i am going to switch out the d activators on my xpt700 and was searching for some recs. i am contemplating an x2n or d activator x for the bridge and am quite unclear for the bridge...... can someone tell me what they think about the air norton? any feedback would be great
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
kind of reminiscent of a mixture between MoP, Death (symbolic era) and Necrophagist. Similar to a blend or something like these
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
What do you want to change about your tone?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
i don know if you have ever played the d activators, but they dont have the richest harmonics. also, they are kinda softer than i like............ i cant really explain it?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by hcsn2008
D sonic... I have x2n's and d sonics. Dimarzio d sonics are the best for me.

how are the x2ns?
and the air norton?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
how are the x2ns?
and the air norton?

The x2n is cool but it reminds me more of an active honestly. on dimarzio.com they have charts that are really accurate. It tells you how much bass, mids, treble and so forth each pickup has when you click sound on the pickups. Just click humbucker at the bottom and then high output and select the one you want and click sound. You can compare them. The d sonic has a lot of low end which I like and it's really clear. here is the description of it.

Our first heavy humbucker of the 21st century, the D Sonic™ is a high-output bridge humbucker designed for the extended low end and heavy chords that dropped tuning delivers; with serious treble response for single-note solos and standard tuning. The D Sonic™ is more than just a one-sound pickup, too. In addition to the standard series humbucking sound, our patented design utilizes 4-conductor wiring to access two different single-coil sounds plus parallel humbucking mode, for three additional sounds that are distinctive and versatile.
Tech Talk: Those of you familiar with DiMarzio® history will note the visual resemblance to our old MegaDrive™, but the design is completely different. Installation direction makes a noticeable difference in the sound, particularly with overdriven amps. With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings. With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing. Each coil has a unique tonal character, so the two split sounds are different, and parallel humbucking produces a third clean and bright sound.
sounds nice.... i am sad cuz you cant really test pups....
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
sounds nice.... i am sad cuz you cant really test pups....

Well their charts and descriptions are so accurate you don't really need to. As long as you've got a heavy wood guitar the d sonic will sound really thick. I use mahogany guitars only. Basswood will work too though but it won't be quite as thick.
yeah i have a mahogany guitar and a basswood guitar too...
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
yeah i have a mahogany guitar and a basswood guitar too...

You'll probably like the d sonic more than the x2n honestly. It sounds much more organic and heavier. But either one is great. The evo is okay too but it's to thin kinda like an active pickup.
what about harmonics?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
what about harmonics?

The best. The d sonic is the best I've played. I'll probably be buying them for a long time to come.
nice. i really liked the clips of the d sonic.... sound pretty great. the d activator x sounds pretty good too, a nice treble cut from the x2n. you played those? also, the air norton sounded pretty excellent
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
i have a d activator x bridge and a 7 string version of x2n

if you've played on a les paul or strat, you know how hard it is to get pinches even through like a mesa, easier, but high power pickups help ALOT

well if i had to rate x2n and both types of d activators on versatility and harmonics here's what i say,

x2n: good replacement pickup, but gets kinda muddy after drop c-ish, good harmonics, but the normal d activator is better, and kinda hard to get a good clean, possible, just because of the power, hard

normal d act.: good voicing/normal tone, good for metal, rock and ANY alternate tunings, but even harder to get a good clean/acoustic-like tone, can to clean passages like for some bullet for my valentine or like in master of puppets, but x2n is more versatile

D act x: THE BEAST! Never gets muddy, and i think drop Ab qualifies, and it can pull off great harmonics ON CLEAN! when you roll the volume down you can get a smooth jazz, or turn it up and you have a great slipknot, metallica, anything else level of distortion, a little different voicing and natural balance, but overall great

hope that helps, sorry for me being so wordy...