so this is a cover of autumn leaves i made cause i got bored. let it be known that at college, im a classical student. ive never played jazz in my life, i dont know any upper level jazz improv techniques, tritone substitution and assigning modes to chords and whatnot. i dont even own a jazz guitar. this is just something i did for fun to try to branch out. but i am full on admitting, that its not very good, i made it for educational purposes so it could be critiqued. so...yeah, give me advice on what to do better, if i stick to certain modes too long, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r8wzeqAhEU
Quote by Don't Read This
i think it sounds pretty good try to avoid those bending licks that's more bluesy jazz is more mellow

but my teachers say that jazz is routed in the blues :/

maybe i should just stick to classical, at least i understand it better lol
Jazz and Blues are inter-related however jazz guitarists rarely use bends, instead they slide up or down the string. As for the performance: not bad, the backing track is seriously distracting though. I'd say you're a bit stiff playing this tune. Jazz (and blues) need feeling and some heart and soul put into it that can't taught or learned through books to really come across as genuine. Keep at it!
Last edited by jayr123guitar at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by jayr123guitar
Jazz and Blues are inter-related however jazz guitarists rarely use bends, instead they slide up or down the string. As for the performance: not bad, the backing track is seriously distracting though. I'd say you're a bit stiff playing this tune. Jazz (and blues) need feeling and some heart and soul put into it that can't taught or learned through books to really come across as genuine. Keep at it!

thanks. on a related note, you are ****bricks good
I thought it was a solid improv, Im not an expert on scales by any means but was that jazz scale or just a standard pentatonic, it sounded nice with the backing track i am just curios
started out in Phyrgian, went to dorian, then finished in pentatonic. doesnt really matter, all contain the same general notes
I thought it was good considering you said you don't play Jazz. You made the scales and modes you were using sound musical and for me thats what improvising is all about. :-)
Nice one!