I've been going through dozens of riffs based off the Circle of Fifths and Triads, etc etc. Just coming up with verses and choruses and a bridge here and there. What I want to know is it usual to have music written first then add lyrics?

I'm horrible at writing lyrics as sometimes I just run out of stuff to think of. Keep in mind I play punk, so the options are really limitless. So any ideas?
I read Matt Bellamy comes up with all the music for Muse first, then comes up with a vocal melody, then adds the lyrics to fit, kind of as an afterthought! If it's good enough for him...

Good luck!
you can decide how you want to do it, in my band i write music with the other guitarist and our singer jam to it untill we got a vocal melody.
then we write some lyrics and use it over the melody.
but some people write music to match the lyrics.
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
I read Matt Bellamy comes up with all the music for Muse first, then comes up with a vocal melody, then adds the lyrics to fit, kind of as an afterthought! If it's good enough for him...

Good luck!

i do the same thing cuz im horrible at writing lyrics
DECRESCENDO
Cool. I would also like to get whoever is writing the lyrics to put alot of input on my riffs. Like making choruses longer, stuff like that. Sometimes its frustrating when I get no input.