Page 1 of 2
Ok, first. I realize that this question has been asked a million times. But none of the answers I could find answer my specific question. What would be some good first songs to learn that a) contain easy solos and b) are written for a single guitar and c) are good metal songs?

So I am not looking for songs that are easy minus the solo, nor songs that lack solos. Nor am I looking for easy riffs -- I want complete songs. I hate when I see people suggest something like Crazy Train as a good first song, becaus Crazy Train is actually a very difficult song to play correctly, i.e. all the way through, up to speed, the way Randy Rhodes plays it, etc.

Next, I'd prefer songs by three-peice bands, where a single guitarists plays both lead and rhythm parts, which I realize rules out a lot of good metal. (Possible exceptions can be made here if the guitars are basically just doubling up.)

Finally, when I say good metal. That means I am not looking for hard rock, e.g. Deep Purple, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc., but metal (speed, power, thrash, death, etc.). Nor do I want pop-metal stuff Korn or Slipknot or something. On the other hand, I'm not looking obscure black metal stuff either.

Any suggestions? (If my particular question has been asked before, please provide a link.)

Thanks.
You know what you actualy kind of sound like a douche from what you type becuase you have to label everything and say some of the most influential bands are not "good metal", and since A LOT of people on UG will not like you for that, I say go do **** all and learn what ever you want since you have very high preferences.
Last edited by Magnificoamar at Mar 5, 2009,
I can't think of any easy metal songs. I think one of the hallmarks of metal is that is it fast and technical. Some have easy riffs like Walk (Pantera) or Raining Blood (Slayer), but then they get bitchin' later in the song. The solo in For Whom The Bells Tolls isn't too bad so maybe that's a goer, but then Metallica obviously have two guitarists!
good luck. I can't really even think of any three-piece thrash bands off the top of my head.
Anything off of Fear Factory's first two albums: Soul of a new machine and Demanufacture.

........Brutal
Good luck to you on finding your preference, but I think you won't find anything. Crazy Train took me a month to learn, including the solo. But compared to alot of other metal riffs, its easy.
Slayer - Raining Blood.
The "solo" is just whammy wankage, so you'd be better off playing rythm.
Or check out Black Sabbath.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Learn some John Mayer.

He iz teh br00t4lz d00d.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by Magnificoamar
You know what you actualy kind of sound like a douche from what you type becuase you have to label everything and say some of the most influential bands are not "good metal", and since A LOT of people on UG will not like you for that, I say go do **** all and learn what ever you want since you have very high preferences.

1) I didn't say that the bands like AC/DC or Deep Purple are not good. I love both of those bands. I just don't consider them metal. Nor do I have anything against anyone who wants to call them metal. But for the purposes, of my question it was important that I specify what I mean. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression about that.

2) On the other hand, if calling Korn and Slipknot "pop-metal" makes me douche, then I guess that's what I am.

Thanks to those who gave suggestions. Keep em coming. I'd like to put together a list of five or so songs together and then make it my goal to learn those over the next several months using the "21 day challenge" method that I saw posted on here.

So far I am thinking one from Sabbath, one from Motorhead, one from Slayer, maybe something by Venom, and one or two others. Particular song suggestions are much appreciated.

EDIT: Also, I may be decieving myself, but Venom's "Witching Hour" seems to meet all of the criteria I suggested as well as being a whole hell of a lot easier than Crazy Train. Yeah, it's fast. But it is all very straight forward. --- Also, for the guy who couldn't think of a three-peice thrash band... There aren't many, but Sodom is one of the best.
Last edited by afehir at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by afehir
What would be some good first songs to learn that a) contain easy solos and b) are written for a single guitar and c) are good metal songs?

These are pretty much the only bands off the top of my head I can think of that match those (singer doesn't play guitar):

Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne
Motörhead
Pantera
Dio

Holy Diver is actually a good idea, although the solo might be a tad advanced. Other than that you could try some Amorphis songs like Born From Fire or Day of Your Beliefs, if you're bothered to tune to D standard (one step down).
Last edited by Blizk at Mar 5, 2009,
yeah you are really limiting your playing by not being open to everything. k nu metal is crap, but black metal? really? dude ur posting in a newbie forum..

