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Archeo Avis
I'm going to recommend avoiding a JCM800 unless you frequently find yourself in a position where you can crank the volume.

So you mean that basically its not gonna sound good unless I crank it?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
So my Quickrod (JCM800 clone) is a 100w amp with option for 50w. I'm at 50. Gain at 3 oclock and volume at 9 oclock is the sweet spot. Otherwise, yes it needs to be cranked up. I have a volume box in my FX loop to tame.
Quote by joe_k
i'm gonna have to agree with most people here, JCM800.

This.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So my Quickrod (JCM800 clone) is a 100w amp with option for 50w. I'm at 50. Gain at 3 oclock and volume at 9 oclock is the sweet spot. Otherwise, yes it needs to be cranked up. I have a volume box in my FX loop to tame.

a attenuator volume box or a 20 dollar on ebay volume box?

because the volume box (latter kind) will only get you pre amp saturation, not power amp, just to let you know
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Lethal Dosage
So you mean that basically its not gonna sound good unless I crank it?
It'll sound okay, but the trick to the JCM 800's tone is to drive the power amp as hard as possible (translation: Crank the volume).

You could buy an attenuator with one to make the volume more controllable and get a cranked tone, just don't expect it to work very well at bedroom volumes.

That being said, the JCM 800 is the amp a lot of hair metal bands used, so it will nail those tones with ease. JCM 900 also might be a good choice, along with some other recommendations. I wouldn't go with Mesa though. Great amps, but not for hair metal.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
It'll sound okay, but the trick to the JCM 800's tone is to drive the power amp as hard as possible (translation: Crank the volume).

You could buy an attenuator with one to make the volume more controllable and get a cranked tone, just don't expect it to work very well at bedroom volumes.

That being said, the JCM 800 is the amp a lot of hair metal bands used, so it will nail those tones with ease. JCM 900 also might be a good choice, along with some other recommendations. I wouldn't go with Mesa though. Great amps, but not for hair metal.

I will have to try to find somewhere with an 800 then my local store has the kerry king sig model, JCM2000 and the Vintage Modern. They do have a mesa stilletto though.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I will have to try to find somewhere with an 800 then my local store has the kerry king sig model, JCM2000 and the Vintage Modern. They do have a mesa stilletto though.

To be honest, I prefer the Stiletto to the 800 (though I dislike the 800 in general).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Because of the style of music you are into (80's hair bands), yes you need a laney or a marshall.

I have a mesa tremoverb and I love it. If you think you might play other styles of rock, the best rock sounds I have heard have been rat distortion pedal through an Orange amp and 2 x 12. The orange adds more body and grunt to your guitar sound. However with the stuff you are into, you don't need much analogue grunt, the sound is mainly distortion pedals...
i agree with the suggestions people have made for the:
Peavey VTM
Laney AOR
Sovtek MIG

great budget hot-rodded marshall amps, imo
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I'd say JCM 800 (late 80's model) or JCM 900.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Splawn Competition would be awesome in this situation

Where do you live? I can cook up a few good craigslist amps if you give me your state and a major city/town you live near
Take a look at Gabes marshall thread, it should help lots...
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Quote by Highwaytohell
Splawn Competition would be awesome in this situation

Where do you live? I can cook up a few good craigslist amps if you give me your state and a major city/town you live near

I live in nebraska closest major city would be Omaha. Not looking to buy just now though mainly looking for ideas so that I do my research while im saving so when I have the money I can just buy what I like best.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Yeah, I checked your local Clist going back to Feb 15 and didn't see anything. Keep your eyes on that and keep doing research. A used JCM or Splawn is what I would be shooting for. OK, I'm done bringing up Splawn for a while k
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, I checked your local Clist going back to Feb 15 and didn't see anything. Keep your eyes on that and keep doing research. A used JCM or Splawn is what I would be shooting for. OK, I'm done bringing up Splawn for a while k

Yeah I check the music instrument section on the omaha one like every day just to see whats there. I check des moines, Iowa and Kansas City, Missouri once in a while too.

EDIT: I check the last 2 just in case I find something good might be able to get them to ship for some extra cash.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
^good idea.

Actually, I went back to check again because I felt bad and I did see a Single Rec and a Randall MTS with a bunch of modules but I'm guessing you've seen those already. From earlier in Feb. Never hurts to go try stuff out. There was a Quick Rod in Sioux City not too long ago but it looks like it was sold. OOOops. I said I wasn't going to bring it up anymore.