Page 1 of 2
I've been trying to hunt down a good guitar for metal. My normal port of call would be ESP but they've become too much of an expensive pain for me to get hold of now.

My main problem is the sort of spec I want doesn't seem to exist as far as I'm aware. I'm hoping the many metalheads of U-G will be able to point me in the direction of something that may fill my requirements:

- Carved top Strat/super-Strat style body, preferably alder though I could live with ash, mahogany or good grade basswood if need be.
- Floyd Rose bridge.
- 25.5" scale
- At least two humbuckers (bridge and neck), not fussed about middle pickup. Stock pickups must be passive pickups (I'm not fussed if they're even good passives since I will probably change them anyway - I just don't want to deal with the extra hassle of replacing active pickups)
- Here's the hardest bit to find: a neck which isn't a 'thin U'. I.e. no Wizard or Wizard II necks, even ESP necks are a little too much on the slim side for my taste.
- In fact to be blunt, no Ibanez guitars. I've had too much bad experience with them in the past.

Needs to be easy to get hold of in the UK, and my budget stretches up to around £1000 though if I had my way I wouldn't really want to spend much more than £750 if possible.

So... anyone got any ideas?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I don't know man maybe a Jackson Dinky/Soloist?
Quote by SquierLolz
Guitar cables!
Now with 50% less cancer!
Ibanez RG maybe? You can swap out the Edge for an OFR on most models with little or no mods. Some of the lower models are priced right, and most have passive pups. Best metal guitars imo...the necks seal the deal for me.

EDIT: nevermind...just seen the Wizard neck part of your post...
Definitely a Schecter C-1 FR (I believe the only passive FR model is the Blackjack FR). Quite a beefy neck for a guitar of its style. Exactly what you want save for the mahogany body.
You won't like this but you should also consider an Ibanez JS1200. Very Fendery neck. Try one. If you don't like it, that's cool.
Quote by littlemurph7976
Schecter?

+1, look at the C1 Blackjack's

the only problem is that i dont know how much the new 2009 models cost so u will need to have a look around for prices
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter 30th Anniversary PT
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Sounds like a PRS. no idea how hard they are to get in the UK tho, and they technically have 25in scale
Quote by OneRust
Sounds like a PRS. no idea how hard they are to get in the UK tho, and they technically have 25in scale

PRS with a Floyd and Strat shape?
You ill or something?
you cant get anything you posted without it being a custom guitar honestly, youll have to make some sacrifice in one of the areas, the only guitars i can think of are the Joe Satriani models that dont have the shred neck but have good passives and a good trem but you dont want an Ibanez so I got nothing other than that
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
A Framus Morrigan Pro, if you can find one. They were discontinued in January. The neck might be too think for you.

If you could live with a Wilkinson trem instead of a Floyd, find a used Framus Diablo Custom. There's always plenty of them on ebay, at least on German ebay (and they usually ship to England). I'll give you a couple of links if you are interested. The necks are nicely thick. Not as fat as LP necks, but not like an Ibanez Wizard either. A used Diablo should be available for 700.

Stay away from Schecters, none of them are worth 700 pounds. 400, yeah, but not 700. I'd cry if I saw someone take a production line Schecter over a Framus.
Try one of these I'd say(Apologies about it being a US site and all the prices being in USD, but I don't know of any UK guitar dealers besides Marshall's Music, and I'm not even sure that stayed open once Jim started a chain of amps.);

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Assassin-PX3T-Electric-Guitar?sku=512671 - If you have the cash for things like binding. If not, try the below, basically the same thing but without the binding and such;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Outlaw-PX3T-Electric-Guitar?sku=512668 - The above minus a lot of cosmetic things.

I know some people hate BC Rich, but if you find a good one and don't get one of the ones that counts as a lethal weapon, ten they're actually pretty good.

Or you could get this;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588 - It's bolt-on, so you could, if you don't like the neck, just order one from Warmoth and have that instead.

