Hey I've been playing for about two years now, but now that my friends want to start trying to throw together some tunes I realize how little I actually know about guitar.

I took 4 lessons and quit after I realized all the guy did was repeatedly teach me Smoke on the Water and try and talk about Halo 3, so I've pretty much been learning through tabs.

As far as my actual skill goes I'd say I'm doing alright. I can alternate pick great, chug, my finger work is clean, hammer-ons and pull-offs are no big deal and I'm working on sweeps and tapping.

So my main problem is that I know absolutely nothing about chords, scales, modes, the fretboard or any theory in general and it's making it very hard to do anything of my own without it all sounding similar or just boring in general.

I borrowed two of the Guitar Grimoire books from a friend (the scales/modes one and the exercise book) but I still don't really know whats going on there and how to use the scales.

I guess what I'm asking is where is a good place to start? I've been told I should just invest in more lessons, but I lack the time and money to make them work.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
learn the notes on the fretboard and write out the triads for each chord which will the the 1st 3rd and 5th notes of the respective major scale. Make sure you learn the major scale and start learning how other scales are formed from that, eg. natural minor is a major scale with a flattened 3rd.
I'm basically where you are at. I know nothing about the chords, scales and all that, and i'm also at a point where I need to start learning the basics.
well learning the notes in chords is useful, learn them onpiano too, its really useful, its alot easier to picture why each ting is happening on a keyboard
Same story as TC.
I tried looking around on UG, but it seems to me that the people who wrote all that don't realize that there's people out there who are still starting out and need....you know...an explanation.

Quote by noddy-whack
learn the notes on the fretboard

This I understand.

Quote by noddy-whack
write out the triads for each chord which will the the 1st 3rd and 5th notes of the respective major scale. Make sure you learn the major scale and start learning how other scales are formed from that, eg. natural minor is a major scale with a flattened 3rd.

I have no clue what you just said!

Quote by noddy-whack

That IS useful.
+1

The Guitar Grimoire is pretty darn useless as a teaching aide.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I feel the same way as the TS. I've been playing for a while, got pretty good...built speed with accuracy..simple sweeps and taps.

But now that I want to start recording and playing music with the band, I realize that I don't know $hit. Where would be the best place to start? I'm cool off going to classes, but I might be able to manage night ones. I'll start looking at that musictheory website as well. I just want to know where to actually start...
Learn fretboard... learn chords... learn theory behind chords... learn scales... understand what you have learned.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Let me blow your mind -

Fretboard logic 1,2 &3

I have completed book one, started book2. I get bored on theory, but this guy lays it out in my opinion pretty straight forward. It does take effort though to actually sit and read and comprehend, but its about as straight forward as i have seen anything....