Page 1 of 2
How can I learn to properly roll a guitar cable nice and neat? I know this seems trivial, but ****, I don't know how to do it, and videos don't really help because they're all too fast.
Learn Geometry.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
there are natural curves in the cable, and they're all about the same size, once you found the curves, use them to roll the cable, i dunno if im clear, just try to find videos of that.
Hold one end in your hand and wrap it around your elbow back into your hand then elbow then hand.

Repeat as needed
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Grab one of the jacks in your left hand with your palm out. picture it like you're thrusting at someone with a sword. The jack should be facing you.

Then with your other hand, pinch the cable (not too tightly) with your thumb and forefinger. Then just run your thumb and forefinger down the cable and lightly twist it so that it makes a loop.

just keep doing that.

honestly you just need a visual lesson for this.

edit:
Quote by GNiCk89
Hold one end in your hand and wrap it around your elbow back into your hand then elbow then hand.

Repeat as needed

do NOT do that!

I'm gonna be a wire nazi. This is something that i got scolding for doing when i started helping out setting up shows at my college.

Apparently by doing that, the wires that are being pulled by your elbow (you know, as you wrap the wire) have a really easy time fringing and bending on the inside.

I know it seems a little rediculous, and i don't mean to be a total you-know-what about such a stupid thing, but i'm just saying. They didn't make this stuff up.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Mar 4, 2009,
But that's the problem, all the videos I find go fast as ****, and are from a reverse angle.
Quote by BassFishin
Grab one of the jacks in your left hand with your palm out. picture it like you're thrusting at someone with a sword. The jack should be facing you.

Then with your other hand, pinch the cable (not too tightly) with your thumb and forefinger. Then just run your thumb and forefinger down the cable and lightly twist it so that it makes a loop.

just keep doing that.

honestly you just need a visual lesson for this.

Sounds sexual.
Quote by heaven's gate
Sounds sexual.

Yea, pretty much.
IF you've got a really long cable, you should get like some sort of reel, so you can just wrap around that, but normally I just keep laying it over in halves (Not good for the cable, I know, but I don't have them wrapped up much)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by BassFishin

do NOT do that!

I'm gonna be a wire nazi. This is something that i got scolding for doing when i started helping out setting up shows at my college.

Apparently by doing that, the wires that are being pulled by your elbow (you know, as you wrap the wire) have a really easy time fringing and bending on the inside.

I know it seems a little rediculous, and i don't mean to be a total you-know-what about such a stupid thing, but i'm just saying. They didn't make this stuff up.

Good looking out
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Quote by fattyDQ
That link didn't say anything. I win the **** out of you

Scroll down, sir.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by fattyDQ
That link didn't say anything. I win the **** out of you

Links can't talk.

Also, by clicking more links you can see step by step procedures.
Quote by SoftOath
hmmm yes...indubitably

Though one must agree that what i said was accurate, and trust me, i could have worked in some sexual material. I'm a guy, so naturally this popped into my warped little brain.
I fail at life. I'll just have to ask someone in person I guess, I'm too retarded to learn to do it via internet
Quote by fattyDQ
I fail at life. I'll just have to ask someone in person I guess, I'm too retarded to learn to do it via internet

That sucks, it isn't a hard concept.

Close the thread, then.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
That sucks, it isn't a hard concept.

Close the thread, then.

Well gee, if it's so easy, I wish someone would help me instead of posting sarcastic answers implying that I'm retarded and videos from reverse angles
Quote by fattyDQ
Well gee, if it's so easy, I wish someone would help me instead of posting sarcastic answers implying that I'm retarded and videos from reverse angles

Don't hate, appreciate.
Quote by fattyDQ

Let me try to explain...

Hold a jack in your left hand. With your right hand, hold onto a point of the cable about 2-3 feet (or roughly a shoulder's width) from the jack that is in your left hand.
Now using your index and middle fingers and thumb of your left hand, start rolling the cable towards you. With the index, middle, and thumb of your right hand, roll the cable away from you. This way you should at least be able to find the natural coils of the cable.

This sounds kinda nuts, but it makes sense to me. Guys, call me out on this one if its worded poorly.
Why doesn't some asshole just post a video showing how to do this from a FIRST PERSON angle instead of from the reverse angle? I don't mean someone on here, I mean the people that have posted video guides on how to roll cables that don't help worth ****.
Okay.

1) Grab cord.
2) Put cord, with jack hanging out from your hand, around your fingers, towards the large knuckles.
3) Wrap once around, leaving some slack.
4) Open fingers up as far as you can go, while keeping your thumb on the cord for support.
5) Wrap the cord around your extended fingers, leaving no slack and keeping it nice and tight.
6) Wrap until BOTH ends of cord(jacks) are facing the same direction(downward).
7) Hold firmly at the top of the cord, keeping it from untangling.
8) Put on hanger you wish, keeping the ends of the cords facing down so they won't tangle up.
9) ????
10) Profit!
Follow me on Twitter
I fold mine into halves, then tie it.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by fattyDQ
Why doesn't some asshole just post a video showing how to do this from a FIRST PERSON angle instead of from the reverse angle? I don't mean someone on here, I mean the people that have posted video guides on how to roll cables that don't help worth ****.

If you honestly can't work it out from a reverse angle, as in you actually CANNOT do it, then how the hell you're able to play the guitar at all is a total mystery.

EDIT: And people aren't obliged to help you so don't call them assholes.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by BassFishin

do NOT do that!

I got chewed out for that once, too!
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
If you honestly can't work it out from a reverse angle, as in you actually CANNOT do it, then how the hell you're able to play the guitar at all is a total mystery.

EDIT: And people aren't obliged to help you so don't call them assholes.

I didn't call anyone an asshole. And I don't know how not being able to roll a cable means I must suck at guitar, I happen to think I'm pretty proficient at guitar, I've just never taken the time to learn to roll a cable in person.
I learned from my brother, who learned from his old roadie. I'd make a video to show you, but meh.
Quote by fattyDQ
I didn't call anyone an asshole. And I don't know how not being able to roll a cable means I must suck at guitar, I happen to think I'm pretty proficient at guitar, I've just never taken the time to learn to roll a cable in person.

Aye, but you did. If you still need extra assistance, PM me and I will gladly go through with you, step by step, on how to roll up a cable.
Follow me on Twitter
Put some thumbtacks in the wall, and put enough so your cable can sit straight across em
I like the around the elbow method, it's the only way I could get it looking perfect, but someone said that was wrong.
Page 1 of 2