Page 1 of 2
What's northern scotland like? Lots of crime? Is it just stabbing or is there a lot of other things going on?

I'm asking since I'm going over there most likely for university and would like to know before I apply.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

someone's got a paranoid mother/parent.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Sol9989
someone's got a paranoid mother/parent.

I'd rather not get shanked smartypants.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

northern scotland all you will find is sheep

central scotland is where the crime rate is higher - Glasgow specifically
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
... it'll be like most places...

You'll be in a city so expect a 'normal' rate, is it aberdeen?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Can't be much of a crime rate. Only 4 people live there.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by mosherhamish

what he said. better watch out for auchterarder (I know where you live/go to school )
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by mosherhamish

Yeah theres not much goes on up north, where abouts you thinking of going?
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Quote by Jackal58
Can't be much of a crime rate. Only 4 people live there.

But if two people get in a fight, then you have a crime rate of 50%.
well after living in scotland 16 years i have been stabbed 50 times

and iv been lucky to have not been in any fights

scotland isnt that bad for crimes and all that, unless its glasgow

englands worse ha ha
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
I went to Glasgow when I was 17.

Not as bad as everyone makes out.

A lot of pubs there though.... I haven't drunk Jack Daniels since!

Ben.
Fudoshin.

XxX-Ben-xXx
Quote by Systemphreek
But if two people get in a fight, then you have a crime rate of 50%.

Fighting over sheep is no crime.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by vegetable-jim
Yeah theres not much goes on up north, where abouts you thinking of going?

My friend wanted to apply to cambridge and I wanted an easier school to get into so somewhere around there hopefully. Is it good/safe?
Quote by buddha

naa west of scotland is where it's all at. mon to glasgow. we're the murder capital of europe. there's a proud stat to hold.
Gear :

Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Fender Strat HH MIM
Musicman Sub1
Eko Ranger
Yamaha APX 700
Ibanez EW
Marshall AVT Tribute 100w head
Framus 2x12 cab
Roland Cube 30
Assuming you're talking about Aberdeen, crime is no worse than in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Nothing to freak out about
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
You god damn euros have some crazy crime! I never even thought about crime rate when I applied for schools in the U.S.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
I used to live in Aberdeen, it's a great place, but it's got it's dodgy bits like any other city. Inverness is the same, but a bit quieter. The small towns are pretty safe, but you'd have to get used to the locals 'lifestyle'.
Northern Scotland? I don't think that's a problem - Just full of hills and whatnot...

It's Glasgow where there are over 9000 stabbings a week.

Edit:
Quote by SmashThings
Assuming you're talking about Aberdeen, crime is no worse than in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Nothing to freak out about

Shouldn't that be 'no better than Glasgow or Edinburgh'?
Quote by shakin'cakes
My friend wanted to apply to cambridge and I wanted an easier school to get into so somewhere around there hopefully. Is it good/safe?

Somewhere around Camebridge, you say? Then why are you asking about Scottish crime rates?

Eh, this sort of stuff is never as bad as it seems anyway; don't get pulled into the media frenzy over the violence in Glasgow.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
yeah, time for my serious answer... crime in Scotland is like zero, except Glasgow, but even then, if you don't piss someone off or go to the wrong areas, you're not going to get any hassle/stabbed. I seem to spend half my weekends in Glasgow, just going round the music shops or whatever, and I've never had any problems. We saw a hobo fight once, but that's about it.

Quote by jgbsmith
yeah, time for my serious answer... crime in Scotland is like zero, except Glasgow, but even then, if you don't piss someone off or go to the wrong areas, you're not going to get any hassle/stabbed. I seem to spend half my weekends in Glasgow, just going round the music shops or whatever, and I've never had any problems. We saw a hobo fight once, but that's about it.

In that case it's significantly more violent in the Borders.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
In that case it's significantly more violent in the Borders.

I didn't say there wasn't any violence, just that if you keep your head down, you won't attract any hassle, especially not as a student.

it just depends where you go..

If you walk about the west end at night... you're not going to get in a fight.
Quote by jgbsmith
I didn't say there wasn't any violence, just that if you keep your head down, you won't attract any hassle, especially not as a student.

That's true I guess. I'd still be wary of being on foot in certain areas at certain times. A friend of mine was walking through Gorbals after a gig when a guy stopped him and asked what the hell he was doing in such an area at that time of night.
Call me Batman.
Quote by meh!
it just depends where you go..

If you walk about the west end at night... you're not going to get in a fight.

I've never been in a fight anywhere in Glasgow, and i hardly fit into the 'physically intimidating' catagory.

But as has already been said, there's no crime up in Aberdeen to worry about.
Unless you wear wool and go anywhere on all fours...
Serious time now... I was born and raised in Paisley, and I lived in the east end of Glasgow for a while. Never been stabbed or shot, mostly because I don't piss people off, and I keep my nose clean, so to say.
In my years as a truck driver, I've parked up in many places; the only place in Scotland that I try to avoid is Dundee.
The borders, in my experience, are much the same as the Highlands (and even Dumfries + Galloway) - once you get used to excessive drinking and the odd scrap, they're not so bad. Mind you, Galashiels is getting a bit of a name for the pervs...
Don't believe the media hype about Glasgow; sure it's a bit rough around the edges, but it's a great place. Most people get out alive...
Glasgow is #1 in the UK for knife crime....but that's because everyone else has moved on to gun crime.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Other than sheepshagging it's not too bad

Slightly further south, Edinburgh, especially the centre where all the uni things are, is probably the safest city I've been to. Glasgow is a bit rougher, but if you stay in the centre and don't go wandering off by yourself (ie, don't be an idiot) you'll be fine. I've been out a fair few times there and never had any trouble.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
No-Offence OP, but if your going to let a crime rate stop you with your preferred college you need to depussify a bit.
You're going to "northern Scotland" for university? Like ... where?

As for crime, there ain't much that's going to happen to you up there.

Come to Glasgow. Aberdeen's a bit dull - I grew up there. Dundee sucks. Edinburgh's very nice. But Glasgow is just plain awesome. And don't worry about the stabbings - that's only in the shite areas.
Quote by Tarzan_man
No-Offence OP, but if your going to let a crime rate stop you with your preferred college you need to depussify a bit.

This.

You need to tell us where in Scotland you'll be residing TS.

Aberdeen FTW! (screw dundee).
Quote by Malakian88
You're going to "northern Scotland" for university? Like ... where?

UHI, University of the Highlands and Islands. Or, a bunch of colleges which got their heads together and came up with a fancy name.
Quote by creepingjesus73
UHI, University of the Highlands and Islands. Or, a bunch of colleges which got their heads together and came up with a fancy name.

Cool, my dad lectures for them in Perth.
^ Perth? Surely that's stretching the geographical definition implicit in their title by a fair few miles? Perth's alright tho'.
(I failed my first HGV test there because some mother****er couldn't wait for me to pass, and squeezed down a line of parked cars past my truck. How I was responsible for them ramming a BT van is beyond me, but god it was funny...)
if you live in glasgow you know where to avoid so it doesnt seem that bad to us, but then again ive been attacked before in a place I thought was safe.
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by creepingjesus73
^ Perth? Surely that's stretching the geographical definition implicit in their title by a fair few miles? Perth's alright tho'.
(I failed my first HGV test there because some mother****er couldn't wait for me to pass, and squeezed down a line of parked cars past my truck. How I was responsible for them ramming a BT van is beyond me, but god it was funny...)

hey that's their biggest location, i believe, perth college.
Page 1 of 2