After years of playing my guitar through a Korg PX4D and some headphones, I'm finally joining the ranks of those with pedals and an amp.

My question is this: Generally speaking, in what order do people place their pedals?

I understand that there will be myriad variations for a variety of reasons unique to each guitarist, but I'm just trying to figure out what the general consensus is- tuner-volume-distortions-flangers-etc.? Tuner-distortion-volume-flanger-etc.?

I'm just trying to find a starting point.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
searchbar......anyways rule of thumb would be tuner first since we re assuming it doesnt do anything to your tone....then your wah pedal...then your ods and distortions...and the rest i d put in the fx loop.
Hey man,

As far as I know, the most common and approved pedal order is:

-guitar-wah-volume-distortion and overdrive(in order of amount of gain, low to high)-delay-modulation(i.e. chorus and phase and flange)-tremelo-reverb-amplifier...

Peace
2004 Epi SG w/ "The Original Sin"
SD JB, SD P-Rails, Graphtech nut and bridge,
Maestro vibrato, 1 volume, rest disengaged.
Vox V847a
Digitech DF-7
DOD 7-band EQ
Vox AC-50 Classic Plus
One perfect fiancee..
searchbar

That's where I started- most of what came up was people talking about their unique setups and how to do this or that, not a general, basic, "what goes first" post.

At any rate, thanks a lot guys!

Related question: I have a rotary pedal- what should it be considered so that I can "properly" place it in the chain? Is it technically a delay effect? Modulation? Tremolo? Reverb?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!