Morning all,

I'm in the market for some new pickups for my Ibby, the stock ones are... shall we say...lacking. I'd be looking for a replacement humbucker set for a bit more punch & less mud.

Music/style wise I'll be playing classic/hard rock and dashes of metal.

Budget wise, well, whatever is available on the 'bay most likely.

I'm happy with my amp/Gibson SG and pedals, just a case of one last upgrade.

So, GG&A, hit me with your recommendations/suggestions/pros & cons.

Cheers, R.M

EDIT: I'm not, or have even been reluctant to list my amp... its a Marshall JTM30 combo. And my god it roars. But it does make noticeable tone changes between my Gibson SG and the Ibanez
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Last edited by Rolling_man at Mar 6, 2009,
Wylde L500 type by Mr Bill Lawrence. Not Bill Lawrence pickups who are another company who got the name. I use one at bridge on my Yammy and it has a great range of tones from just brighter than an SG right through to metal. Better string clarity than anything else I've used.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

You can't go wrong with Dimarzio. The reason I love that company is because they offer virtually every type of tone you could want out of a pickup and their website is really helpful. If you go to dimarzio.com you can look at the charts and it shows you what each pickup does. For example how much low end or bite a pickup has and you can compare each one and make a decision. It's so accurate that you really don't have to try before you buy. And then to top it all off they are AFFORDABLE. Most of their pickups are under 100 bucks and a lot under 80 bucks.

If I was you I'd go for a dimarzio d sonic but that might not be your thing. Check out the charts at dimarzio.com and find which one you want. Just click humbuckers and high power.
Heres the info on the d sonic...
Our first heavy humbucker of the 21st century, the D Sonic™ is a high-output bridge humbucker designed for the extended low end and heavy chords that dropped tuning delivers; with serious treble response for single-note solos and standard tuning. The D Sonic™ is more than just a one-sound pickup, too. In addition to the standard series humbucking sound, our patented design utilizes 4-conductor wiring to access two different single-coil sounds plus parallel humbucking mode, for three additional sounds that are distinctive and versatile.
Tech Talk: Those of you familiar with DiMarzio® history will note the visual resemblance to our old MegaDrive™, but the design is completely different. Installation direction makes a noticeable difference in the sound, particularly with overdriven amps. With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings. With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing. Each coil has a unique tonal character, so the two split sounds are different, and parallel humbucking produces a third clean and bright sound.
I'm going to recommend HighOrder Pickups. Jeff will build you a set of humbuckers to suit your needs. He hand winds and assembles all his pickups by himself. Also, his prices are actually cheaper than a set of Duncan's or Dimarzio's. Just google the name.
Hmm, dimarzios sound interesting, but i'd always thought about SDs. would a JB/59 combo do the trick??

I also never considered custom ones either, do they tend to be higher quiality/better value?
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

i put a DiMarzio Super Distortion and Air Norton in my SG. it has more than enough guts for metal, and really shines when clean. but it's a classic/hard rock setup. never been happier with that guitar. the Super Distortion is very hot. but that shouldn't be a problem.

for SDs, i'd get an JB SH-4 and an SH-2n Jazz. that sounds great too.

but i'm all for DiMarzios...
If you want to avoid mud then get Bare Knuckle. I don't think they're capable of building a muddy pickup! They're not cheap but they are the best. What wood is your guitar made from as that will affect the choice of pickups. Check out the website.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
^this

By the way, you haven't given us a very specific description of just what it is you want from this pickup; consequently, the reccomendations already made in this thread, however nice they may be, might be exactly what you don't want.
What kind of output? EQ curve? Bridge/neck balance? Harmonic response? Be specific.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also, what amp do you have currently?

Ohh he snuck it in there, haha.

It'd be good if you listed the amp too, though, just 'cause amps are a huge part of your tone, and it's possible to also recommend pickups for your styles if we know what amp you're playin' through.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Ohh he snuck it in there, haha.