Note I don't know about neck thickness since I haven't played any(I don't play metal guitars much in shops), just going on what's 25.5 and seems to fit everything else.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 5, 2009,
Charvel or Kramer maybe hell idk thats a tough one you're right
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
lol @ all the ppl who rec jackson
i would say schecter.... definitely schecter blackjack
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Consider the upper Cort models. They are enough within your budget that Richard at www.guitars.co.uk would easily swap the pickups for SD's or whatever. I love my EVL-K6 as it has most of your requirements plus an ebony fretboard. Neck may be a bit slinky for you but I've not played a Wizard neck so I can't compare. Its about the same as my Yamaha, though.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Yeah, Jackson DK2m or SL3 (SL3 has SC sized HB's).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I wish the Schecter website wasn't so ****. All these people suggesting them and I can't even look up the specs of a single model. Damn silly buggers with their Web2.0 fancy Flash websites that don't work in FireFox...

Quote by telemetal
Maybe a Jackson SL3? http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/sl-3/1258
its not H-H, but its got everything else your after

Looks pretty nice. I could live with HSS, at least that seems to have a better neck. I'll be keeping that one in mind.

Quote by TheQuailman
A Framus Morrigan Pro, if you can find one. They were discontinued in January. The neck might be too think for you.
Yeah, if the specs on their website are correct (I would assume they are) then their necks are a little bit thin for me. At least they're not Wizard-thin though, so I'll keep them in mind. Thanks for the tip-off, I hadn't even heard of Framus before.

D'oh, all the rest that have been suggested have too thin necks.
More people need to learn bigger is better

Quote by Metalfan41
you cant get anything you posted without it being a custom guitar honestly, youll have to make some sacrifice in one of the areas, the only guitars i can think of are the Joe Satriani models that dont have the shred neck but have good passives and a good trem but you dont want an Ibanez so I got nothing other than that
I figure as much. I've got a few new things to research and look out for thanks to this thread, but I am growing increasingly tempted to just say **** it and build another Warmoth with a thick neck.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I wish the Schecter website wasn't so ****. All these people suggesting them and I can't even look up the specs of a single model. Damn silly buggers with their Web2.0 fancy Flash websites that don't work in FireFox...

Wait, what? It works fine for me in Firefox. o_O
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, what? It works fine for me in Firefox. o_O
All I get is a blank black window. I'll try it in IE but I don't hold out much hope.

EDIT: Yup, won't come up in IE either.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble

D'oh, all the rest that have been suggested have too thin necks.
More people need to learn bigger is better

That's the beauty of Carvin. They are custom shop guitars. Tell'em what you want and they will build it at a price you can live with.
Schecter Blackjack C1 FR's Specs:
Construction: Set-neck w/ultra Access
Body: Mahogany
Scale: 25.5"
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Inlays: Blackjack cards "21" at 12th fret
Binding: Grey Pearl
Pickups: Seymour Duncan JB/'59
Electronics: Vol/Tone(coil tap)/ 3-way switch
Bridge: OFR
Tuners: Grover
Hardwear: Black Chrome
Colours: Gloss Black

thats took ages to write out, hope you appreciate it
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Quote by Rob Rock
Construction: Set-neck w/ultra Access
Body: Mahogany
Scale: 25.5"
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Inlays: Blackjack cards "21" at 12th fret
Binding: Grey Pearl
Pickups: Seymour Duncan JB/'59
Electronics: Vol/Tone(coil tap)/ 3-way switch
Bridge: OFR
Tuners: Grover
Hardwear: Black Chrome
Colours: Gloss Black

thats took ages to write out, hope you appreciate it

you have the right idea
these guitars are almost your specs and have fatty necks
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by TheQuailman
^Is that one of the custom shop Schecters?

EDIT: Say, Flibble, are you still using Firefox 2.0 by any chance?
Nope, 3.0.7.

