thanks in advance!

okay. here's the deal. i play annotations of an autopsy,JFAC,and animosity influenced mostly, yet i cant get the same tones. (basically death metal)
im tuned pretty low - drop B.

here's what i have to work with;
My Guitar
and,
My Amp

I also have this pedal left over from my old amp (it didnt have an overdrive)
Pedal

my question is this; can i get somewhat a close sound without having to buy a new guitar or amp? i just need something that will work for a short while - cuz im working on getting a new guitar.
Not really. You can get closer by cranking the gain on the Spider, bass up, mids out, treble up.

I've never tried the pedal, so I'm not sure how it would perform. Put some thicker strings on your guitar, so they remain tight while drop tuning. That will add a bit more clarity.
Other than that, maybe swapping out the bridge pickup for something better with higher output. Duncan Distortion or similar, Dimarzio Super Distortion, EVO, X2N etc.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by AtreyuOwnz
- cuz im working on getting a new guitar.

Personally, I would ditch the amp and the pedal and start over but that's just me. I wouldn't spend any money on pickups or a new guitar. I also don't see how that pedal is going to work well with a Spider III.

The 6505+ modelling on the Vypyr for example is what I would be after if you like modelling amps. Or the new 6505+ combo coming out soon if you want to check out an all tube amp.
thanks for replies guys.
i messed around with my settings as JaykeSucks said and i got closer to the sound im looking for.
i have actually been eyeballing a 6505 for awhile, but i need the combo because im limited on space right now, and the venues im playing are not too big so there really is no need for a half stack at the moment. i just need to money for the stuff, thats always the catch XD.

oh yeah, and im ditching the pedal, i dont really need it. im just gunna sell it for as much as possible and put the money towards something else.
Quote by danecave13
6505. that being said listen to real death metal bub.

this
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by danecave13
6505. that being said listen to real death metal bub.

No U! JFAC rule n00b.
TS - you can definetly get a usable tone out of the spider, but you will have to play around with the EQ. That is the key.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No U! JFAC rule n00b.
TS - you can definetly get a usable tone out of the spider, but you will have to play around with the EQ. That is the key.

No, JFAC sucks. Listen to Death.
Now back on topic. Like I said, get a 5150 or a Vypyr or Tube Vypyr.
hey that pedal is a good one for what you need. listen if it were me i would try running the spyder totally clean and then using the metal core as a preamp. I used to do something similar to this. Basically the idea is that all of the distortion and most of the "eq"ing comes from working with the pedal and the amp is used basically as a poweramp. So you can change the eq on the amp to suit different rooms and live situations but really all you need to touch once you get it set up how you like is the amp volume. Also this makes the pedal act as an amp switcher and when you turn it off, you are playing clean instantly.
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
DigitechRP250Multi-effect
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
JimDunlupXtraHeavyPicks\m/
\m/=my live setup
Silly people, I'm just having a little fun with this. No, you go listen to Death. I've listened to Chuck more than enough.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
While your guitar is in need of improvement, your amp is even more need for improvement. Depending on how much money you can gather up, look for the Peavey 5150 or 6505 combo, pretty much the default amp if you want deathcore(JFAC) tone.
Quote by jdmurrayz
Fap energy comes from the soul, not the body.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Silly people, I'm just having a little fun with this. No, you go listen to Death. I've listened to Chuck more than enough.

Its cool
Like everyone else is saying, in time, go for a 6505/5150 combo amp (they're pretty much the same thing. 5150 was Eddie Van Halen's signature amp, and when he left Peavey, he took the '5150' trademark with him).

The Vypyr is a surprisingly nice modelling amp too, which would get you closer to a deathcore style tone than the Spider will.

But yeah. Just mess around with the EQ a bit, and you should get close-ish.
Can you describe what's wrong with your current tone? We can help you tinker better if you can describe what's wrong with it, and what you want to change.
Member of the Laney Cult
I've messed with the EQ and ive gotten kinda close(ish).
Just doesn't give the heavy heavy lows im looking for, even when the guitar is down to drop B.

As I said, i'm eyeballing a 6505 combo (i dont expect to be playing any large venues soon, so again the half stack is not needed at this point.) But being 16, and just now starting a job, $1,000 is taking me some time to save

I thought about trying the pedal too, might as well right?
but it ended up being M.I.A now, right when i wanted it.

im gunna get the guitar first, because a friend of mine has the same one (without the floyd rose) and played it through my amp so i could hear it. (being left handed makes it a pain in the arse to try out guitars.) and it got pretty damn close.

Then after the guitar, im gunna save and save and save until that 6505 is mine

thanks guys, you're great
^ focus on the amp first, trust me the spider will not bring out any good in the new guitar if you were to get one
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Drop 500 into a guitar and get 500 into the amp. Buy a 5150, and idk, an agile? (Swap Pups). Most importantly is a new amp so go with that first.
First don't use the Amp's distortion, I have a Line 6 Spider III too, it's distortion sucks.

I also have the same pedal as you, use the pedal with the amp using the following settings for good sound.

LEVEL: 9 O Clock.
LOW: 12 O Clock.
HIGH: 3 O Clock.
GAIN: 2 O Clock.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Trust bro, the new guitar will make less of a difference than the new amp.
Out of sheer boredom, I played my little brother's Epiphone Les Paul Special (one of the worst Epiphones you can get) through my Laney GH50L, and it still sounded fairly beasty.
The 6505 1x12 combo sounds like a pretty safe bet for you. I didn't know they made them, but I'm pretty glad they are.

So yeah. Good luck!
Member of the Laney Cult