Hey ya'll,
I am playing a no-name locally made guitar for like 2 years.

After convincing myself that I can finally buy a real electric guitar, I've been researching for it on the net. I got this. It is in Indian rupees, so going here, I find that it is $294.50 in USD.

My question: Is it a good deal? What about the guitar's quality? I play Metal, Hard Rock, Grunge and the Blues. Any suggestions?
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.

Squire strat
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
What's your overall budget? It'd be better to pair a decent amp like a peavey vyper or roland cube with a cheap guitar than to get a starter pack.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
What's your overall budget? It'd be better to pair a decent amp like a peavey vyper or roland cube with a cheap guitar than to get a starter pack.

like $350

Both for the amp and the guitar

Quote by flabber.gast

Peavey vypyr 15 = $100

That leaves $250 for the guitar.I'd suggest looking on the used market,you could probably get a guitar that would be $400 or $500 when it was new for what's left of your budget.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Nah, don't get a Squier, you can do better for that much.

The thing is, when you buy in packs, even if the guitar they give you is decent, the amp and other stuff usually isn't.

Here's what I recommend for the guitar:
Agile AL-2000 Guitar - $210 - http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000whitegoldhw.html

Amp wise, you want to go with either a $125 Roland Micro Cube or a Peavey Vypyr 15. The Cube is better for metal but the Vypyr will give you better all-around versatility.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-102542180-i1175936.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm
Squier Strat...every good guitarist started on one (or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel beter)

But really though, you won't regret going with a Strat pack if you really want a starter package. However, like Pr0gNut said, since about 90% of your tone comes from your amp, have you considered just upgrading your amp soon and keep the guitar you have now for a bit longer?
I'd go for a Peavey Vyper or a Vox DA5, and then... well, what kind of guitars do you like? More traditional Les Paul-like or more extreme shapes?

Regardless, I've become quite attached to ESP/LTD. Most of the 50-models should go for about $250, give or take $50.
A Roland Cube 15x should be just over $100, leaving you £200 for a guitar and some change for a pedal or whatever. Cort do pretty good strat and super strat types in that price group and I never heard any complaints. That combination will get you close to the various needs and is especially good for metal tones.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

well, cubes and vypyrs are awesome amps, going used will probably be your best friend. How much do ibanez rg321mh's go for used?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by Kite2411
Squier Strat...every good guitarist started on one (or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel beter)

But really though, you won't regret going with a Strat pack if you really want a starter package. However, like Pr0gNut said, since about 90% of your tone comes from your amp, have you considered just upgrading your amp soon and keep the guitar you have now for a bit longer?

I've had my strat for five years now and im gunna sell it for custom SG. Im a bit sad, i thought it was a good guitar.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by splamron
well, cubes and vypyrs are awesome amps, going used will probably be your best friend. How much do ibanez rg321mh's go for used?

Well they're like 300 new right? I'm sure TS could get either a used or a dent and scratch model with his budget.That'd be a pretty good guitar,if TS likes Ibanez that is.

^, mm, 321's are great guitars. Look into those TS
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Here I found this at $300. I called the bajao people and they said they will provide a student discount of $50.

I think it's a really good deal.
Advice? Amps?
Quote by flabber.gast

LP specials are junk. You'll grow out of one VERY quickly.

Go looking for one of the Ibanez RG321MH's that have been mentioned already. I honestly can't think of a better guitar in it's price range ($300-550)
^^ You mean this?

It's like $ 370, I'm afraid I can't afford that.

Edit: ok i got a better deal on those $300 for that and a roland cube because of the student discount. I'm gonna check them out. Thanks a lot guys
Quote by flabber.gast

Last edited by Rocker_geek at Mar 5, 2009,
Just save and save. Get to the lower-mid class range, you'll be set for years.

Avoid trashy package stuff, get a roland minicube.

Theres a reason we're suggesting these things,.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^^
dude i was talking about the Ibanez RG321MH
and i'll get the roland microcube as my amp
thanks all of you
Quote by flabber.gast

^^^ yes.
Quote by flabber.gast

The microcubes are great practice amps for beginners. They sound fine at low volume and produce a good range of sound. For the guitar make sure it is well setup from a decent shop as this makes a big difference. A badly setup guitar whatever the price will sound and play poorly.
get what the guy said before. Agile al-2000. Best deal ever dude
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Agile is my recommendation or Schecter.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I really wish people would stop blithely suggesting Agiles to people who live outside North America.
Sry, forgot that they dont ship outside. My bad. Doesnt vintage ship though? Isnt that like the european equivalent?
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Just go to a local shop, like music & arts and tell one of the employees your price range and TRY OUT THE GUITAR!!!! I personally have always thought used guitars usualy sound better than new ones and will always be cheaper.
I don't know much about amps, but I got my first starter pack at a local music shop for about $200, including a Used Yamaha Pacifica and that has lasted me amazingly well! Thats what I would recommend.