So yeah, I'm kinda tied up about where I'll go for Uni next year... As of now I have an unconditional offer from Edinburgh and a conditional offer from UCL that I can make. But I really don't know where I'll go next year. I'm gonna be studying biotechnology. Any suggestions?
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
According to The Times, Edinburgh is number 13 on the Top 100 Universities in the UK list, and UCL's at 6. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll benefit more from the latter, though.

In other words, I have no idea. I've heard really good things about UCL... (I've attended a lot of their lectures and they're good).
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
im goin to edinburgh next year :P , but can't believe u got an unconiditional offer! thts amazing cause its really hard to get into. ive got a coniditional for molecular biology . you shud definitly go . it has the largest biology department in the UK and boasts a really high quality of teaching :P

there you go (y)
Quote by Demonn
im goin to edinburgh next year :P , but can't believe u got an unconiditional offer! thts amazing cause its really hard to get into. ive got a coniditional for molecular biology . you shud definitly go . it has the largest biology department in the UK and boasts a really high quality of teaching :P

there you go (y)

Plus Edinburgh is a nice place
Quote by SMH07
Plus Edinburgh is a gay place

Fixed
for pointless weegie prejudice
Have you been to both places? You should really check them both out properly before deciding.

I would say Edinburgh, but that's only because I think it'll be my insurance. :P
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

I'm having chicken nuggets for lunch.

My Day > Yours
Having finished Uni recently I can tell you that where you end up wont have that much of an affect on your Uni experience. I recommend visiting both places and walk around the cities to get a feel for what it would be like to go there and then go with your gut feeling. You cant really go wrong, they are both excellent unis so its basically where would you prefer to live for 3 years.

Frankie
Look up which one is best for the subject your doing (not just the university, which is best forthe subject) and go there.

Also don't go to edinburgh because it's full of rich knobs.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I've been to London two times for a weekend, and I have to say it was pretty awesome. But yeah, 2 weekends don't really tell me what it'd be like to live ther. I haven't been to Edinburgh but I'll probably go visit some time in April. I've looked at all sorts of rankings, and UCL is ranked a bit higher in general but Edinburgh ranks higher for biological sciences...
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Yamaha RGX 520FZ

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
Quote by HeliuM
I've been to London two times for a weekend, and I have to say it was pretty awesome. But yeah, 2 weekends don't really tell me what it'd be like to live ther. I haven't been to Edinburgh but I'll probably go visit some time in April. I've looked at all sorts of rankings, and UCL is ranked a bit higher in general but Edinburgh ranks higher for biological sciences...
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

You know what to do then, as long as you don't hate the city.

which you will, cause its full of rich twats.

unless yo're w rich twat your self, in which case you'll all get along fine
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Don't pick them over which is higher in the league tables. Listen to Frankie above and go with which one feels right and you like the feel of better as a place. Edinburgh and UCL are both amazing universities, and there's no need to pick out the discrepancies between different league table rankings.

You'll love it wherever you end up!
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

I'm having chicken nuggets for lunch.

My Day > Yours
I go UCL so it pretty much is the better place to go.
but seriously though you should just weigh up the pros and cons.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Rich twats... I wouldn't classify myself as one, but my current school is filled with them, and I'd like to get away from that :P. Is Edinburgh filled with collar popping retards? Guys that think they're the **** because of their car? Etc?
Yamaha RGX 520FZ

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
I'd also look at any differences there may be in the courses at both unis and go with whichever course you think you'd enjoy most as well as how much you like the two cities.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
UCL is pretty good. I know quite alot of people who study/studied biomed there. Teaching is good and the facilities are top notch.

Plus the union bars are nice and there is a lot of them.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
My girlfriend is doing her phd at Edinburgh, although the quality of the post grad teaching and the under grad don't necessarily relate.

Edinburgh is an ok city, but rather expensive.
both Edinburgh and UCL are excellent universities. maybe you should visit them?

also, could you live and study in the centre of London? i don't know how Edinburgh compares, but London is pretty hectic and i can imagine it's hard to escape the night life. so your studies may suffer in London.

that said, you only have to pass the 1st year; it doesn't count towards your degree. so you could max out the nightlife in London for your 1st year, and then keep your head down for years 2 and 3 (assuming it's a 3 year course).

in any case, congrats.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
I think Edinburgh will be cheaper, tis always a factor.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Blackbullet
UCL is pretty good. I know quite alot of people who study/studied biomed there. Teaching is good and the facilities are top notch.

Plus the union bars are nice and there is a lot of them.

amen brother! I could get drunk there after every lecture! I often do!
a fav being the George Birkbeck bar.
Quote by GaijinFoot
amen brother! I could get drunk there after every lecture! I often do!
a fav being the George Birkbeck bar.

I prefer the Third floor one and Huntley
add me

Quote by Blackbullet
I prefer the Third floor one and Huntley

3rd floor one? do tell!
also I notice Japanese in your sig. was thinking of taking the alpha lessons at birkbeck. what are you studying?
Quote by GaijinFoot
3rd floor one? do tell!
also I notice Japanese in your sig. was thinking of taking the alpha lessons at birkbeck. what are you studying?

Its the one near the back of the hospital on Gower street, on the....wait you guessed it, third floor.
I remember one time on 'stock market' night, when Fosters or something had crashed and was 90p a pint- 2 friends and I ruined it by buying 2 pitchers each (about 24 pints altogether) the price jumped straight back up to 2.50 or something

The Japanese in my sig is just a bit of a joke Im bilingual- brought up learning Japanese and English.
I am studying Broadcast operations and productions- so basically studying and making television. Not at UCL though- I live closer to UCL than my uni, I just go there to drink with friends.
add me

Last edited by Blackbullet at Mar 5, 2009,