guys i'm doing a power point presentation on metallica tomorrow, i don't know if this is the right section to post this type of thread but i won't mind if the mods move it to the appropriate place. i been googling fun facts and stuff but i couldn't dig out much, any thing you guys know about metallica would be great help. so far i only have them as one of the biggest inspiration of modern heavy metal and rock music, and that dave mustaine used to be the lead guitarist. other than that i'm stuck, btw none of my classmates listen to metal as far as i know so if you guys can keep it simple. thanks alot guys
dave mustaine helped write all the songs on kill em all but kirk played them on the album. lars was training to be a pro tennis player before metallica started recording. the original bassist, cliff burton, died in a bus accident after winning rock paper scissors to get the bed in the back of the bus. kirk is educated in mythological things, horoscope. occult, all those wierd looking symbols and all that. ummmm.... hetfield has badly burned onstage by a pyro effect while touring with gn'r. thats all i can think of wikipedia had alot more.
They were originally signed on to Megaforce records after their demo No Life Till Leather was an underground hit. Ron McGovney was the original bassist, Lars and James kicked him out for Cliff Burton after hearing his bass solo. Cliff only agreed to stay with the band if they relocated. When they were going to record their first record, they flew to New York. There, they kicked out Dave Mustaine and sent him home on a bus. He was replaced by Kirk Hammett. Their first album was originally called Metal Up Your Ass, but was renamed Kill 'Em All.

They recorded two more albums, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Master of Puppets was a critical success, selling 6 million copies with the self-titled track as the main single. On the Master of Puppets tour, the tour bus overturned, after slipping on some supposed black ice. Cliff Burton, who had won in a friendly dispute Kirk's bunk, was thrown out the window and crushed by the bus. When he died, the words from the Metallica song "To Live is to Die", "Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me Home?" were written on his grave. Cliff's last writing credit was on their 4th album, ...And Justice For All.

One could say Metallica went downhill after the 80's. Although their 5th album, the Black Album was their biggest success, it was produced by Bob Rock. The album's songs, such as Enter Sandman, appealed to mainstream listeners, thus increasing their popularity. However, many argued that Bob Rock had too much influence on the band's direction. In the new millenium, Lars Ulrick sued Napster for giving viewers free access to all of Metallica's catalogue, thus resulting in mass banning of Napster's users and leading free downloading to be illegal. The albums after the Black Album (6-8) were arguably their worst, with the 8th (St. Anger) having a total absence of solos. In 2008, Metallica released their newest album (Death Magnetic), many fans believe this is their revival after the last 3 terrible albums.

Metallica is currently on the Death Magnetic tour.

Hope this helps!
thanks for all the fact guys but is there anything that are unique and intriquiting? one of my classmate did his on the greatful dead and he had everyone with the hippie jokes and acid test and etc. is there anything i can use that is related to metallica?
metallica. first album, kill em all, 1983. was one of the first thrash bands ever. they made thrash more listenable. ride the lightning, 1984. used a little bit more range in music than most thrash bands. master of puppets, 1986. often called the masterpiece metal album. outstanding guitar tone overall. Cliffs death. And Justice for all, 1988. first album without the influential cliff burton. this album marked a noticable loss of bass, odd timings, and again, outstandind guitar tone. switched from flemming to bob rock. marked the "decline" of metallica thrash. black album, 1991. more of a pop approach, slowed more to a groove aproach. still excellent vocals. then comes ......> you know
fun facts: up until the black album, james hetfield wrote almost all of the guitar work. cliff had a huge impact on writing and style. bob rock played the bass on st. anger. james hetfield uses an extensive recording process....and rack setup
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Lol I just did this for computer class.

Metallica is the only band to have five consecutive albums debut at number one.
Metallica has sold over 100 million records in America, 51,136,000 since 1991.
Metallica has gone through four bassists (Ron McGoveney, Cliff Burton, Jason Newstead, Robert Trujillo)
James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich are the only founding members of Metallica to remain.
Every Metallica studio album, along with Live Sh*t: Binge & Purge and S&M have been certified platinum in the US by the RIAA, with Death Magnetic being the only one that hasn't gone Double Platinum.
Metallica was nominated in connection with four Grammies in 2009, winning two, for Best Metal Performance (My Apocalypse) and Best Recording Package (Death Magnetic), with Rick Rubin winning Producer of the Year for Death Magnetic.

