I have a choice of 3 American stratocasters that I can purchase. Best Buy (where I work and get huge discounts) only sells 3 that are in my $1,000 price range and are American. They are the American Deluxe, American Standard, and the Eric Clapton Signature. What are the differences in features? Any opinions on them?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

what's retail and what's the discount
███████████████████████████████████
I know the deluxe has Samarium Noiseless pickups and Schaller locking tuners.

The EC signature has a midboost circuit or something... and the American Standard is just an all around great guitar. You'd be pleased with any of the three, I'm sure. I think the Deluxe would be pretty cool.
play them yourself and find out which one you like best?
Am I the only one who is flabergasted by the fact that Best Buy sells nice guitars?
Quote by Thrall
Am I the only one who is flabergasted by the fact that Best Buy sells nice guitars?

me too!
Lets just say, the Eric Clapton signature is $1,000 for me, half the price.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

Well, it could be a good choice for sure.

But do you want an EC signature model or one to make your own? Not that it matters. I've also heard that SCN pickups on the Deluxe don't sound like true single coils. When I played it in store (on a Fender Champ, not sure if that matters), I thought it sounded pretty good.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well, it could be a good choice for sure.

But do you want an EC signature model or one to make your own? Not that it matters. I've also heard that SCN pickups on the Deluxe don't sound like true single coils. When I played it in store (on a Fender Champ, not sure if that matters), I thought it sounded pretty good.

yeah, I've never been pleased with the SCN pickups myself, I'd suggest the EC or the MIA Standard. I used to work for best buy, IIRC, the American Standard was around $800 with discount, I'm not sure if that holds up with the price increases, though.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
yeah, I've never been pleased with the SCN pickups myself, I'd suggest the EC or the MIA Standard. I used to work for best buy, IIRC, the American Standard was around $800 with discount, I'm not sure if that holds up with the price increases, though.

Well, I know now that they did lack something, 'cause my MIA Standard DOES have that true single coil chime. But some people make the SCN out to be terrible.

Now, I got said MIA Standard at Long & McQuade's for roughly $1000. I look on their site now and it happens to have raised to $1400-$1500 which is INSANE. I'm so happy I got mine before this all occurred.

TS, me thinks that if you want a little extra versatility, try the Deluxe, but if you do want that true Strat sound, the Standard would be good. In all honesty, I am not sure about the Clapton sig. That comes down to how you feel about Clapton, etc. You can try these out, obviously, right? You should. I'll recommend the Standard, though.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

You're thinking of the Custom Shop strat, not the Signature. The Clapton Signature strat can be found for about $1300. The custom shop is about $2300.
Quote by Thrall
Am I the only one who is flabbergasted by the fact that Best Buy sells nice guitars?

Around here best buy just opened up a branch of a music shop, and it looks pretty legit to me. So it's not just some starter packs sittin' in an isle like Kmart or such. It's pretty much a completely different store next door.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Shiromar
Around here best buy just opened up a branch of a music shop, and it looks pretty legit to me. So it's not just some starter packs sittin' in an isle like Kmart or such. It's pretty much a completely different store next door.

Yeah, I miss working there, the discount was too good to not go in and waste a ton of money every week. And the sales folks were actually really knowledgeable, too. Knew their stuff and were really nice, probably the best trained/knowledgable folks in the best buy chain (aside from myself ). I'd rather shop at the best buy music store than guitar center, 'cept the selection's pretty piss-poor compared to guitar center.
Quote by Thomme
Yeah, I miss working there, the discount was too good to not go in and waste a ton of money every week. And the sales folks were actually really knowledgeable, too. Knew their stuff and were really nice, probably the best trained/knowledgable folks in the best buy chain (aside from myself ). I'd rather shop at the best buy music store than guitar center, 'cept the selection's pretty piss-poor compared to guitar center.

Well if you were like me and the only thing you get are telecasters its not so much
The only guitar I bought was a Tele, I did buy a few pickups and pickguards and all sorts of other stuff, though. Squier Thinline. Would'a gotten the Fender MIM, but they didn't carry it, so I settled for less for less. Glad, I did, too. Kind'a lost my job... damn college.
Quote by Thrall

it's cool. they sell things for cheaper than guitar center. so go to GC and tell them bestbuy sells it cheaper and get 10% off the difference. so best buy sells an mxr carbon copy for 130. you show gc and get it for i think 128. cool.

anyways, get the deluxe. that thing is super good, not that i have any problems with the regular american. the deluxe is just better. or if youre gonna swap out pickups just go for the regular one.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak

anyways, get the deluxe. that thing is super good, not that i have any problems with the regular american. the deluxe is just better. or if youre gonna swap out pickups just go for the regular one.

I think you're thinking of it backwards. Those SCN pickups sound... not quite right. They have this awkward, wierd not quite a strat tone that I didn't expect to hear out of a "deluxe Fender strat." Totally turned off by those. I prefer the pickups in the standards over the deluxes.
Quote by Thrall

They do? All my local one has guitar-wise is a bunch of starter packs.

Anyway, basically, the American Standard is your basic strat. Not a bad thing, the strat is a great guitar. The Deluxe is the Standard, but with the ability to switch on all three pickups and the neck-bridge settings unavailable on a normal strat and samarium cobalt pickups, which I personally don't like, but that's your call. The EC strat has a 6-point bridge for the tone and sustain, though it isn't as stable as the previous two's two-point(But a well-set up trem can keep in tune), a custom profile neck, Vintage Noiseless pickups(Better than SCN, but I'd still swap for gold Lace Sensors), a 20db mid-boost, and a TBX, which I don't know what that does. Personally, i I could get any of the three, I'd get the EC strat for the mid boost, but it's your call.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
They do? All my local one has guitar-wise is a bunch of starter packs.

yeah, certain stores in higher volume areas with a direct competition of a guitar center with good enough revenue have gotten full on "best buy music instruments" sections put in. It first rolled out in California, then Minneapolis and then moved nationwide.
Huh. Best Buy is closer than every other music shop, so they'd corner the local market rather decently methinks...wonder if I could get my local one to put one in, or just hope a GC opens nearby to give them incentive?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Huh. Best Buy is closer than every other music shop, so they'd corner the local market rather decently methinks...wonder if I could get my local one to put one in, or just hope a GC opens nearby to give them incentive?

eventually, it's supposed to be in all stores. Best Buy trial runs things in certain markets and then slowly rolled them out. Like Magnolia, Geek Squad, the ACE appliance initiative and Best Buy For Business. It's better to trial in markets you know it'll work in and then work out the logistics for other stores monetarily than if you just rolled it out to all the stores. The other issue is getting stock for the new store initiative and employees, too. They're not going to get the big names in the industry for their investment off the bat and it's easier to get contracts for smaller batches to run them to fewer stores. Someday, I'll get my job at best buy again and get that discount back and buy that Mustang I was eyeing.
Quote by kckyle
get the deluxe. if my memory serves me right it comes with a nicer case

The cases for the newest line of american standards are damn near indestructable and fit the guitar really tightly!!

You cant go wrong with the american standard for that sort of money. Absolutely solid guitar and gives a stereotypical strat sound.
i've got a deluxe hss with s1 switching, it's taken me a few months to 'bond' with it but now i have and i'm really pleased with it. the hot scn pickups are good, i can get anything from classic strat tones to hard driven tones.

the locking tuners make string changing quick and simple, and the roller nut is good for tuning stability.

if you want to look at the differences in features between your 3 choices just look up the specs on the fender website.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Babbs
play them yourself and find out which one you like best?

Obviously.