Hi, i was just wondering which pickup would be best to put into my guitar for playing hard rock or metal? And which is better active or passive? I was looking at a EMG81 or 85 and a EMG H4 or along that price range.

Thanks
Last edited by Grant22 at Mar 5, 2009,
check out duncan invaders
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
What is your amp?
Budget?

Look at Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB and SH-6 Super Distortion for bridge and SH-2n Jazz or 59' for neck.
ಠ_ಠ
active/passive? fully preferance. i personally like passives more, but metallica for instance uses actives. google it, do a research.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Personally I don't like any of the pickups that you've listed.

but it's all down to your ears.

Oh and i recommend the Dimarzio D-Activators, DiMarzio Mo'Jo for passives and Seymour Duncan AHB-1/AHB-2 Blackouts for Actives.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Grant22
I have a roland 15X, and budget is round about 130.

...................................... If you must I'd stick with passive but not emg passives. The only way with that rig that you really need new pickups though is if you have some stock pickups that sound like total crap and you are getting no clarity and can't hear your notes good. If that's the case then yes a pickup change will make your playing a little more clear. But with that amp a pickup change will not change your tone really.
Actives like EMG 81/85 are great for metal sound but they are a one-trick pony. Passives will get you metal tones but also give you more rich sound for when you need it. I prefer the old Bill Lawrence which are now called Wylde for anything from classic rock to metal.
Seymour Dincan and DiMarzio will also have something in their ranges to suit you.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Hokay I'm getting sick of all these pickup threads wherein the TS has an unresponsive little practise amp.
You blatantly don't understand how much things contribute to your sound. I suspect that you think a pickup swap will magically make your tone much better.
A pickup change won't make any difference through an unresponsive amp. Hell, many guitarists wouldn't notice the difference through a Plexi.
You have to save up for a new amp. I guarantee any problems you have with your tone are your amp at the minute.
Quote by Grant22
Well then what is a good amp to buy?

What do you want to play, how loud do you want to play it and how high can your budget go?