Hey guys,

recently I posted about getting a new amp for about £1000 designed mainly for metal but being able to do other styles too.....in that post I stated I was looking for a combo.

Anyway, it just occurred to me, would I be better off getting a head and a smaller (2 x 12) cab? My main reason for a combo is because they come in at lower wattages and as I will be using this amp at home I would like to be able to keep it quiet and I was always under the impression you had to crank valves to get the best tone....

Again, thanks for your help, and if the head/cab idea is feasible any advice would be much appreciated.....needs to mainly do high gain metal, with some classic rock, a bit of blues and the odd clean thing here and there....some 90's era pop punk too, but that's just for a laugh in my covers band, so that tone isn't crucial!
Unless you're playing to like 2000+ people, just get a combo, it will save you loads of cash and you can get a raping combo for a grand.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
You'l be better off with a combo if you need to keep the volume low. But you can use an attenuator to get that cranked sound at lower volumes.

As for amp suggestions, Id suggest the obvious cliche option, The 5150.
But il leave it up to some one else to suggest some more varied options for you.
Kaya Scodelario... Wow

GEAR:
Air
Purple Tortex Jazz Picks
The only head and cab combinations I can think of that might work for you are either a JVM205 with a 2x12" or an Engl Screamer head with a 2x12". The latter will be slightly over budget.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75334
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_screamer50_e335_gitarrentopteil.htm

But honestly, you'd save yourself a lot of money if you just got the combo version of one of those. Obviously a stack will sound a bit different of course...

EDIT: Those amps are designed more for versatilty than for metal, so you should try them out to see if they sound right for what you play. If you want an amp that is REALLY good for metal and also versatile - well, those usually cost a little more (think Engl Powerball / Savage, Diezel Einstein and the like).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 5, 2009,
Honestly a combo does it just as well as a stack most of the time it's all preferences. For playing with a band I just prefer a stack. I actually use a full stack and it's not about being loud it's about the thick tone I get from running 8 12's. I can get by with 4 12's. For home use I prefer only 1 12 and I can deal with 2 12's too. I finally got me a 1x12 cab for my 6505 that I use in my bedroom and I run it on a whole stack with the band. I use my peavey vypyr with 1x12 more than anything for practice though. The thing just sounds better in that situation.
Thanks for your help, I'm taking the general opinion to be that the best idea would be to go for a good combo then....

I was looking at the 6505 combo, but was concerned about versatility, I've also been told to look at the JSX, but that's a bit over budget...any opinions/ideas?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade?
Quote by idiotbox919
Thanks for your help, I'm taking the general opinion to be that the best idea would be to go for a good combo then....

I was looking at the 6505 combo, but was concerned about versatility, I've also been told to look at the JSX, but that's a bit over budget...any opinions/ideas?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade?

A 6505 is not that versatile but it is a nice amp. The JSX is much more versatile. So far the 6505 is my main amp with my band. I used to use a JSX last year at all the gigs. For the bedroom I use a vypyr 60 tube amp to get the same tone as I get out of my 6505 with a ton of more stuff. I know people here get tired of me talking about that amp but the thing is amazing.
The Switchblade is nice, but many people will prefer a 6505 for metal. But then, a Switchblade is as versatile as it gets. Which one you'd prefer I can't tell, but I'd say it mainly depends on whether metal or versatility is more important to you.

You could look at used H&K Trilogy heads, those are all tube amps that are aimed at versatility, much like the Switchblade.
Thanks for your advice everyone....I'm going to try them all out over the coming weeks, but obviously it's nice to go in with an idea!

I think I will probably stick with my gut and go combo, unless of course something grabs me that is only available as a head!