G'day Guys,

Im looking for some help!

I've been playing for about a year now and have tired of the sound of the stock pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

I was looking at fitting a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck.

I understand this is a pretty common modification but I have some questions.

a) Will the pickups drop straight in or will the guitar require some mods to fit the new pups?

b) Is it really worth updating the other electrics inside the guitar? If so, any recomendations?

c) By any chance does anyone have any links to any instructional videos on how to install the new pickups?

For the record I've had plenty of experience modding electricals, just not guitars.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks very much

Cheers,

Mick
The pups will just drop right on in. They're five wire instead of two, so you /do/ actually have to read the instructions if you've never done it before.
It's not as hard as it seems. solder here, solder there, put some shrinkwrap around wires that're connected together.... if you know how to solder and read, you're okay.

Tell me how they sound in the paul, by the way. I've been lookin to do the same thing to mine.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Thanks very much for your help!

Consider it a deal, I'll post a video once they're fitted (will probably be in about amonths time)

Cheers
If you pay attention to how you take the pups out, you will have no problems putting the new ones in. They should just drop right in, no problems.

I have an epi SG with a 59 in the neck, and a 59 trembucker in the bridge. I think it sounds killer in the bridge spot, but depending on the set up I've found it gets a little muddy/flubby in the neck. I think alot of that though has to do with the set up.
Quote by Mick_Guest
a) Will the pickups drop straight in or will the guitar require some mods to fit the new pups?
unsolder the connections for the old pickups. tie strings around the end of the wires so when you pull the cables out, the string will be in the channels. unscrew the mounting rings, remove the pickups and pull the cables through the channels. Reverse the process to put the new ones in. Easy-peasy.

Quote by Mick_Guest
b) Is it really worth updating the other electrics inside the guitar? If so, any recomendations?
Epi selector switches are really crappy. Buy a new Switchcraft selector and replace it while you have your guitar apart. Save having the grief later. If your pots are noisey when you turn them, replace now. Else just leave them stock.

Quote by Mick_Guest
c) By any chance does anyone have any links to any instructional videos on how to install the new pickups?
can't help you there. This is so easy, I never thought to even look for a vid.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
there's a video on the seymour duncan site of him swapping out the pups of an LP if you wanna watch it TS.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Thanks so much for your help everyone.

The pots are sweet as at the moment so no need to change them.

Will changing the selector make a great difference?

And is it an easy install?
It won't make any difference at all tonally, but it also won't crap out on you and start doing an impression of a ZVex prototype during a show.
It's a very easy thing to install, same deal as the pickups. Unsolder a few connections, resolder them on the new switch.
sorry noob question, but to replace pups is it true that all you have to do is unsolder them at the selector, take them out and resolder the new ones to the same connection?
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
MacMan2001 sometimes it can be that easy but it depends on what kind of pickups are coming out and what kind are going back in. Some pickups have more wires than others and the color codes are different for different brands so you have to know which one to solder where. In some guitars the pickups are wired to the pots first instead of the switch. Either way it's not hard to swap out pickups if you take your time and follow the diagram EXACTLY.

And next time please don't bump a thread that's been dead for 4 months. You could've asked this in The Ultimate Guitar Wiring thread (link in my sig.) and probably got more responses with good advice in them.
Thanks, and apologies for the bump.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
You know, he never did specify what kind of guitar it was.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by Mick_Guest

I've been playing for about a year now and have tired of the sound of the stock pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

I was looking at fitting a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck.

Did you guys read the OP? Epi Les Paul?
We're talking about the guy who necro-bumped. He never specified what his guitar was.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
MacMan2001 bumped a thread that been dead for 4 months to ask this:
sorry noob question, but to replace pups is it true that all you have to do is unsolder them at the selector, take them out and resolder the new ones to the same connection?

It has nothing to do with the original post. I answered his question now can we please let this thread die again.