If anyone has bought this game I need a little help.

Within one and a half hours of trying to install it I've come to one conclusion: Steam, whatever the fuck that is, is SHIT.

I can't seem to contact them other than via email, and, lets face it they won't reply and if they do it'll take weeks, and I registered for their forum but now I'm in a "queue" which means i won't be able to post for weeks either

But anyway here's my problem, I've tried to install it and it's downloading an update at the minute which it says is 15GB. Does this appalling system actually make you download the game from the internet? Because it just says that you need the steam and the internet to "activate" the game but its been taking ages downloading some fucking huge "update". And I live in the sticks with a <200kpbs internet connection with download speeds of no more than 20kbps, so 15GB is out of the question.

Any help?
I tried Shogun Total War recently. I tried it on Easy and got totally butchered.
That's when I went back to Pokémon silver.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
i think its trying to download the actual game for you. do you have the install cds? if so i think you installed it wrong, and steam is not picking up the installed files.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by MaxLees666
Helpful lol

Sorry. Well all I can say is. Yes, steam is crap.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
No idea i'm afraid, but if you don't buy it on steam you shouldn't have to download the entire game, just verify it or something. I haven't heard of anyone else with your problems....
I'm buying it tomorrow though! (although it will not be as good as rome tw)
¯|(°_o)/¯
Dunno about any of this steam business but Empire looks sexy. loved Medevil total war, this looks groovy.
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Quote by maiden_mexico
i think its trying to download the actual game for you. do you have the install cds? if so i think you installed it wrong, and steam is not picking up the installed files.

I just ran the auto install from the disk, and yes it came with 2 DVDs so I have no idea what its doing. But it prepared the install files and then said something to do with the size being 15GB, which I knew, but then there was an estimated download time of 16 hours with a download speed of 256kbps but why the hell would it need to download the game off the internet
Sounds like Half-life 2 mate, a steam account is required to play which means you have to log on your steam account (internet only) to play.

And yeah steam always keeps your games up to date, so I would say just leave your PC on all night to update it.
Last edited by zimmzimmer at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by UncleCthulhu
What? You're calling Steam shit because of your shit net connection?

No you imbecile I'm calling steam **** because I bought a game that is on 2 dual layer DVDs that can easily hold 15GB and the piece of shit is making me download the entire game of the internet. What the fck did I pay for
Quote by zimmzimmer
Sounds like Half-life 2 mate, a steam account is required to play which means you have to log on your steam account (internet only) to play.

And yeah steam always keeps your games up to date, so I would say just leave your PC on all night to update it.

But why would there be an update the size of the game, and why would there be an update a day after the games released?
Quote by zimmzimmer

This. The game is one thing but it still needs to update. It will be big yes, steam isn't ****, in fact it's good since you actually get the game updated, it won't take this long in future though
Quote by MaxLees666
But why would there be an update the size of the game, and why would there be an update a day after the games released?

It may be downloading a relatively small file and checking the files you have.

And to answer your other question, testing, for example WoW Wrath of the Lich King was out of date when people bought it.
Quote by MaxLees666
No you imbecile I'm calling steam **** because I bought a game that is on 2 dual layer DVDs that can easily hold 15GB and the piece of shit is making me download the entire game of the internet. What the fck did I pay for

RTFM

Quote by MaxLees666
and why would there be an update a day after the games released?

Because the game has an unforseen bug and they have to fix it.
But why the hell would it do a 15GB update. It hasnt even tried installing anything off the disk other than the steam thing itself
un install, then re install the game, both through your computer and through steam. Then, install the game fully from the DVD's , THEN activate it through steam. that should clear it up.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
hey at least you dont have my problem, my computer freezes when i try to login to steam (it didnt used too, still does it after a reformat too!)

so all the steam games i bought are now useless!
Are you sure you installed it via disk and didn't just enter your code to verify your purchase with Steam?
Quote by Saf1
Get a mac

He's trying to play a game. I believe you just earned yourself a DOES NOT COMPUTE!
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Last edited by Encyclopedia at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by maiden_mexico
un install, then re install the game, both through your computer and through steam. Then, install the game fully from the DVD's , THEN activate it through steam. that should clear it up.

Its not that simple, you have to install the game THROUGH the steam thing, theres no other way. I checked the disk myself and the only setup.exe or installer or anything is the steam one. I uninstalled what little of the game it had done but left Steam on my pc and now I think its getting somewhere, although it could be preparing to do exactly what it was doing before.
Quote by MaxLees666
Its not that simple, you have to install the game THROUGH the steam thing, theres no other way. I checked the disk myself and the only setup.exe or installer or anything is the steam one. I uninstalled what little of the game it had done but left Steam on my pc and now I think its getting somewhere, although it could be preparing to do exactly what it was doing before.

thats not possible. they would not give you 2 dvd's worth of a game with nothing to install. either you have fail disks, you are installing it wrong, or your computer is ****ed up
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
thats not possible. they would not give you 2 dvd's worth of a game with nothing to install. either you have fail disks, you are installing it wrong, or your computer is ****ed up

I'm doing nothing other than clicking "Install Empire Total War" and my computer is amazing.

Anyway now, on the My Games tab on the Steam program it has Empire Total War in the "Installed" section, yet I haven't even had to use the second disk yet, and it has somthing next to it saying download starting
try searching inside the disk for other exe files.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by Saf1
PS3

RTS games on consoles are awful.

Oh and a quick google will tell you that you have to use Steam so just let it do what its gotta do.
Quote by 666_Pounder
RTS games on consoles are awful.

Oh and a quick google will tell you that you have to use Steam so just let it do what its gotta do.

I know you have to use steam but I'm pretty sure you don't need to get the entire game off the internet. It doesnt even try to install from the disks it goes straight to the steam program and starts downloading the whole game
Quote by MaxLees666

This is odd.
I recommend trying to install with your internet connection turned off.

You know, what would be really helpful if you provided a demonstration to show EVERY step you have taken. Would help tons!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
this is why i just download all my games... (not advocating this)
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Right well I'm gonna have another go at it later because Ive been trying for 2 hours and its just aggravating the shit out of me. If I have to do some fucking great big download just to install a game I'm going to be very annoyed. My house is literally THE LAST house on the phone line and the fastest I can download things here is around 15kbps. I'm downloading GTA IV The Lost and Damned and it was downloading for about 8-9 hours overnight and got up to 24%, and thats around a tenth the size of what that stupid programs trying to get me to download