I'm not sure if it goes here, but. What if an artist released an album and every song was like a different genre.(hard rock, metal, acoustic, screamo, punk, classical) Would that be a bad thing? as long as every songs is awesome you're good, right? Or do people not like songs because it's not HARDCORE or TOO DIFFERENT and can't expand their views on music.
I like this idea, however I doubt it would ever happen, and if it did I doubt the songs would all be 'awesome'.
Amazing idea.
I've always thought that would be great, but no band or musician comes to mind that could actually pull it off well.
Quote by Rookie One
makes jizz shoot out of your don johnson
Quote by Gyzmoo
In chronological order of when the genres emerged would be cool

I agree. I just can't think of any one band that could pull it all off.
I like the idea, but I think that most musicians are better off in sticking to certain genres, and I don't think that all the songs would be good. If someone was to sell the album I don't think anyone would buy it for one particular song that they like.
Quote by rockerskater12
I'm not sure if it goes here, but. What if an artist released an album and every song was like a different genre.(hard rock, metal, acoustic, screamo, punk, classical) Would that be a bad thing? as long as every songs is awesome you're good, right? Or do people not like songs because it's not HARDCORE or TOO DIFFERENT and can't expand their views on music.

That bit's a problem.
Quote by MightyAl
That bit's a problem.

Yeah but some people wont think that though because its not what they listen too.
Quote by ortrigger

The Who tried to do it with The Who Sell Out. The concept was a radio station with adverts and everything.
That's the only way I'd ever be able to record a CD, as I can't stick to one genre, but no one would buy it. I wouldn't buy it if someone did it.
I alway said if I ever made an album I'd do that. Fat chance of that happening, but still

I'd hate to limit myself to one specific genre, I never instinctively write in on style. I'd love to make something with things like funk, acoustic, and prog metal all on the one CD.

I don't, however, think CD's like that would attract a large fanbase, unless they have a very diverse taste.
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
those are my exact thoughts. i want to write something like that but i dont think anyone one buy it. if someone did it i even think i'd give it a chance.
i've always wanted to do like a pop punk album to get all the girlies, then leak a fake album, and release a brutal Progressive DeathCore album
lulz would ensue
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
A band is always better off releasing different ALBUMS with different genres, rather than different SONGS on the album with different genres. An album is a collection of songs that HAS to have direction and meaning, that's what makes it an album, not a greatest hits compilation or **** like that.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
i've always wanted to do like a pop punk album to get all the girlies, then leak a fake album, and release a brutal Progressive DeathCore album
lulz would ensue

I'm assuming that people are going to be lulzing over the Deathcore album itself unrelated to previous pop punk CD?
When I listen to an album, I usually listen to it because I feel like listening to metal, or because I feel like listening to Ben Folds, not because I want to hear someone being OMGZ SOO DIVERZE, but if it was just background music, and it wasnt awful, I might buy it.
Quote by Saf1
A band is always better off releasing different ALBUMS with different genres, rather than different SONGS on the album with different genres. An album is a collection of songs that HAS to have direction and meaning, that's what makes it an album, not a greatest hits compilation or **** like that.

Does a photo album have to have pictures of the same people, or be in the same location?
-

Quote by Aléx
Does a photo album have to have pictures of the same people, or be in the same location?

You're right it doesn't have to have specific set features as long as it's unified by some type of theme.

The problem is most listeners can't use much other than genre as a unifying theme to work through an album. It's really hard to listen to an album, even if every song has common elements linking them together, that is all over the place in terms of overall sound. Most of us aren't equipped properly for turning a list of songs like that into a cohesive enjoyable element.

It's a really neat idea, and I might love every song on it, but I wouldn't want to sit down and listen to it as an album.
I personally think who the band is will change how it's accepted

for instance, if Fall Out Boy or Nickelback did it, even if it was amazing, everyone would hate it

and if a band everyone loves did it, even if it was terrible, everyone would love it

but I always thought it'd be cool
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
It's a cool idea, but it would be very difficult to make it fit together and 'flow' well as an album.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by special_kae_911
Amazing idea.
I've always thought that would be great, but no band or musician comes to mind that could actually pull it off well.

Actually i believe COIL pulled it off with the Gitaroo Man Soundtrack.
It had Blues, Jazz, Soft Rock, Hardcore, Techno, Flamenco, and even Reggie. Check them out on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8l5wt_XTBY&feature=PlayList&p=519C4B0ECCA0387A&index=43

I tabbed out a few of there songs but i need help on the others.
Check out Brad Paisley's recent album "Play".

It does something similar to that extent.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Buckethead could probably pull it off.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
something like an album with every song being a different genre would have three problems:

first, there would be few people who would like the entire album. wouldn't get many album sales, as people would buy each song off itunes

second, the artist would have to be VERY versatile to like all the songs enough to write them

third, it would be hard to make the songs fit together well. to me, all songs in an album should fit with the ones before and after it. it would be very hard to do that with so many genres
Hell has a 2-for-1 deal and i'm inviting you!

IT'S TIME TO TAKE THE TIME!

We're all waiting
For something

A whisper of silence
A reflection of darkness

Something lost to be found
Quote by ortrigger

BTBAM's The Anatomy Of springs to mind. doesn't cover all genres but they've sure proven they are incredible fucking musicians.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
slash is doing something like that, but not quite as diverse. He's using singers from all different genres, and having the music built to fit more towards their genre, though it will be all rock.

Also, most artists don't have the ability to play things as differently as, say, classic bluesy rock and hardcore metal, because they focus on one genre and get good at it. They're used to playing that thing and just aren't as good at others. Of course, there are exceptions
Quote by RPExecutor
BTBAM's The Anatomy Of springs to mind. doesn't cover all genres but they've sure proven they are incredible fucking musicians.

Theyre incredible musicians for making a cd of covers?

Most people arent versatile enough to write an album like that, much less make it sound decent.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Well me and my friend are making songs and riffs, and almost every song is kind of a different genre. One is hard rock blues, then the next is Spanish punk, then the next is kind of folk, then the next is psychedelic...the reason is because I'm more of a modern musician and my pal is more into older stuff, and it's looking good (we just need to find a way to record our music and get a drummer).
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011