My god, not this thread again.

Very digital sounding, not reliable whatsoever, crappy built in effects, etc. etc.
Besides the over done and exaggerated gain there is no other redeeming quality about it.
*Insert witty boisterous relic of seemingly useless allegory for means of simply amusing a random personage*

My babies:

Epiphone Les Paul (Honeyburst)
Fender MiM Strat (Classic Black/White)
Epiphone Riviera (Wine Red)
well I know there is a differnce between the spider and the expensive mesa boogie tube amps my dad and I use, but for $100 bucks its pretty good for a beginner, or for taking to your grandmas on thanksgiving to perform for your family. Anyway, What about the tube amps? Are they any better than the solid state sound wise?
I agree with the first two posters. I regret buying it.
It sounds absolutely horrible when I use it for gigs. Absolutely horrible...
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by The_Bosstone
My god, not this thread again.

Very digital sounding, not reliable whatsoever, crappy built in effects, etc. etc.

+1
at this point
you have bad taste in tone if you think the spider 3 sounds good
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Its a decent beginner amp because since ur beginning u prolly dont have a ton of money to spend on gear. Every guitar will sound exactly the same through spiders u can decide if thas good or bad but after one year of owning one u will regret it.
The hate comes more from "They're better amps in the price range," then "It sucks in all aspects." But it does come from both sides.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
So tell me this.My friend wants to spend arorund $100 on an amp, and He want to start learning guitar.I'm thinking either a Spider or a Micro Cube.I'mm thiking spider because its got good distortion, and tons of effects, and he wants that, and I have never used a cube.Is it any good?
I'd definitely get the cube
*Insert witty boisterous relic of seemingly useless allegory for means of simply amusing a random personage*

My babies:

Epiphone Les Paul (Honeyburst)
Fender MiM Strat (Classic Black/White)
Epiphone Riviera (Wine Red)
You know, I was just watching this stuff on youtube where this guy was comparing different guitars and stuff, and he was doing it on a Spider 3, and it sounded really damn good. I was so surprised. I used to have a Spider 2, couldn't get a good clean or a good distortion out of it, and the sound would cut, or sometimes double, when I'd play it for a decent amount of time.

So, I don't really know what to think. Although, starting a thread, "Hey, why the Spider 3 hate? Mine broke and I'm waiting to get a new one, but other than that, they're great!" Just makes me go back to the Xbox 360 red rings of death stuff and makes me wonder how retard consumer America (or in this site's case, UK) really is. Do yourself a favor and spend your money on things that work.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Scary Cow
Its a decent beginner amp because since ur beginning u prolly dont have a ton of money to spend on gear. Every guitar will sound exactly the same through spiders u can decide if thas good or bad but after one year of owning one u will regret it.

It is a great amp for beginners definitely, very good for the price. I have a Spider III and I agree that over time it started to not sound quite as good as I thought it did when I was first got it, but I don't think it's terrible by any means. I also don't agree that all guitars sound the same through these amps, my SG and my Ibanez sound very different to my ears when I play them through my Spider on various settings.
MicroCube or Peavey Vypyr>Spider III any day.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
They sound digital and you can get better quality amps for the same price or lower. The Spider amps also break up very easily at lower volumes, they're good practice amps but for anything else, they're no good and personally, I want an amp I can use for practice and gigging.

A 50 watt tube amp can do both for me.
I am an ashamed Spider III owner.
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

Quote by burnboy85
well I know there is a differnce between the spider and the expensive mesa boogie tube amps my dad and I use, but for $100 bucks its pretty good for a beginner, or for taking to your grandmas on thanksgiving to perform for your family. Anyway, What about the tube amps? Are they any better than the solid state sound wise?

You and your dad play through "expensive mesa boogie amps" and you don't know the sound differences between tube and solid state amps?..............really?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by technical death
i love jazz III picks they own

Indeed.They kinda blow for strumming larger chords but for anything articulate and fast they're great.It's just too bad that I lose them at the rate of about two a week.......****ing pick gnomes.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I really dislike the Spider III, I didn't know anything about amps at the time. Can anyone recommend a good amp for $300-$500?
90% of all the "Spider hate" is purely people just jumping on the bandwagon. If you took a Spider III head and hid it behind a Mesa it would all of the sudden sound awesome to probably 3/4 of the people on here that bash them. Kinda like throwing a party and filling the kegs with non-alco beer and seeing how many people get "drunk". For as dirt cheap as the things are your aren't going to get anything siginficantly better in it's price range. As with anything if you put the time into setting up your equipment you will get a good sound out of it. I got a killer metal tone out of mine and can get pinch harmonics to squeel like a pig.
I've only played on three amps in the past 4 ish years i've played guitar.
Spider 3, Cube 30, some tube amp I don't know anything about.
The tube was simply amazing and i wish I bought but instead i got a new computer i needed. Anyways Tube amps flipping own ass!!! I wouldn't be the best to give the reason why they are simply just better! The cube 30 (my only amp) I find is fine? I play a jag-stang with an SD Invader in the bridge and the original single coil in the neck and it's flipping amazing imo. But the one time i used a spider three it sounded like I put on full reverb then lit my guitar on fire (which woulda kinda been cool) and continued to play it. O.O" That's my two bits and no one can say I compared it to a mesa because i've never seen (that i know of) or played one.
You yourself said it's already broken, that's one reason.
They sound very digital...you might like it now, but trust me, in a few years after you've played a few really nice amps, you'll realise it doesn't even hold a candle to most of them.

I used to own a Marshall MG100DFX, which I thought was the living end when it came to amps. I thought it was the best.

And well...we all know how they sound.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by burnboy85
So tell me this.My friend wants to spend arorund $100 on an amp, and He want to start learning guitar.I'm thinking either a Spider or a Micro Cube.I'mm thiking spider because its got good distortion, and tons of effects, and he wants that, and I have never used a cube.Is it any good?

check out the peavey vyper 15 WAY better than the spider (cant say the cube ive never played one) but they are really good beginers amps and their 99 dollars
Quote by southernboy3223
check out the peavey vyper 15 WAY better than the spider (cant say the cube ive never played one) but they are really good beginers amps and their 99 dollars

Agreed on this too.
Vypyr > Spider, to a huge extent.
The Cube is very nice, but doesn't have as many effects.

It'd be between the Cube and the Vypyr, in my opinion.
Member of the Laney Cult
I'm going to start off by saying that the person playing the guitar is far more important than the amp he's playing on.

Since we're talking about amps. If you're spending your own money then why not avoid Line 6's lower end stuff? There are really good Line 6 amps out there; it's just that the Spiders aren't among them.

For the same money you can get a Peavey Vyypyyyr or a Roland Cube. I used to play on a Cube 30 way back when and I wish I still had it. It sounded good and had lots of tones to play around with.

Most important thing to do, though, is don't listen to UG too much. There's a lot of half-truth and hearsay that could, if you took it all seriously, prevent you from getting a piece of equipment that you might be really happy with.

I've spent time in music stores playing on different types of amps. If a Line 6 Spider III was the only amp of it's type available in it's price range I'd probably like it just fine; but it isn't. Go sit down for a while and try out some amps. If you're not comfortable with playing in a store (I'm not really) then find out what the return policy is like. If you buy something and don't like it after a week has gone by, just bring it back.