It's £20 so I can't really go wrong but I'm just wondering if they are reputably pieces of dog ****? If they are I'l buy 80 cigarettes and have done with it .

Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Have you played it? Does it sound/play/feel okay?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Get the bass and save yourself the cancer. £20 for any bass is a good shout, and there'e the modding potential.

Exactly what I thought. As long as the body is alright then It's good to go.

Haven't played it, just seen it on gumtree (basically english craiglists) and havn't got my bass handy (200 odd miles away).

I'l go and play it tomorrow/day after.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
The bottom line about an old Columbus is this: if it's survived this long, it's a good 'un.

There was a feature in Guitar + Bass magazine a couple of years ago about fettling a tatty Columbus J-bass. You could see if they have it archived.
Cheers for the heads up on the article, will look into that.

Even if it's rubbish, 20 quid (28 USD) is sod all for a bass. Its exactly the looks I want.

If it sounds crap I can replace pups.

If it doesn't hold tune I can replace tuners.

If it doesn't play well I can set it up.

I can't see that there's anything to worry about really!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
That's what I'm sure it is (lol), but that's a long story. Sadly, it appears to have come to the end of the road, as there's not much I can do with the shaky neck-joint that won't cost me a fortune.
If the J in the pic is as clean as it looks, it's worth a bit more than £20 to a serious Ibanez/Hoshino collector. The only bits that are hard to find are the original machineheads, the ones with the lozenge shaped keys. I'm not sure if this one has them, the pic isn't clear enough.
Are you saying your sure it's a rubbish bass?

I know it's cheap but there's no point in buying a hunk of junk..

I'm not interested in resale value, just want it to play alright.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
GAH! It's been sold already. Within a few hours of it being posted.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I know this isn't very relevant, seeing as the bass has been sold; but I couldn't leave it as it was.
In my years, I've played just 3 Columbus basses. One was a re-badged early Ibanez SoundGear, so isn't relevant. The other 2 are my Rick copy, and a J like this one from the 'classic' 70's period. On the basis of these two, and what I've read elsewhere, they were accurate replicas which played very well, and sounded like the real thing.
They were built to a budget spec, however, so most of them have been trashed, abused or just fallen to bits. So like I said before - if you can find one in good shape, it's worth a punt.
Ditto for Shaftesbury, Antoria, Hondo and a few other Japanese 70's replicas.
are you saying you bought it? cause im confused here?^
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing