Alright, so as of lately I've been practicing with my guitar unplugged, so when I play unplugged or on a clean setting, my playing sounds tight/clean and amazing, which obviously makes sense.

The problem is, now when I go to use distortion, my playing sounds messy, which it has never has before. I've been playing guitar for around 10 years, usually through a distorted amp, so obviously I was used to the distortion, but now it's like my body has forgotten how to compensate for it. I've tried turning my gain down, which I usually only have on like 6, and still no luck.

Has anybody else gone through this or could anybody be so kind as to help shed some light on this?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
That happened to me and my cousin...

I just think you get used to the 'clean sounding' a bit to much, and honestly distortion makes even the slightly scrape sound bad in my ears, but many of my friends don't even notice it they say...

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
I also play with an outrageous amount of distortion, and after 3 months of "cleanliness" i need to get used to play more "raw" than I currently am. It seems when I got into finger accuracy I lost picking accuracy which is very important for high gain situations.
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Quote by Steven E
I also play with an outrageous amount of distortion, and after 3 months of "cleanliness" i need to get used to play more "raw" than I currently am. It seems when I got into finger accuracy I lost picking accuracy which is very important for high gain situations.

I could see that.
But, in my case, my picking and fretting are both more accurate now...unless, there's something I can't see.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Playing clean requires more accuracy with both fretting and plucking, but playing with distortion requires different kinds of accuracy which is why you need to practise with both. I find bad playing accuracy in general doesn't affect distorted as much as clean, but when you're playing with distortion you have to be very careful when it comes to string muting because notes pile up in volume much more.

You also need to be more careful about any accident harmonics you might be producing, another thing you can worry about less when playing clean. When using effects in general you need to be very careful about string muting and accidental harmonics because effects tend to amplify your sound and bring quieter overtones out.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Playing clean requires more accuracy with both fretting and plucking, but playing with distortion requires different kinds of accuracy which is why you need to practise with both.

So, you're saying that the time I've been spending playing unplugged has messed up my playing, and at the same time, improved it?
I've only been doing this unplugged thing for a couple months.
See, that's where I'm lost.
I've never had a problem in the past, in fact, I used to feel more comfortable playing through distortion.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
So, you're saying that the time I've been spending playing unplugged has messed up my playing, and at the same time, improved it?
I've only been doing this unplugged thing for a couple months.
See, that's where I'm lost.
I've never had a problem in the past, in fact, I used to feel more comfortable playing through distortion.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. See, playing distorted vs. playing clean both have advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately whatever setups you're typically going to play through you should practise in. So, if you want to play clean, practise on a clean signal, if you want to play distorted, play on distorted signals. And if you want to play in both, practise in both.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. See, playing distorted vs. playing clean both have advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately whatever setups you're typically going to play through you should practise in. So, if you want to play clean, practise on a clean signal, if you want to play distorted, play on distorted signals. And if you want to play in both, practise in both.

I understand all that.
I guess where I messed up was that I couldn't forsee it changing my playing THAT much.
Like I said, I've been playing for 10 years, so I guess I kind of took my playing for granted.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
The only reason to practise amish would be if you plan on playing amish. If you want to sound better clean, practise clean. If you want so sound better distorted, practise distorted, it's just that simple.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.