Ok, first of all, I'm a lefty so my selection of guitars is limited in both what companies make, and what I can go actually go somewhere and play in a store. Second, I'm in Ontario, Canada, so the selection is even smaller up here. Most stores are trying to dump their existing stock and anything I could even want to order is going to be a "custom" order thats going to take who knows how long and somehow lefty guitars are always subject to a increased "lefty tax". So I found a place that is close to me location wise (first link below), has all the following in stock to let me go in and possibly try them, they offer free and fast shipping if I do have to order one, and they accept paypal which is good for me because I have about 300 in my paypal account right now to go towards a new guitar. Anything from the states, add 20% for exchange, 10% or so for customs, plus around $100 extra for shipping, so please no links to some crazy deal somewhere I can't order from or is going to cost me double by the time I get it here. There's a zillion guitars I'd like, but I'm limited, so please try and comment on the following guitars.

CLICK HERE

AND CLICK HERE

The links above lists the ones available to my minority. lol. The second link from Axe music, I can't go there locally to try anything so those ones are a bit more iffy If I can't play it. I'm looking at anything up to about $400. As for styles played, I like some rock, bit of metal, blues, grunge, alternative. So I'd like some versatile I could get a decent clean to not so clean sound from. I have an digitech rp-1 that I run through into my tascam USB mixer board out to either headphones or an old washburn practice amp. Eventually I'll upgrade the amp, but for now, headphones work good. So out of those guitars listed above, what would be a good versatile one that I could from a nice clean acoustic-y sound to flipping the pedal board up and cranking out some rock or something heavier.

I know thats a lot to ask for a cheap guitar, and even though I've only been here a short while, I see how these thread tend to go. "Buy this guitar instead, its the best I've ever owned." Well thats great if I could buy that guitar locally, or it came in a lefty model or I had $5000. I can't even find a DIY kit in lefty models. lol.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
do what I did, I'am left handed but learned to play right

someone who is really left handed will play better that way too. i would't do it (and i didn't either, i picked up a guitar left-handed the first time, and i learned it that way).
I tried that but didn't like it. LOL. When I took classical guitar many years ago, my instructor didn't want me to restring it. She was like, would you change the keys on a piano to go backwards. I said, would if I liked piano.
Last edited by GeToChKn at Mar 5, 2009,
I would suggest trying to find a Fender MIM Strat if you can; granted, the price increase in Fender recently might make $400 too little. But Fender doesn't add tax if you're buying a lefty guitar or anything - like, both right and left hand models cost the same.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I would suggest trying to find a Fender MIM Strat if you can; granted, the price increase in Fender recently might make $400 too little. But Fender doesn't add tax if you're buying a lefty guitar or anything - like, both right and left hand models cost the same.

not true, their lefty's are slightly more expensive. not Gibson style 500 dollars more expensive, but a little.
^ Ah, crap, really? I thought for a while they were the same price. Eh, I guess I am just basing it off of when I bought my Strat - it was the same price as a right handed Strat of the same model, so... yeah. Probably shouldn't assume these things, I guess.

And yeah, even then, not that big a deal if they're a bit extra - Gibson is insane. I always wanted an SG Standard (hence my username) and they were so costly. I would've easily spent $1200 or whatever it was for a righty then, but the lefty was at least $1500! WHY!
They got a Squier in town in left, but thats the closest to a lefty fender around me. lol.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
do what I did, I'm left handed but learned to play right

You could do that, but I've noticed that new lefty guitars seem to cost more than right-handed ones, but used lefties seem to be less. A used lefty MIM Strat in my area was $250.

I assume they have worse resale value? Try and find a used lefty, if you want to stick with a lefty guitar.

Something to think about: how about buying a right-handed guitar and re-stringing it?
That would definitely give you more options, though you might be branded a Hendrix wannabe.

Depending on the guitar though, you might have to make a new hole for one of the strap buttons.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Mar 5, 2009,
schecters have a huge load of lefty's

i don't know 'bout your price range
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by GeToChKn
She was like, "would you change the keys on a piano to go backwards?" I said, "I would if I liked piano."

That's a pretty drastic comparison... changing the strings on a guitar to rebuilding a whole piano
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I've had a righty strung as a lefty off and on as I've picked up and left playing guitar for the past 15 years. Never been able to use a trem bar. lol. Always wacking knobs, readjusting everything. It's a pain. lol.
Quote by GeToChKn
I've had a righty strung as a lefty off and on as I've picked up and left playing guitar for the past 15 years. Never been able to use a trem bar. lol. Always wacking knobs, readjusting everything. It's a pain. lol.

Yeah, I'm not even sure why Hendrix preferred it that way...

Depending on the guitar though, it might be okay