I have been trying to combat a hum issue that has plagued me for over 2 years. I decided to rewire my guitar, and make it as simple as possible. I wired in One EMG-81 and one Volume control. I still get hum. I have tried my setup with 4 other guitars and they are all completely silent when not playing, even with high gain. but when I use my guitar and whatever pickup I put in, it buzzes. I wired it according to this diagram...

http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/1EMG1V.pdf

I made all of the connections as clean as possible and followed the instructions. Tomorrow I am going to buy adhesive copper foil to put in the electrical cavity, pickup cavity, and the pickup itself. Am I doing something wrong? How can a connection so simple still have hum? I tried both my EMG-81 and EMG-85 and they both get the hum, so I find it unlikely BOTH of my pickups are bad. Any help? Thanks.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
Probably a dodgy grounding.
And shielding probably won't stop your hum,condsidering it's humbucker,but it's still worth doing.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
How do I fix a bad ground. I set the circuit up just fine, and have redone multiple times just to make sure. The ground in my house should be fine considering none of my friends' guitars hum.
Try swapping it with another guitar you said you have using the quick connector to isolate the problem.
did you mix passive and active or do you just have the one pup, and what value pot.

http://www.emginc.com/pdfs/faq/EMG-FAQ-Wiring-Questions.pdf
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 5, 2009,
I am using a 25k pot, which seems to be the recommended pot for active pickups. I wired the jack according to the diagram, and all I am using is one EMG-81 and one volume pot. Everything is wired according to the diagram I posted, so that is what my wiring looks like right now.
Last edited by Karg45 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by Ian hawkins
Probably a dodgy grounding.
And shielding probably won't stop your hum,condsidering it's humbucker,but it's still worth doing.

The wiring is still subject to interference, as are humbuckers in general. In fact, two coils in parallel are quieter still than two in series as in a classic humbucker.

For the TS, make sure you didn't connect the bridge ground wire. EMGs don't require it.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
I didn't connect a bridge ground wire because I read somewhere EMGs don't need it because they are internally shielded or something. I suppose I could try using copper foil to shield everything. Could my volume pot or jack be bad somehow? I don't see what could go wrong with them, but I suppose it is the only thing left that could go wrong in the circuit.
well if you fried the pot i guess.

maybe you blew on the connections to cool them as you worked.

did you try different guitar cables?
did you check that the two wires to the output jack are secure?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011