So, as I plan to order my basic recording essentials soon, a set of monitors will be part of the plan a bit later down the road.

As I don't have a huge budget to work with, I was looking into some KRK's, or Mackie MR5's as possible candidates (and have no problem going used). Nothing more than a few hundred $ for a pair. As far as what else I'll be working with goes, I'll be using a Presonus Inspire with Cubase LE, and be recording basically anything except drums (using drum programs for that), but mainly electric and acoustic guitar, and vocals with mics, and bass direct in.

But I was just curious as to what UGers have to say about these, and any other monitors worth looking into for my budget.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Behringer Thruth series. One of the few products of theirs were they got things right.

But just as with amps, you'd really ought to listen them before buying.
Last edited by Keskimaki at Mar 5, 2009,
Krks, they blow pretty much everything in the price range out of the water, the behringers are ok, theyre not absolute crap at that level. and the mackies are pretty decent.
if you're an Aussie, get a pair of 10" ashton PA speakers, if you know how to haggle you can get those mothers at under $100 each.
The krkr's are the best by far for the price.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by UltimateDud
if you're an Aussie, get a pair of 10" ashton PA speakers, if you know how to haggle you can get those mothers at under $100 each.

What the ****?

On a serious note (unlike the quoted message? I hope so anyway.. ) KRK's.

Renowned for being the best at that price point by fooking miles!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Whatever you do, don't get anything with drivers that are less than 6". Your bass response will either be naturally thin, or will be artificially exaggerated.... neither of which is good.

Also look for Yorkville stuff... and no, not PA stuff.... *actual* monitors.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Whatever you do, don't get anything with drivers that are less than 6". Your bass response will either be naturally thin, or will be artificially exaggerated.... neither of which is good.

Also look for Yorkville stuff... and no, not PA stuff.... *actual* monitors.

CT

I would suggest exactly the opposite unless you have an acoustically treated room. Large drivers with more low end response generally created huge problems in non treated rooms. You have massive amounts of low frequencies bouncing around all over the place and at least a few different wave lengths (frequencies) canceling each other when meeting. This creates massive inaccuracy.

In any home setup I would defiantly not recommend anything bigger than 5 inch woofers. DEFINITELY don't get a sub.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I don't have a treated room.... my mixes *always* translate well. 6" drivers here...

Of course, I acknowledge that *everything* about my recordings would be better if I had a treated room, but I'd really hate to try mixing anything I couldn't hear. My Yorkvilles actually reproduce a 20hz sine.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Well, 6 isn't much bigger than 5..

I still stand by what I said.

I was told this by a man who really knows his **** and works a (really ****ing nice) studio for a living. I'l take his advice over most peoples to be honest..
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Well, 6 isn't much bigger than 5..

CT

lol

Well, would there be a huge difference in low end between a 5'' or 6'' driver? For reference, most of the recording I'm doing will be in my bedroom, which isn't acoustically treated, but I'll mainly be doing close-micing of a guitar amp, and recording acoustic guitar, with some vocals. I'm looking for the best choice for this situation.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Any of the KRK Rokits.

Everyone has their own opinion on driver size (mines right.. ) so just make your own mind up on that one.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)