im saving up for a 62 strat and i wont start making real progress until i turn 16(so i can get a job at barnes and noble) and i want to up grade it. i figured doing something with the pickups? cheap ways? i like rhcp
what???? A 62 Jay Turser Strat? Fill me in, what does that mean? When I hear 62 Strat, I think of a 1962 Fender Stratocaster, an axe which needs no mods at all!
EDIT: Have you a pic or a description? Preferably both!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Mar 4, 2009,
Quote by ValoRhoads
what???? A 62 Jay Turser Strat? Fill me in, what does that mean? When I hear 62 Strat, I think of a 1962 Fender Stratocaster, an axe which needs no mods at all!

ah, i see where the confusion could come from, i want to buy a 62 fender stratocaster, how can i upgrade my beginners guitar
ok, what is the beginner's guitar? have you a pic or a description? What's it made out of, what neck joint, what bridge? Gimme some details and I'd be glad to give you some ideas!
tuners. definitely
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I'm gonna level with you... The main body is probably agithas, with a flame maple top. Agithas is a bad tone wood. The neck is made of cheap maple with a knock off rosewood fretboard, the pickups and hardware are crap. But this is not all bad, here's a quick lesson: A cheap guitar can sound great with a great amp.... A great guitar will still sound crap with a crap amp! Delay your wish for a 62 strat (for now!) Get a kickass amp, still using the Jay guitar, and get the strat later!
EDIT: The amp is the key to tone, not the axe!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by ValoRhoads
I'm gonna level with you... The main body is probably agithas, with a flame maple top. Agithas is a bad tone wood. The neck is made of cheap maple with a knock off rosewood fretboard, the pickups and hardware are crap. But this is not all bad, here's a quick lesson: A cheap guitar can sound great with a great amp.... A great guitar will still sound crap with a crap amp! Delay your wish for a 62 strat (for now!) Get a kickass amp, still using the Jay guitar, and get the strat later!
EDIT: The amp is the key to tone, not the axe!

so what do you recomend for about $600-$800
Last edited by pwnagegnome at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by pwnagegnome
so what do you recomend for about 600-800

anamp??
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
trust me, go tube as soon as possible! I mucked about in SS land for far too long! For your budget, carvin has a few heads you can afford, check out www.carvin.com... I play a vintage Carvin X100B, and I love it! Check out the new model, the head is in your range!
wht type of music do you play?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
wht type of music do you play?

funk and grunge, a lot of red hot chili peppers
Quote by ValoRhoads
trust me, go tube as soon as possible! I mucked about in SS land for far too long! For your budget, carvin has a few heads you can afford, check out www.carvin.com... I play a vintage Carvin X100B, and I love it! Check out the new model, the head is in your range!

good for my music style?
As a fellow RHCP and Grunge Player (as well as a person that thinks Turser guitars are good beginner guitars) I say get A Roland Cube 30x (you laugh now but the JC Clean channel on that baby is so sweet, Its indescribable unless you try it) thats about $275. That leaves you with money to buy pickups and tuners. For the former get some lindy fralens great for clean strat tones, for the latter get some Sperzel locking tuners. That should still leave you with some money in your strat fund.

If you wanna get a tube amp (although I still say the Cube 30 can do it all) you should check out the Orange Tiny Terror
UG's Prodigal Son
If you plan on using the whammy bar, you might want to get a bigger trem block, and better tuners and a better nut.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/sosttrblfima.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gostchlotusi.html

Just want to know, I don't know if those will fit, but they are pretty cheap. You can get graphite nuts off of ebay.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22