I only know basic chords and how to tune my guitar. That's it. I want to learn more advanced chords, scales, etc as well but I'm not sure where to go to learn that. And I don't want to take lessons from some expensive instructor that's only interested in the $ and teaches stuff that HE thinks is important...not me. Do you guys think it's even that important to learn a scales and chords if you wana write your own music?
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Last edited by Phoenix Reborn at Mar 4, 2009,
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html
Thats helpful for theory.

You should learn a bunch of open chords, start learning the fretboard, learn bar chords and power chords. Once you get the chords down, look at the major scale. You should be able to belt out any major scale, it'll help later when trying to understand keys and possibly writing your own music.

Also try and learn good technique.

Good luck.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
I only know basic chords and how to tune my guitar. That's it. I want to learn more advanced chords, scales, etc as well but I'm not sure where to go to learn that. And I don't want to take lessons from some expensive instructor that's only interested in the $ and teaches stuff that HE thinks is important...not me. Do you guys think it's even that important to learn a scales and chords if you wana write your own music?

Umm if he's an instructor, then he knows what's important because he knows about theory.
Open yourself up brah, no matter what an instructor teaches you, it'll help you musically
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
I started out by reading tabs and going on from there really. Very basic stuff. I never did scales, theory, etc. just played my favourite music which after a few months I was getting nowhere as it was all the same. Then I started getting into scales, theory and it has made a huge difference in my playing and knowing how it all comes together.
This is great site to get started.
http://www.musictheory.net/
Try before you buy!!

There are heaps of free lessons out there for learning how to play guitar . I own a guitar lesson review site and have rolled through heaps of them. If you visit my site my choice for the best FREE lessons would be the Jamorama product. Click on the product when you get to my site and that will take through to the jamorama site. Then sign up for the free lessons. Hope this helps bro, and get into it.

My site is below my name....
Scotty Souness

www.guitar-lesson-reviewed.com/
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Do you guys think it's even that important to learn a scales and chords if you wana write your own music?

To answer this question, compare two different players; Angus Young and Joe Satriani. Now, I love both of these guys. I think they're both awesome. But do you notice that all of Angus' stuff sounds the same? And Satriani's playing is real diverse.
That's because Angus knows very little theory. And he really only knows one scale; the Blues scale. Whereas Satriani knows theory inside and out. And he probably knows every scale known to man.
If you really want to know your instrument and be able to express every idea musically, learn theory. Don't be intimidated about learning scales. It's easy to become overwhelmed when it comes to music. The learning process is endless. But that's what makes music/playing guitar fun and exciting. The reason that Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, John Petrucci, etc. etc. are so awesome is because they went that extra mile and put the hours into their instruments. They're able to do things that few can do.
Taking the time to learn the challenging stuff will have rewards that words cannot express. The feeling you get when you write an awesome song, is better than sex......................almost.
Now go practice.
There's my way and the wrong way.
If you want to write you own stuff you need to not only be able to play the music in your head on the guitar but also to have a wide range of experience of techniques and styles to adjust / make changes as you go along composing. The more you know the better it will be, a bit like an experienced carpenter with a large tool box and many years of experience.
Quote by darkhorizon
like an experienced carpenter with a large tool box

:stickpoke How could you?

If you learn enough easy songs you'll notice the recurring patterns. I didn't go specifically searching for anything theoryish for ages, and then found I'd accidently stumbled upon a lot of it just by learning loads of songs.
If you are hearing music in your head - then you don't need to know scales and modes to get them out. I learned how to play by simply observing, and absorbing as many styles of music as possible. If I heard about a new technique or concept, I looked it up and then tried it. Its just that simple - you have to constantly be aware to refine your playing and look for new knowledge. Don't let yourself get stale.

If you're working on chords right now, then maybe you could focus on rhythm structures, and find out what makes different styles of music tick. Jam to some CDs!

http://www.guitarspeedsecret.com
I thought Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen knew little theory... or am I mistaken?
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards