Okay, so I heard this term being tossed around, and I think I have it, or rather, my Strat does.

I know Strats aren't really suited to gain without some modifications (usually). Now, I don't use too much gain to begin with.

I've been getting extremely harsh overtones on my MIA Standard Strat, running through a Traynor Blue. Now, what I mean is... every fret has crazy overtone and when I bend, I get the harshest, ear-piercing tones ever.

I contacted another user, and asked him, and he told me to lower my pickups so that there was enough distance between the pup and string for two quarters to fit. So I did, yet the problem persists.

What should I do? Should I lower it some more, possibly? Perhaps a new pickup swap (it's coming anyways really soon so...)? Any advice would help. I know the stock pups aren't the greatest. This really only happens on the lead channel by the way.

tl;dr - Getting horrible overtones on my Strat using my amp's lead channel. Lowered pups already - problem persists. What should I do?

EDIT:

Stratitis Definition (#2)
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Mar 5, 2009,
it's probably partially the fact that it's on the LEAD channel...
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
you haven't really lowered the pickups all that much - lower them more and see if that helps....it's not like it's a big job, in the time it took you to post you could have done it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
you haven't really lowered the pickups all that much - lower them more and see if that helps....it's not like it's a big job, in the time it took you to post you could have done it

Haha alright, yeah, when I lowered them last time, it took me like three minutes. I was wondering if there is a certain distance the pickups should be from the strings? I read an article on how lowering them could bring out new dimensions to your tone, but that article was using a Les Paul, and that's where it also said to lower them so two quarters could fit in the gap. I will give it a try today and see what happens. Thanks.
Okay, this picture might help, but could a ****ed up bridge be the problem? My trem won't actually fit in the cavity - I think the alignment is off. This could be a problem, couldn't it?

Bad quality sort of, there was a glare. See if you can understand what I mean though.
not sure if that'd cause it, but it's not great.

not too sure what the problem is, unfortunately...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I already linked to that in my OP.

The trem bar doesn't fit in the cavity... it won't screw in.

And I'm thinking that the bridge is out of place or something, possibly affecting my guitar's tone and causing me to receive horrible overtones - it hurts my ears so much, I can't even play on the lead channel - I'm limited to cleans right now.
ow, sorry, didn't see that.

well, the magnets are pulling the strings, so you have two options, raise your action, or lower the pickups more.
I dunno man, I'm scaaaared! I already asked them to fix it and clearly they didn't!!!!!!

I should complain and get some kind of compensation out of them, haha. That is, if the customer is always right... :|
Quote by forsaknazrael
Do it, and complain. If they charged you more for it, and then didn't do it...that's BS.

Well, it was covered by a warranty, but I asked them anyways, and still, couldn't do it?! Like, come on!

I wonder if I can cut them down on my next purchase...
i'd definitely complain under warranty... if they pull some guff about how it's technically out of warranty, say that (a) you only noticed it now and (b) it was clearly a fault from the factory, and if canadian law is anything like EU law, you should be covered. i know that here if you can prove that it was an inherent fault (and/or there from the purchase date), it should be fixed under warranty.

worth a try, anyway. that's horrible QC, as azrael says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm so baffled by this, lol.

While I'm at it, I might have them wire the middle tone control to the bridge pickup. OH JEEZE, I hope I'm not asking too much! I hope they're capable of this.
My Strat had that too, but on the 6th string.

I just lowered the pickups and it went away.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
There are three screws under the saddles that hold the bridge block to the bridge plate. If they've come loose, it could explain all the problems you are experiencing (well, except for the intonation problems, that probably goes down to the nut).