Quote by Rob Rock
Hurrah, that's more like it, at least I know it's not agathis or some ****e now Much appreciated.

Quote by Sin City Sid
That's the beauty of Carvin. They are custom shop guitars. Tell'em what you want and they will build it at a price you can live with.

I... did not know that. I'll be looking again then.
Quote by Holy-Diver
you have the right idea
these guitars are almost your specs and have fatty necks

fat neck = Schecter
Schecter = very good quality guitars for the price

TS if you want specs for other schecters just ask and ill post them for you
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Quote by MrFlibble
Nope, 3.0.7.

Hurrah, that's more like it, at least I know it's not agathis or some ****e now Much appreciated.

I... did not know that. I'll be looking again then.

Yeah, definitely Carvin. When in doubt, and on a bit of a budget, Carvin is the deal. You can get them really flashy with all sorts of finished and bindings, but they should do 'simple' guitars as well. And IIRC, you can choose a number of neck-shapes?
Washburn Nuno N4

EDIT: I know this is a signature but it seems to have all of the things you're looking for (although I don't know about the neck because I've never played one) you can get them for $1400 USD if you look used, I'm not sure what that converts to
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by lunaticfringe93
Washburn Nuno N4
Costs about £600 more than my maximum budget
Quote by MrFlibble
Costs about £600 more than my maximum budget

I don't know the conversion I figured $1400 USD was close...
UG's Prodigal Son
Carvin FTW on this one.The bridge isn't an original FR, but it is a very nice LFR,and their quality is great.Other than that maybe a micheal kelly super strat with a pup swap? Also,for that price you might be able to go Warmoth,which is always a good choice if you don't mind putting it together.Soloist body with a '59 round back contour 24 fret neck and an OFR bridge seems like it'd be perfect.Set it up for H-S-H and throw in some good passives and it'd be pure win IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by lunaticfringe93
I don't know the conversion I figured $1400 USD was close...
Price conversion is irrelevant with guitars anyway. We pay more than America does fpr guitars plus the exchange rate isn't that good anyway. It's kind of silly that even though the pound is still stronger than the dollar, we still pay £1700 for a $1400 guitar. Guitar prices are pretty crap for this country.
Quote by MrFlibble
Price conversion is irrelevant with guitars anyway. We pay more than America does fpr guitars plus the exchange rate isn't that good anyway. It's kind of silly that even though the pound is still stronger than the dollar, we still pay £1700 for a $1400 guitar. Guitar prices are pretty crap for this country.

Well that sucks
UG's Prodigal Son
Does said guitar have to be new or are you willing to look on the used market?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Ugh, Flibble I'm stupid, I totally forgot about Mayones. They make awesome superstrats.

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Mayones-Setius-PRO-Lizard-NT-Natural/art-GIT0008824-000

I know the price is too high, but I was in the store on tuesday and they had lowered the price of that guitar. It was between 1000€ and 1100€. Email them about the price if you're interested. Neck might possibly be too thin. It's not as thin as Jackson or Ibanez necks though if I remember correctly. Thoughts?
Quote by Pr0gNut
Does said guitar have to be new or are you willing to look on the used market?
I'd go used if it was something really fantastic. I've always got my eye out on ebay and on the traded in guitars in stores here. I think it's so random though what will come up though, it's not something I spend much time thinking about.

Quote by TheQuailman
Ugh, Flibble I'm stupid, I totally forgot about Mayones. They make awesome superstrats.

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Mayones-Setius-PRO-Lizard-NT-Natural/art-GIT0008824-000
Another I've never heard of before!
Looks good, their website says the neck is 20mm/22mm which is about standard Fender size, absolutely fine. Price is right at the top of my budget though even if they have lowered it. I'll give them a buzz and see what their final price is, but eh.
Gah, why must the one with the most normal neck have to be one of the most expensive too.
Page 1 of 2