Can anyone suggest a pedal that is good for boosting the volume and/or gain for solos? Im looking for something to put over the distortion pedal im using at the moment so that both pedals would be going at once.
cheers
Last edited by andy281092 at Mar 5, 2009,
Ibanez TS9
Digitech bad monkey
Boss SD-1
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
The Bad Monkey is great for the price, much better than a Boss SD-1. The Tubescreamer is really good too, but it's a bit more expensive. If you don't own a tube amp, this whole "boost" idea won't really work the proper way...it'll just create excess feedback.

If just want volume boost, and not a tightness/more saturated gain sound, get an EQ pedal, dial in an EQ setting you like for solos, and then boost the master on the pedal up for a volume boost.
Member of the Laney Cult
i'd go for an eq, something like the mxr 10 band.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by JaykeSucks
The Bad Monkey is great for the price, much better than a Boss SD-1. The Tubescreamer is really good too, but it's a bit more expensive. If you don't own a tube amp, this whole "boost" idea won't really work the proper way...it'll just create excess feedback.

If just want volume boost, and not a tightness/more saturated gain sound, get an EQ pedal, dial in an EQ setting you like for solos, and then boost the master on the pedal up for a volume boost.

why does using an overdrive pedal to add gain and volume only work on a tube amp?

oh, right, it works on any amp. an overdrive pedal set with the drive low and the level above unity will add a bit of dirt and a volume push to even a cheap SS amp. it might push the preamp transistors into a mode where they dont sound as good, but that usually is only going to happen if you have the gain cranked to a bad sounding point anyway. sure it works a bit nicer on a tube amp because it helps hit the tubes a bit harder, but to say that it wont work properly on other amps is incorrect.
Quote by jof1029
why does using an overdrive pedal to add gain and volume only work on a tube amp?

oh, right, it works on any amp. an overdrive pedal set with the drive low and the level above unity will add a bit of dirt and a volume push to even a cheap SS amp. it might push the preamp transistors into a mode where they dont sound as good, but that usually is only going to happen if you have the gain cranked to a bad sounding point anyway. sure it works a bit nicer on a tube amp because it helps hit the tubes a bit harder, but to say that it wont work properly on other amps is incorrect.

I've never heard it work properly, so I was giving it based of my experience.
I've never seen a boost pedal idea work on a Solid State amp.
It sounded like crap, made a little bit louder but gave some whopping feedback.

That's from what I've seen. I'm not meant to go and try it on hundreds of different amps before reporting back, am I?
I gave my suggestion, which was an EQ pedal. If he's running an OD into a Distortion into a solid state amp, can you honestly tell me that'd sound good?
Member of the Laney Cult
depending on the distortion pedal and the amp, i can honestly say that it would work fine. sounding good, well that depends mostly on the amp. it will work fine on something like a ds-1 and a crate practice amp though. i used to run my overdrive into a fuzz into my pos crate amp and i never got feedback (unless i wanted it). its not going to sound as good as running my overdrive into one of my tube amps, but its a workable practice tone.

people just seem to forget that overdrive pedals are not just for using on tube amps. the whole point of an od pedal is to simulate the sound of a tube amp being overdriven, not to push a tube amp harder. yes, a lot of people use od to push their amps, but thats not what the pedals were originally created for. thats my point.
Quote by jof1029
depending on the distortion pedal and the amp, i can honestly say that it would work fine. sounding good, well that depends mostly on the amp. it will work fine on something like a ds-1 and a crate practice amp though. i used to run my overdrive into a fuzz into my pos crate amp and i never got feedback (unless i wanted it). its not going to sound as good as running my overdrive into one of my tube amps, but its a workable practice tone.

people just seem to forget that overdrive pedals are not just for using on tube amps. the whole point of an od pedal is to simulate the sound of a tube amp being overdriven, not to push a tube amp harder. yes, a lot of people use od to push their amps, but thats not what the pedals were originally created for. thats my point.

Fair enough.
The time I tried it, it didn't sound good at all and just made everything turn into a horrible fizz. That was my point.

Judging by the contradicting points of view, TS, try it out first.
Member of the Laney Cult
i u se a ts9 for a solo boost
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I used to use a bad monkey but I don't use an OD pedal anymore but I liked it. It works on solid state amps and tube amps. But basically on a solid state amp all it does is bring up the level and add more gain. On a tube amp it drives the tubes. I used to use it on a solid state amp I had because it didn't have enough gain and this pushed the gain further so it sounded saturated. Nowadays all my tube amps have plenty of gain and I used to use it to tighten it up and kinda fell for that whole thing. But when I removed it there was just so much more clarity and low end. I prefer the organic sound. I also like my guitar tone to be really clean even though its saturated.
Quote by mikeyElite
i'd go for an eq, something like the mxr 10 band.

+1

volume slider, gain slider, etc. Perfect for boosting solos.
Yeah an EQ will work if that's your thing but a lot of guys end up buying them and they hit the closet in a few weeks and never use them again. Honestly I've never had the use for one. Keep your amp with enough mids to cut and your solos should be fine in the mix honestly. But then again I always play on a lead channel where as some styles of music the lead channel is only used for lead.