I learned to play guitar by basically learning Burzum's "My Journey to the Stars"

Learn it. Burzum is a one man band, and the tab on UG has both lead and rhythm parts. good for building moderate speed and control so you can move on to death metal later on.

easy death metal would be actually some early Death songs. The later albums were more technical compared to the earlier ones. RIP Chuck Shuldiner..
Quote by afehir
Ok, first. I realize that this question has been asked a million times. But none of the answers I could find answer my specific question. What would be some good first songs to learn that a) contain easy solos and b) are written for a single guitar and c) are good metal songs?

So I am not looking for songs that are easy minus the solo, nor songs that lack solos. Nor am I looking for easy riffs -- I want complete songs. I hate when I see people suggest something like Crazy Train as a good first song, becaus Crazy Train is actually a very difficult song to play correctly, i.e. all the way through, up to speed, the way Randy Rhodes plays it, etc.

Next, I'd prefer songs by three-peice bands, where a single guitarists plays both lead and rhythm parts, which I realize rules out a lot of good metal. (Possible exceptions can be made here if the guitars are basically just doubling up.)

Finally, when I say good metal. That means I am not looking for hard rock, e.g. Deep Purple, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc., but metal (speed, power, thrash, death, etc.). Nor do I want pop-metal stuff Korn or Slipknot or something. On the other hand, I'm not looking obscure black metal stuff either.

Any suggestions? (If my particular question has been asked before, please provide a link.)

Thanks.

Not cool man
Why has no-one suggested Iron Man? It's Black Sabbath, it's metal, it's a pretty common beginner/first song...
Last edited by firesprite at Mar 6, 2009,
What about "Balls to the Wall" by Accept? How would you judge the difficulty of that song (including the solo)?
I dont know your skill level so I cant accurately judge. Sacrofago, Slaughter (The canadian thrash band), Piledriver have some easy songs. A lesson in violence by Exodus is pretty simple.
The rhythm to Fade to Black is pretty easy once you get it down. To me, any metal song with sixteenth notes was hard to play.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Well "One" by metallica is my beginner song (just scratch the solo lol) Ya I know you didn't wnat to hear that. But if you really cared then go do it yourself....if you are a metal head then you should know what an easy or hard song is.
Its actually rediculous how easy Godsmack's Bad Religion is. I learned the entire song 5 minutes after I listened to it for the first time. lmao
Try one by metallica. Easily be played on one guitar. The solo suprisingly isnt that hard just some two hand tapping and such.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Slayer - Black Magic. A beginner can learn the whole thing.
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
mudvayne dig
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinsk8r91
practice young padawan and your fingers strong they will one day be, HMMMmmm.

this
PARANOID.
Its a pretty simple song...
Solo isnt too hard, either...
And like that other guy suggested...
Iron Man.
The rhythm part to Metallica - Seek and Destroy is pretty easy, although the riffs under the solos are fast. I've been playing around 2 months and I managed to learn it (needs tidying up and some riffs aren't up to speed) in a couple of days.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by afehir

Thanks.

to correct you korn and slipknot are nu metal.. besides the new slipknot which is more trash...
PANTERA
Quote by KGB_INC
none. i've never had sex.
probably never will.

My Gear:
B.C Rich Warlock
32 year old antique yamaha accustic
Peavey Ovation
Peavey Millenium Bxp 5 string Bass
2000 Watt Peavey PA system
Line 6 Floor Pod
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
The first one that comes to my mind is Black Sabbath. They are a four piece band, but Tony is their only guitarist and a good amount of their songs are pretty easy to play, even the solos. So I recommend Iron Man, Paranoid, Electric Funeral, and Black Sabbath.
First metal song I learned is Down With The Sickness, by Disturbed. Very easy
Quote by valdean
Slayer - Raining Blood.
The "solo" is just whammy wankage, so you'd be better off playing rythm.
Or check out Black Sabbath.

Hey thanks for this recommendation I just learnt this after you recommended it (well the intro anyway so far) and it is quite easy. Thanks!
You shouldn't request only metal you know, you're limiting yourself, and it can have bad repurcussions when you come to make your own stuff.

Try some eric clapton, chuck berry, jimmy hendrix (start off with purple haze), and for chords try The pledge by Dir en grey. Those are only off the top of my head
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Try learning Judas Priest
Living after midnight ( really easy
breaking the law
the ripper
Page 1 of 2