It'd be good if you listed the amp too, though, just 'cause amps are a huge part of your tone, and it's possible to also recommend pickups for your styles if we know what amp you're playin' through.

More to the point I suspect he has an unresponsive amp which won't translate the difference between pickups into tone. You could tell immediately, from his reluctancy to list his amp in the first post.

If this is not the case I apologise, but there have been too many pointless pickup threads recently.
I'll just say it again, email Jeff from HighOrder Pickups. He'll build you a pickup to your standards. He hand winds his stuff just like bare knuckle pickups and, in my opinion (my brother in law has bare knuckles by the way, played on them a ton) HighOrder's are every bit as toneful and wonderful as their much more expensive british cousins. But hey, it's your decision man, whatever tickles your pickle.
Quote by Rock Pig
More to the point I suspect he has an unresponsive amp which won't translate the difference between pickups into tone. You could tell immediately, from his reluctancy to list his amp in the first post.

If this is not the case I apologise, but there have been too many pointless pickup threads recently.

This is exactly what I think. I've had so many recent encounters over in the EG forum about people wanting new pickups, and having a brutally unresponsive amplifier like an MG/Spider. I have a nagging suspicion this thread could turn out the same way.
Here we go: Playing styles wise, a huge range from Satriani style melodies to riffing like James Hetfield, to Bluesy solos ala Jimmy Page. I tend to go for a heavy crunch/distortion, nothing too over the top.

Edited above to include amp
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by Rolling_man
Morning all,

I'm in the market for some new pickups for my Ibby, the stock ones are... shall we say...lacking. I'd be looking for a replacement humbucker set for a bit more punch & less mud.

Music/style wise I'll be playing classic/hard rock and dashes of metal.

Budget wise, well, whatever is available on the 'bay most likely.

I'm happy with my amp/Gibson SG and pedals, just a case of one last upgrade.

So, GG&A, hit me with your recommendations/suggestions/pros & cons.

Cheers, R.M

EDIT: I'm not, or have even been reluctant to list my amp... its a Marshall JTM30 combo. And my god it roars. But it does make noticeable tone changes between my Gibson SG and the Ibanez

Why the hell would you be reluctant to list that amp?

So your looking for a pair of versatile humbuckers for what I'm guessing is a basswood Ibanez? You want more clarity, more punch and you don't go over the top with the gain, also you want decent lower gain crunch and breakup sounds but at the same time like to undulge in a bit of shreddy stuff and also chunky riffing.

Pair od Dimarzio Breeds, it's an absolute no-brainer.

The JB/59 is pretty generic but the JB isn't all that great - it just seems to be the "go to" pickup every time a manufacturer wants to charge more for a model by putting better pickups in it. The Air Norton is notoriously fickle and prone to muddiness depending on how you're EQ'd.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Why the hell would you be reluctant to list that amp?

So your looking for a pair of versatile humbuckers for what I'm guessing is a basswood Ibanez? You want more clarity, more punch and you don't go over the top with the gain, also you want decent lower gain crunch and breakup sounds but at the same time like to undulge in a bit of shreddy stuff and also chunky riffing.

Pair od Dimarzio Breeds, it's an absolute no-brainer.

The JB/59 is pretty generic but the JB isn't all that great - it just seems to be the "go to" pickup every time a manufacturer wants to charge more for a model by putting better pickups in it. The Air Norton is notoriously fickle and prone to muddiness depending on how you're EQ'd.

I was the one suggesting he might be among those whose amps render a pickup change unneccesary. Just had to be sure. I agree completely with your advice.

I would just add that if you've got a decent budget Bare Knuckles are the way to go. For you I'd definitely suggest the Holy Divers; very similar to the Breeds but better, a touch smoother with more clarity. Just a better tone IMO.

Sorry for suspecting you might be among the practise amp owning pickup changers. There've just been too many lately ._.