Engl Fireball or Peavey 6505?

I play lead guitar in a metal/hard rock band.

We play our own stuff and obviously some Metallica covers.

I also play music from bands such as Bullet For My Valentine and Avenged Sevenfold as well.

Which one would suit my taste better? Oh and which one will last longer? (As in which company are more renowned for quality amps)

Thanks
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Seymour Duncans
Avalon Gold series acoustic
ESP LTD 7-string

Amp:
Marshall 100DFX
Peavey Valveking 212

Effects:
Boss GT-10
they're both good amps that work for that style of music, I would personally take the Peavey, but you should really try both.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well I'd say 6505. I can name out a few bands who dropped their engl fireballs and powerballs for 6505's not to mention quite a few owners of both who prefer the 6505. Bullet for my valentine also uses a 6505 and you like their tone. The engl isn't worth the cash imo. I like the powerball better than the fireball though. But it still doesn't have the balls of the 6505 but this argument has happened many times. Just do the research and play both of them. You'll find some people prefer the engl and a lot of people would rather have the 6505. The 6505 is a bit darker to me but the engl still a fine amp.
it really depends what you want. the fireball is tighter and more clear than tha 5150, but the 5150 sounds like a 5150 an no other amp has that gain character if thats your thing. the powerball is not "better" than the fireball, they are 2 totally different amps if you actually play them. i mean the powerball does have more features if that is what qualifies it as better... i dont know, for what you play stylistically, if you gravitate to more hard rock stuff i would not choose either of these amps, they definitely have a more metal characteristic as opposed to a diezel or rectifier with more balls.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Engl..
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
owned the powerball, 6505, and fireball..ended up with the fball
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I decided to pass on a new Fireball about a month ago.

Now I want it again.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I decided to pass on a new Fireball about a month ago.

Now I want it again.

Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
No worries, it's still there at the store. Waiting......
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
how much?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
how much?
$1495 Cdn.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
It depends what you're leaning towards in terms of style. They both do metal, but if you're closer to hard rock, I'd say ENGL. If you're doing some death metal, I'd say 6505.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Both amps are known for superb build quality and tone. They're also fairly similar, so I'd just listen to sound clips, and if at all possible just try them out yourself.

I'm a ***** for ENGLs though, and I see waaay too many 6505's around (they're like the Coca-Cola of amps now), so I'd personally vote for the Fireball. Plus, it has better cleans and is made in Germany
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i like the Engl better
But the 6505 was an EVH sig,
so from EVH to metalcore,
its pretty versatile
Fireballs a one trick pony
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I'm not a fan at all of the 6505 for... anything, honestly. I'd recommend an Engl Powerball over the Fireball; the Powerball is a lot more versatile.
Quote by ShredGod George
i like the Engl better
But the 6505 was an EVH sig,
so from EVH to metalcore,
its pretty versatile
Fireballs a one trick pony

They're actually both fairly versatile. The Peavey is really voiced more for metal, and the voicing of the fireball makes it fairly versatile. Plus, the TS wants an amp that can do metal, and probably cleans too. The Fireball will definitely be able to do the cleans better than the Peavey, and will sound as good or better with high gain.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
The Fireball will sound as good or better with high gain.

I think that's debatable really.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
youtube clips are totally accurate representations of amps :-)
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
youtube clips are totally accurate representations of amps :-)

hahaha

yeah i think i may have to agree that the engl tone does hold up better tonally and with clarity with more gain, the 5150s turn to sludge really fast, especially with drop tunings. of course tho if you are approaching this gain level i would say you are using too much to maintain a decent tone anyway!

but really just listen to all the amps on youtube and then determine what to buy
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Soundclips of the Fireball can be found here.
http://rocksolidamps.com/index.php?contain=description&ii=41&mid=2

For ideas of 6505 tones, listen to almost anything from In Flames, Chimaira's newer stuff, and a plethora of other bands (many of them combine the sound of the 6505 with other amps like the Framus Cobra or Mesa Recto.)

Or, just check out this site

5150II clips: http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Peavey%205150%20II&section=amp
Fireball clips: http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Engl%20Fireball&section=amp

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Mar 6, 2009,