Poll: Which guitar should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar should I buy?
Single Neck.
19 73%
Double Neck.
7 27%
Voters: 26.
I made a thread like this a few weeks ago or something, but I've been looking hard and I've narrowed it down to two guitars for sure, no matter what I will get atleast one of these, but which one? They are both equally bad-ass.

Keep in mind:

I had a 12 string acoustic which I sold to get the money for this (meaning I know how to play 12 string, but also meaning I have one no more).
I don't have a guitar with a tremolo.
I don't play gigs.
I have 2 6 strings, one of which is a ****ty Ibanez (I'm not dissing the brand), and I've got a Les Paul, which, imo, is perfect (despite being an Epiphone to all you "more money = better guitar" fags)

Guitar 1
Guitar 2

Thank you to all who help out.
1) Avoid cheap guitars with double locking tremolos. I know that Agiles are nice for what they cost, but there is a reason why a good double locking trem costs 100$ or more.

2) I've never even heard of the brand that the double neck is from. Keep in mind that double necks are usually twice the price of regular guitars (for obvious reasons I think). So what you have there are basically two 150$ guitars - I wouldn't expect much from that.

3) Don't call us fags if you want help.

1) and 2) lead me to the conclusion that both guitars are most likely bad choices and it'd not be very wise to buy them unless you had the chance to try them, which I know you unfortunately can't. So I'd say don't do it.
Keep in mind this will be a jam guitar, I'll only bust this out when I'm partying with people over or something, that's why I chose the cheap 6 string, and as for the double neck, when I bust that out and everyone is smashed, it'll be the most amazing thing.
I personally like single necked guitars
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
Quote by TheQuailman
3) Don't call us fags if you want help.

I didn't call any level headed, helpful person a fag, I called anyone who thinks money=quality a fag, I hate people like that.
Quote by Dog--
Keep in mind this will be a jam guitar, I'll only bust this out when I'm partying with people over or something, that's why I chose the cheap 6 string, and as for the double neck, when I bust that out and everyone is smashed, it'll be the most amazing thing.

If you want a simple guitar for jams I'd:

-avoid the Agile because of the trem. I'm familiar with Agile's reputation, but if you want a solid no frills guitar that's easy to tune and that can actually hold it's tuning for a while, don't go for something with a cheap trem. If you want an Agile, go for one of their hardtail models. Also, there are plenty of other brands which have nice affordable hardtails. Personally, when I jam with people I don't want to have to worry about the tuning stability of my guitar...

-avoid any cheap double necks; not just because they're usually pretty terrible, but also because your going to start hating it with a passion when you have to take it anywhere. Keep in mind a double neck weighs, well, about twice as much as a normal guitar and you'll have to transport it in a bulky hardcase.

Quote by Dog--
I called anyone who thinks money=quality a fag, I hate people like that.

Unfortunately, to a certain degree, money really does translate into quality. Sure, you can find some nice guitars for around $300, but nothing too awesome. As with almost anything, if you want a great guitar, be prepared to pay up.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 5, 2009,
As for the transporting thing - I'm moving out in a few months with a few friends into an apartment, so that's where the jamming would take place, so I'm not worried at all about transporting the guitars.
Quote by Dog--
I didn't call any level headed, helpful person a fag, I called anyone who thinks money=quality a fag, I hate people like that.

Oh, okay. But while you are right, keep in mind that there is a minimum cost for decent quality stuff - and with Floyd Rose tremolos, I'd rather not risk getting a bad one because they are a nightmare when they crap out on you. It's not a problem if you block the trem, but why get one if you're going to block it? There's a couple of nice guitars on Rondo without Floyds, maybe consider one of them:

http://www.rondomusic.com/wf165.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/zekeblack.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/halowhite.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadred.html

Also, look at guitars that aren't from Rondo. With your kind of money, you could get a Yamaha Pacifica 112 or an Ibanez RG321.

