Hey guys,

I need your advise about the purchase of an amp for my guitar. It's an ESP Mh-400 with a pair of 81 EMG. I am mostly playing black metal with this guitar, mostly second wave: satyricon, mayhem, emperor and immortal. I have no head/cab or anything, I am plugged to my computer for now with guitar rig3.

My budget is 500$ max. I need it for personnal practice and band practice.

I saw mayhem playing with Marshall, Immortal with ENGL and 1349 with Crate. Ofcourse if I had 3000$ for a whole stack I would take mesa or engl...

For now my research got me to these model:

PEAVEY 5150
Crate 2X12 gt212 120
Some marshall, can't remember the model

(you can give me tips about distortion/effect pedal, don't put it in the 500$)
you found a 5150 for 500 bucks? kudos.
the only amps in your price range that i can think of that can get into metal territory are either a b-52 or a bugera of some sort (no doubt more but i cant think of them), of course in these instances ebay is your best friend, so keep trolling that for a good deal.
JCM 800 with a Boss heavy metal could get you some quite authentic tones, although it may sound too good.

Cheapest, best option is to get a practice amp and a digitech death metal pedal & play in a forest.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
krank and engl are very suited to metal and they make them in handy combos i would probably go for the marshall whiich i think is the dsl401
the 5150 will do it. i personally would not go for the krank
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by FischmungaXTR

Cheapest, best option is to get a practice amp and a digitech death metal pedal & play in a forest.

This.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome
This.

i almost forget he said black metal
crank up a spider and burn some churches
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
if u do get the rev jr. make sure to get a cab with a v30 and a boss ds-1 noise gate. the higher end of the boss will compensate for the all the lows the krank is churning, but 5150 or 6505 would be a much better choice
5150 should do the trick.

either that or a JCM900 wich you can easily find for that price.
Get a Peavey Bandit, it's the official amp of black metal.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i think that the krank would be good, just eq a lot of bass out. the fizz in black metal tone is from production issues not the amp, and the 5150 is fizzier anyway.

edit: rev jr

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
i think that the krank would be good, just eq a lot of bass out. the fizz in black metal tone is from production issues not the amp, and the 5150 is fizzier anyway.

edit: rev jr

the 5150 is not fizzier than a krank
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i almost forget he said black metal
crank up a spider and burn some churches

Well I guess you are to busy watching a corpse decomposing in your living room to actually try to say something decent...

anyway,

I found a deal on a local ad website:

Crate Blue Voodoo de 60 watts à lampes.
Cabinet Marshall 8412 150 Watts 4X12
450$ (Canadian dollar)

Ofcourse it's much louder than all the 1X12 some of you propose. But quality/price I think it's much better. What do you think?
i did state decent stuff. try reading your own thread.
as for the blue voodoo, i wouldnt say it is voiced for black metal..... but it is a pretty good deal.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
try it out, 90's crates are better than anything they come out with know.

Looks like a winner.

But personally i would go with the 5150, even if it is a combo.
i wouldn't get a crate for the style of music you are going for, in your price range, i would either go for the 5150 or try to find a used 6505 combo or something along those lines, and if none of that is cheap enough, i would say go with a line 6 spider half stack untill you have the money to get decent equipment.
Quote by freakyfranck

... PEAVEY 5150 ...

You're on the right track...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Well everyone seem to agree witht the peavey. I got a question that is going to sound really dumb, somebody must have said something worst somewhere in this forum lol

Can you just have just the cabinet and plug your guitar in it? Or is it just like a speaker with no jack to plug in? So i need a head (can't play with only that I guess) and a cab?

Cabinet Peavey 5150 4x12' 500$ (roughly 400$ american)

Yes sir, you need both. Only combo amps stand alone.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
You need something to unleash the bees.

This is 100% honest: Gorilla amp+ Boss MT-2.

EDIT: I noticed you listed the Crate GT212 as something you're looking at. Although they're grindcore, Pig Destroyer uses the GX130c, which is incredibly similar to that amp.
Last edited by imgooley at Mar 6, 2009,
Yeah, the cab is essentially a speaker box. You need something to drive your guitars signal. Personally as a Peavey owner I would suggest a 5150. Enough gain to melt your sweet momma's panties off. Just be sure to buy a noise gate pedal. And definitely invest in the BBE Sonic Maximizer.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black