To be short, I'm teaching beginner lessons soon. Oldest kid is 12. I can't read sheet music, so can I get some advice on what to start with?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Hey necrosis1193, just starting out playing guitar, but I have some advice.

I can't read music either, so I think teaching the kids to read tabs is a good start.

Go over basic left and right hand techniques, and maybe give them some easy riffs.
Easy riffs (like Smoke on the Water) seem to inspire me to play more.

Basically, give them the tools they need to play correctly and to learn themselves.

Most of all, tell them to not give up. It's going to take awhile, but it will be worth it!

Hope that helps
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
There are a ton of instructional vids on youtube. Maybe check out some of those for more ideas. My teacher used to teach me an easy song every week if I worked on the scales and open chords enough.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yea although it is smart to have theory in there, the kids are so young they might not fully understand it yet. Just make sure they have fun and stick to it, cause if they keep learning, you keep teaching, and you keep getting money
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by Dandaman4716
yea although it is smart to have theory in there, the kids are so young they might not fully understand it yet. Just make sure they have fun and stick to it, cause if they keep learning, you keep teaching, and you keep getting money

...the birth of capitalism in a nutshell; making younger or dumber people feel good about themselves, so they give you money.

But let's keep politics out of this...

One of the things I think you should focus on, is indeed that they have fun. Try and teach them easy songs, and make sure they get the right hand technique at least down.

I've been hammering that into my nephew. He's started playing guitar at the end of last year, and is developing quite well.
I just started a twelve year old this monday. Find out what he's into (its really easy if they like rockband) My kid has rockband 2 which my friend tells me has E-Pro by Beck on it, Possibly the easiest song ever.

Also typical beginner stuff (how to hold the pick, notes on the fretboard, tuning up your guitar)

Edit: I also showed him this excercise to so he can use a finger per fret

e-------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-------
B------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------
G------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------
D------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------
A-------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------
E-1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------------------
(and then back up)

Hint: the same excersize works for alternate picking.
Other than that one I don't really use excersizes.

After his picking and strumming and fretting improves a little bit (a lesson 2 at most) I'll move on to chords and powerchords, then scales

Also if you can figure out the songs he likes use those to teach him certain techniques rather than excersizes so he'll practice it more
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 5, 2009,
just use tabs and start em off on easy songs. buy a book on music theory for beginners and learn it. then you can teach them more advanced stuff too.

I used to play violin, trombone, and tabla before I got into guitar, so I have a fair knowledge in music theory. But for beginning guitar, start off with tabs.

I use tuxguitar. It is opensource and can open/edit/play guitar pro files. better than spending 60 bucks :. maybe you can show them how to use it for practice

for help I just use these forums. There are also good lessons on ug that you can share with them. some of the topics on this thread mite be too much for a 12 yr old 0.0