There's more, but I have to go to bed :P
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Lol I just did this for computer class.

Metallica is the only band to have five consecutive albums debut at number one.
Metallica has sold over 100 million records in America, 51,136,000 since 1991.
Metallica has gone through four bassists (Ron McGoveney, Cliff Burton, Jason Newstead, Robert Trujillo)
James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich are the only founding members of Metallica to remain.
Every Metallica studio album, along with Live Sh*t: Binge & Purge and S&M have been certified platinum in the US by the RIAA, with Death Magnetic being the only one that hasn't gone Double Platinum.
Metallica was nominated in connection with four Grammies in 2009, winning two, for Best Metal Performance (My Apocalypse) and Best Recording Package (Death Magnetic), with Rick Rubin winning Producer of the Year for Death Magnetic.

There's more, but I have to go to bed :P

wowow wake up!!! you gotta tell me more
if dave mustaine didn't break a string at the first gig in '82 James hetfield would never have played guitar in metallica
thank you for that one dave
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
if dave mustaine didn't break a string at the first gig in '82 James hetfield would never have played guitar in metallica
thank you for that one dave

i would love to say that except none of my classmates listen to them. so if i say james hetfield they're gonna be like huh? whos that, is that 50 cent's real name?
I will give the band members names,
Originally it was Dave Mustaine(Rythm), Kirk Hammet(lead), Lars Ulrich(drums), Ron McGovney.(Bass) Later, dave and ron got kicked out where James Heitfeild and Cliff Burton Replaced them. They then recorded there first album Kill 'Em All with producer Ian Rasmussen.

I will give you more info later. I'm late 4 school.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Originally it was Dave Mustaine(Rythm), Kirk Hammet(lead), Lars Ulrich(drums), Ron McGovney.(Bass) Later, dave and ron got kicked out where James Heitfeild and Cliff Burton Replaced them. They then recorded there first album Kill 'Em All with producer Ian Rasmussen.

you're wrong
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Whenever I do a PowerPoint I put in videos and music and stuff; they seem to love that.

Also, it helps keep everyone interested (not that a presentation on Metallica would be boring)
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by timbit2006

this is all wrong. ever since the creation of metallica, it has been James Hetfield (Vocals, Rhythm) Lars Ulrich (Drums). Always. In the beginning, it was Ron Mcgvoney (Bass) and Dave Mustaine (Lead). Mcgovney was kicked out because he wasnt a drunk and he had a certain altercation where he caught Mustaine pooring beer on his guitar (or amp, it isnt certain) saying, "I fvckin hate Ron." They then convinced Cliff Burton to join Metallica. But, for him to join, the band had to relocate from LA to San Francisco. Mustaine was later told to leave after they recruited Kirk Hammett (formerly of Exodus). Mustaine was told to leave because he was an instable drunk (the real reason being that he and Hetfield frequently got into physical fights and generally had large egos.) They then continued happily with that lineup until the death of Burton. See my other post
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Last edited by Holy-Diver at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
On the Master of Puppets tour, the tour bus overturned, after slipping on some supposed black ice.

Conspiracy theory?
what about lawsuits. i know they were in the news recently because of rock band and guitar hero and the napster thing. was there anything else they were involved?
Quote by timbit2006

Wrong and fail
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Holy-Diver
this is all wrong. ever since the creation of metallica, it has been James Hetdield (Vocals, Rhythm) Lars Ulrich (Drums). Always. In the beginning, it was Ron Mcgvoney (Bass) and Dave Mustaine (Lead). Mcgovney was kicked out because he wasnt a drunk and he had a certain altercation where he caught Mustaine pooring beer on his guitar (or amp, it isnt certain) saying, "I fvckin hate Ron." They then convinced Cliff Burton to join Metallica. But, for him to join, the band had to relocate from LA to San Francisco. Mustaine was later told to leave after they recruited Kirk Hammett (formerly of Exodus). Mustaine was told to leave because he was an instable drunk (the real reason being that he and Hetfield frequently got into physical fights and generally had large egos.) They then continued happily with that lineup until the death of Burton. See my other post

u r wrong
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by Sad But False
u r wrong

well fvck me for the d and f keys being adjoining keys
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION