i just scored a mint 5150 ll off ebay... waiting on funds to score a cab. 90% certain on a vader cab. here's the problem... i play death and grindcore. i keep hearing about the 5150 ll not having enough gain or it has more gain but no balls. lacking in low-end thump that the original 5150 has. i plan on doing a full re-tube and adjusting the bias. what can i do for this amp to get that low-end crunch? i play in drop b and standard c...
If a 5150 doesn't have enough gain for deathcore or grindcore, then I'm not sure what does, lol.

If it comes with cheaper tubes like Sovtek's in them, replace them with better quality stuff like Tung-Sol, JJ, or Mullard. Go to www.dougstubes.com or www.thetubestore.com and they can help you out with picking the right tubes for you.

The cab and speakers will also be very influential to the overall tone. If running straight doesn't cut it for you, you can also look into an EQ pedal to help.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
If a 5150 doesn't have enough gain for deathcore or grindcore, then I'm not sure what does, lol.

If it comes with cheaper tubes like Sovtek's in them, replace them with better quality stuff like Tung-Sol, JJ, or Mullard. Go to www.dougstubes.com or www.thetubestore.com and they can help you out with picking the right tubes for you.

The cab and speakers will also be very influential to the overall tone. If running straight doesn't cut it for you, you can also look into an EQ pedal to help.

vader 4 X 12 straight cab good for this amp? i called doug(dougtubes) the other day... he recommended ruby power tubes not sure about the preamps. he said it was gonna run me about $150 to retube. he said i would have to do a bias mod if i wanna run the ruby's. not sure how to do that. sorry... i'm a drummer trying to play guitar
Vader cabs are great stuff. I'd wait to see how it sounds before bothering about biasing and retubing.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Yeah, see how the amp and cab sound together before you do any retubing or mods to the amp. I've never played through a Vader cab, but they're supposed to be great. As far as the bias mod goes, if you don't know what you're doing, the best thing to do is to take it to a tech. But as far as I know, it's basically making adjustments to the bias of the power amp so that it can properly run a certain set of tubes.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
The 51502 has PLENTY of gain. What you are talking about is the green channel. The green channel on the 51502 does not have near as much gain as the one on the regular 5150. But this is the clean/crunch channel. The lead channel on the regular 5150 only has a tad bit more gain so it's not even noticeable. You can't use all of it on neither one of them. I prefer the 51502 over the 5150. It sounds tighter to me and a lot of others thing so too. If you were boosting the green channel like some people here prefer then you'd want the original 5150. But if you plan on using the lead channel for your distortion channel then it will not matter. I keep the gain on 6 on my 5150 2 (6505+)
Quote by shark slime
vader 4 X 12 straight cab good for this amp? i called doug(dougtubes) the other day... he recommended ruby power tubes not sure about the preamps. he said it was gonna run me about $150 to retube. he said i would have to do a bias mod if i wanna run the ruby's. not sure how to do that. sorry... i'm a drummer trying to play guitar

Well the vadar is a perfect cab for it. The bias mod you won't need. Get some tubes that works with it. You can bias mod later on if you really think it needs it. Honestly I have one with a bias mod and one without and I play the one without more than the one with. I really don't think it needs it. The way it is stock sounds damn good to me. Don't pay for something that you might not even need. Just put some tubes in it that work and see how you like it. Chances are you won't even need the bias mod.
I had also heard that he 5150 II just doesn't growl like the original.
The other day I played a 5150II in a local music store and was playing As I Lay Dying with the gain on about 7, you'll be fine for all types of metal. With an OD that thing would be BEASTLY!!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Dude, the 5150 is will have enough gain. I have one, it'll work fine.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Listen to Chimaira if you're worried about the gain and lowend from a 5150 II.

Then you won't be worried anymore.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Keep in mind that these amps are also fixed-bias. You'll have to get it modded to add a bias point to it.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
the bias mod makes it way better, imo, but either way it will have gain leaking from every orifice. and the vader is excellent, A+
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Van Noord
Listen to Chimaira if you're worried about the gain and lowend from a 5150 II.

Then you won't be worried anymore.

Yep and Chimaira are using stock 5150 2's and 6505+'s. No bias mod or anything. All stock. And no OD pedal either.
Quote by hcsn2008
Yep and Chimaira are using stock 5150 2's and 6505+'s. No bias mod or anything. All stock. And no OD pedal either.
+1. If you have tone in your hands and know how to use an amp properly, you can make it scream. It comes down to what you do with an amp, not what it does with you.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
+1. If you have tone in your hands and know how to use an amp properly, you can make it scream. It comes down to what you do with an amp, not what it does with you.

Yeah Matt uses a regular 6505 as his main amp and rob has a 6505+ they quit using engl powerballs they went to them for a while and dropped them. Rob said the 6505 had much more balls. Rob's settings are...

Pre-8
low-6
mid-8
high-6
resonance-8
presence-8

My personal settings are different from robs they are...
pre-6
low-8
mid-3
high-5
resonance-8
presence-5

After having the 5150's and 6505's for years those settings seem to be perfect. To many mids sounds to twangy to me and 3 and 4 cuts well enough. I also used to use my presence at 8 like ROB but it cleans up your tone a lot to turn it down and sounds much more brutal.
what's a killer od i can get to run with this amp? deffinently gonna get the vader. i'd like to get the jj high gain tubes but i keep hearing about d.o.a.'s from euro tubes.
winged c are really good tubes.
i wouldnt say it needs od, but a bad monkey or tubescreamer is always a good tightener
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
winged c are really good tubes.
i wouldnt say it needs od, but a bad monkey or tubescreamer is always a good tightener

what do y'all think about the ruby sls gcmstr power tubes? i called dougtubes today. that seems like he really knows his stuff! for a totall retube he quoted me at $145. thats power and pre tubes! i wanna go all jj but i keep hearing about jj's shipping D.O.A.
i LOVE the ruby 6L6gcmstr's they are great, i have a 6505+ with the ruby 6l6mstrs
and in preamp i have
v1-tung sol reissue
v2+3 penta lab
v4+5 rubyC5's and in
v6 a EH

my settings are
pre-9
low-8
mid-0(only with this amp, sounds great i swear)
high-7
resonance-10
presence-10

amp i will swear to this setup until the day i die. (or the next best thing comes out)

also i use a
Vadar cab (4ohm)
Schecter diamond series c1 classic all blacked out with emg81/85's in it,
and
ISP Decimator pedal (best noise reduction technology out there)

and of course this is ALL IMO
If people are telling you that the 5150 II is drastically different in terms of tone from the 5150, then they have no idea what they're talking about.
Quote by styleriscool

my settings are
pre-9
low-8
mid-0(only with this amp, sounds great i swear)
high-7
resonance-10
presence-10

Dear God...
The 5150 has a lot of mids to throw around but that, along with the other EQ settings is going to sound fucking horrible
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 6, 2009,
Vader cabs kick ass.

There's a bias knob mod you can do to the 5150 series that allows you to bias the power tubes hotter if you want that sound (they come from the factory biased cold), and yes the stock tubes on amps tend to be sucky, but it should be fine. I can't tell you how many deathcore bands use the 5150 series =/

And it's VADER, not VADAR! Learn to spell, people -.-
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If people are telling you that the 5150 II is drastically different in terms of tone from the 5150, then they have no idea what they're talking about.

Dear God...
The 5150 has a lot of mids to throw around but that, along with the other EQ settings is going to sound fucking horrible

Yep that is the worst settings I have ever seen posted here. A lot of people do that crap. For one just because they turn their presence and highs all the way up on their solid state amp DONT DO IT ON THE 6505. On a lot of solid state amps I too turn my presence near maxed out. But on the 6505 that's freaking ear screeching and horrible. And the more you put of something the less you get of something else with this amp. If you got to many highs you don't get as many lows. I hate when I go see a band play live that has their presence up on the 5150's. It hurts my ears and I walk out with a head ache. You don't want to hurt peoples ears.

Keep your mids on atleast 3. On 0 it's like being in a hole. Keep your presence on 5

And if you got your gain that high something is wrong with you man. Try raising your pickups or something.
Haha yeah, although I'm quite guilty of having the presence of my 6505+ quite high purely because it does jack **** up until 9, where inbetween 9 and 10 it does shitloads xD
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
normal 5150's have too much gain

you can turn it up to 7 max after that it just adds fizz and mud
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Haha yeah, although I'm quite guilty of having the presence of my 6505+ quite high purely because it does jack **** up until 9, where inbetween 9 and 10 it does shitloads xD

I used to have mine on 8. But I kept hearing all these 5150's that sounded much more brutal to mine and I noticed they had their presence on 5 and below. I tried it and it sounded much more brutal. It has more of a low end sound to it like that. If you do it while you are used to it at 8 it might sound in a hole a little bit. But before you even play put it on 5. Then play and you'll see. It also takes a lot of the fizz out of the sound. Like I said with this amp the more you put of something the less you get of something else. So with the presence at 8 you get less low end than the presence down. I keep my resonance at 8. But I like a good chunky low end mean sound to it. I keep the gain on 6 on my 6505+ my pickups have a lot of gain to them. But on my guitars with emg's I sometimes turn it up to 7 or so because they don't have as much gain to them as a d sonic or schecter super rock 2 pickups.
Quote by SquierLolz
normal 5150's have too much gain

you can turn it up to 7 max after that it just adds fizz and mud

yeah..the 6505+ has just as much gain really. It's barely noticeable. Now talking about the green channel.... The green channel on the regular 5150 has a lot more gain than the 2 or +6505. So people boosting the green channel and using it for a lead might notice that. But on the lead channel they are so close I mean it's difficult to tell.
yeah... i think im gonna go through dough's tubes... now i need to learn how to da a bios mod. i do have digital muti meter...