Hey, i have a very old guitar i inherited from the 90's its got a very comfortable body and i thought about turning into an shred guitar.

Id need to change the bolt on neck for something thinner, fit in a floyd rose and change the pick ups.

I was just wondering what else a shred guitar might need and if its easy to find all these parts I need. I also wanted to know if it is possibole to swap the whole bridge.

Finally i was wondering what action is the best for shredding.

thank you all
Gibson sg special ebony
Boss Gt-10
Roland microcube
marshall mg10

Merry birthday jesus
Make sure your bridge is floating, like on an LP but with a floyd rose.
You might also wanna get some Grover Locking tuners for your floyd rose and a locking nut.
Make the Pickup closer to the body rather than the strings, Way better for shredding.
What type of guitar is it? Does it say?

PICTURES NOW
..I was watching my death.
pics of the guitar, it might not even be worth poruing all that time and money into it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
^^ Stop. now.

1. Les Pauls have tune-o-matic. There's nothing 'floating' about it, apart from the fact that there's a part not touching the body.

2. Locking tuners are pointless on a floating trem system. You need a locking nut, thus nullifying any reason to have locking.

3. Pickup height will have no effect on playability, only tone (assuming your pups aren't hitting the strings).

The only thing that really was productive from your post was the request for pics.
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Mar 5, 2009,
Well i dont have any pics...its a strat style guitar with 2 double pups that sound like a horse trying to fart through his ears but visually it looks awesome
Gibson sg special ebony
Boss Gt-10
Roland microcube
marshall mg10

Merry birthday jesus
Quote by timbit2006
Make sure your bridge is floating, like on an LP but with a floyd rose.
You might also wanna get some Grover Locking tuners for your floyd rose and a locking nut.
Make the Pickup closer to the body rather than the strings, Way better for shredding.
What type of guitar is it? Does it say?

PICTURES NOW

Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
can you find any pics online?

If you can't tell us what you want to change, then we can't help you.

What's the scale length? 25.5" is common for strats, but there are exceptions.

Shredders often like thin necks. Look into a Wizard-style neck (Ibanez) or a jackson style neck. they're usually pretty standard.

For pickups, you'll have to listen to/play them to make a decision. PM Corduroy_EW. He can make you a custom set.

If your body's not routed for a floyd, you'll need to do that too.

That's just the basics.
------

Shwiggity.
thanks alote. what about the action for shredding? what is appropiate?
Gibson sg special ebony
Boss Gt-10
Roland microcube
marshall mg10

Merry birthday jesus
as low as possible. First, you should focus on whether you:

a) should invest money and time into this guitar

b) Can get all the parts, and install them correctly.

From there, If everything's installed properly and the guitar's got enough Integrity to actually play, you can set it up very easily.
------

Shwiggity.
Some good advice here but one point. Action is a matter of preference. Some say set it a bit high and get better clarity and more impact for tapping. But one of the best tappers (Francis Dunnery) did some of his best work on a Squier start neck with the frets milled down to about half a millimeter high and the lowest action I have ever seen. (there's a youtube vid of it.)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Pictures would be helpful to help us decide if the guitar is worth modding.
Quote by Lurcher
Some good advice here but one point. Action is a matter of preference. Some say set it a bit high and get better clarity and more impact for tapping. But one of the best tappers (Francis Dunnery) did some of his best work on a Squier start neck with the frets milled down to about half a millimeter high and the lowest action I have ever seen. (there's a youtube vid of it.)

Well, this is true hehe, malmsteen's action is high as hell (And i though my squier was high LOL) It depends what you get used to. Like i can't play without my tortex pick in 0.88 in size, i just can't =.=
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by josemontero
Well i dont have any pics...its a strat style guitar with 2 double pups that sound like a horse trying to fart through his ears but visually it looks awesome
i have nothing useful to add to this thread, but i just had to compliment you on that description.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.