EDIT: Essentially, what I'm trying to say is what Bonsai already said.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 5, 2009,
Well yea, you're going to need to shell out some cash, but just because you will pay for a brand new $1500 SG doesn't make it good. You could buy a used one for half the price and it'll sound the same, might need a little tlc, but hey.

As for that RG, I'm definitely diggin it, any other suggestions like that?
Last edited by Dog-- at Mar 5, 2009,
There's also an RG2EX1, which is somewhat similar and costs the same. If you'd like an LP, the Ibanez ART100 is nice.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artist-ART100-Electric-Guitar?sku=512354

All of them are great for modding by the way. If you get some nice replacement pups later on, you have a killer guitar.
http://www.rondomusic.com/wrl595tbr.html

I am looking at that or the RG321. That one already has EMGs in it, so I wouldn't have to replace the pickups if I bought it, but the RG321 has so many more features.. I'm not sure (you guys pretty much convinced me the drop the double neck idea lol)

btw here's the RG321 I'm looking at:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492
Those are EMG HZ pups, which aren't like the rest of the EMG line up. They aren't all too great. They're not horrible either, but most people end up replacing them if they come stock with a guitar.

Well, the problem with Rondo is that you can't try any of their stuff before buying. You need to know whether or not it's worth the risk, as you might end up not liking the guitar you get. That's something none of us can really help you with.
Quote by Dog--
http://www.rondomusic.com/wrl595tbr.html

I am looking at that or the RG321. That one already has EMGs in it, so I wouldn't have to replace the pickups if I bought it, but the RG321 has so many more features.. I'm not sure (you guys pretty much convinced me the drop the double neck idea lol)

Well, as for pickups, the ones in that Agile are EMG-HZ's, which are pretty mediocre.

The RG321 is a great deal and you could mod it step by step, although pickups aren't the most important thing.

Contrary to popular belief, sticking with the stock pickups for a while won't cause terminal illness, ridicule, tone-itis or loss of playing ability; unless you have a nice, responsive (preferably tube) amp, you won't notice much of a difference. Yes, you're tone will change, but it won't improve nearly as much as you'd want it to, especially considering what you'd have to pay for a new set.

On top of that, Ibanez stock pickups really aren't that bad.

After buying the Ibanez or whatever guitar takes your fancy, you could start putting some money towards a new amp should you feel the need to improve your tone. Just don't start swapping out pickups before you've upgraded your rig. Think of pickups as a way to 'fine tune' your sound, rather than completely changing it.

Of course, in the end it's completely up to you
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 5, 2009,
I found a RG2EX1 on ebay that ships to Canada (zZounds and musicians friend are only to states), and after shipping and all it costs $450.

I think this will be the one I get - is that a fair price?

I still have my acoustic 12 string, but someone will pay me $450 for it, so is 12 string fender acoustic/electric worth an Ibanez RG2EX1?
If your LP is fine, I'd go the RG321 route. While the ART100 is a good guitar, i have it's older brother, it's a very similar guitar to the LP obviously.
Quote by Dog--

I still have my acoustic 12 string, but someone will pay me $450 for it, so is 12 string fender acoustic/electric worth an Ibanez RG2EX1?
It may be to you. I personally wouldn't do it but different people different places different needs/wants etc.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by Dog--
I found a RG2EX1 on ebay that ships to Canada (zZounds and musicians friend are only to states), and after shipping and all it costs $450.

I think this will be the one I get - is that a fair price?

Well, it depends if it's new or secondhand. A new RG2EX1 will be about $300 (American, without tax), and you'd be paying about $350 American for it. Considering shipping and taxes that would be a fair price if it's in new condition, but keep in mind the RG321 can be found for a bit under $400 Canadian (on Axemusic, for instance) and it's not an inferior instrument.

$450 Canadian for a new RG2EX1 isn't too bad, though, it's just a shame you won't be able to try it out before buying. I'd recommend trying to find an RG321 in a store near you, but if you'd rather have the RG2EX1 or if you won't be able to find it in your area, you might as well go for Ebay.
I would go the single neck, the double neck is just a 'little' cheesy Alsi, in practice a dual neck is heavy and somewhat hard to play on.