Hey
I will soon be investing on a few effects pedals and getting the cash is quite tough for me (I'm still at school). So i thought about Ebay- Is this a good place to buy pedals from? On Ultimate Guitar people are always saying that they got good deals of ebay, so i have a few questions about it:

Are the sellers generally reliable?

How likely is it that you will actually win the auction- do people often "steal" the item off you in the last 2 minutes?

Is it safe- have you ever had problems with it or not recieved your item?

Please help me!

Please Reply!!!
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Quote by familybucket
Are the sellers generally reliable?

Yes. Most people on ebay are reliable. This is also why ebay uses feedback, so that people can comment on their transaction and so that others will know who is and who is not good to deal with. A lot of places to get pedals are ebay stores: legitimate businesses that use ebay as their storefront.

Quote by familybucket
How likely is it that you will actually win the auction- do people often "steal" the item off you in the last 2 minutes?

Consider that many auctions have a "Buy it Now" option, and that most people are trying to get as good a deal as you are. It's true that most bids are placed in the last few hours of the auction, however if you have bid a fair price for the item, it's not terribly likely that you won't win.

Quote by familybucket
Is it safe- have you ever had problems with it or not recieved your item?

For the most part it's very safe. There are horror stories about ebay deals gone bad, and if you do enough business on ebay odds are you'll eventually have a bad transaction or two. However, these bad experiences are few and far between. Ebay has policies enacted in order to protect people from this kind of thing.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You can use an Ebay sniper. There's lots about for free download and they hold your bid and action it about 7 seconds before the auction ends. Sometimes it helps, but not always. Its really only good if there's some idiot who will re-bid above you instead of putting in a fair bid to start with. One fact. You don't pay the sum you bid. You pay one unit (set by the seller and shown near the bottom of the page) more than the next highest bid IF YOUR BID IS AT LEAST ONE UNIT HIGHER THAN A PREVIOUS BID. Otherwise your bid is deemed too low.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Out of all the times I've used ebay...literally hundreds of times...I've only been screwed over once. I bought the item, paid via paypal, and the guy says he can't ship it yet because he doesn't have money/access to my paypal funds. Long story short, the shipping time was ridiculous, but thanks to paypal, I got my item. Moral of the story...use paypal. Most purchases are covered in case somebody tries to screw you over.
I've had lots of good luck with eBay. You will get outbid at the last minute. My advice is to watch the clock till the end time, get your max bid ready, then hit the confirm bid button in the last 10 seconds.
Quote by eyebanez333
Out of all the times I've used ebay...literally hundreds of times...I've only been screwed over once. I bought the item, paid via paypal, and the guy says he can't ship it yet because he doesn't have money/access to my paypal funds. Long story short, the shipping time was ridiculous, but thanks to paypal, I got my item. Moral of the story...use paypal. Most purchases are covered in case somebody tries to screw you over.

This is actually common with new sellers and people who don't sell very much. If the seller doesn't meet certain criteria (seller rating, total feedback, sell a certain number of items per year, etc), then Paypal will hold funds for 21 days, 3 days after "confirmed" delivery, or until positive feedback is left. It's a common mistake for people to sell something they can't afford to ship without access to the money the item was paid for with.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Ebay is a GOLDMINE

However, a couple of notes.
1) Only buy from sellers with a good reuptation
2) Only buy from sellers in the same country (IMHO, you want to avoid buying items from China or Uzbekistan)
3) Read the details of the auction carefully and read them 3 times to make sure there are no weird returns policy or description.

I've found some great stuff on Ebay, I check it daily
+1 to all the advice. Big plus one to paypal, they will save your arse if something goes south. Auctionstealer.com is a great little sniper. It's hard to get outbid in the last seconds if you're the one doing it. That being said, if you don't use one don't get in a bidding war. Place the highest you're willing to pay and let it be.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Shouldn't you try before you buy?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
Shouldn't you try before you buy?

Exactly, try at GC, buy off ebay. WINNNNNNN
But every guitar of the same model is still different.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Agreed, but the ts seemed to be interested in pedals. The best thing to do with guitars is make sure there is a return policy in place. Usually you'll get hit with the return shipping, but if it's a good deal then it's worth the risk.
Does anybody other than companies on eBay sell with return?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
You can lots of deals on pedals on ebay. Some times you will get the pedal for $15-25 when it is worth $50 or more.
ebay is mostly safe..generally just check with the seller first..
why do you want to buy pedals, however, when you have a hybrid practice amp? i'd say upgrade the amp first.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
I have had nothing but good experiences on ebay. You can get some hard to find items for a fair price, just follow the advice from posts above mine. I would never buy a guitar on ebay, there are simpy too many variables even in higher end models/brands. I would only buy a guitar I could play first.

In the states, craigslist is way better than ebay. Less competition for buyers, and you are more likely to get someone who wants a quick sale. The best part is you can play/check out the item before you buy it. The bad part is you need to be near a major city to get a good selection of items, and if you are looking for something that is kind of rare, it may take a while to find someone selling it in your area. But you can get some deals that are way better than ebay if you check it a lot and act fast when you see a bargain. Not sure how popular it is in other countries yet.
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 5, 2009,