Page 1 of 2
About 25% of metalheads are the smartest and most realistic fans of any musical genre.

The remaining 75% are about normal.

There's a much higher degree of crossover between metal and classical than you normally hear in the press.
I've seen some very stupid metal heads. Quite honestly though, I don't think that article is very far from the truth.
I think in some cases in makes sense because I have heard numerous studies regarding music being related to intelligence, specifically classical music. Heavy Metal is similiar in that most metal bands write very technical and intricate songs, they dont do simple chords with a verse chorus verse bridge outro, they usually have numerous sections with solos and breakdowns and rhythm changes. Also most metal bands sing about real world stuff and not about "oh baby baby i love you why dont you love me oh baby baby".

/Mini thesis.
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
I'm sure you could find articles that go into detail on this subject using google...

GO!
If you look at it, most metal promotes intelligent lyrics and most of the time refers to actual historical events (Viking metal is the reason I passed the Scandinavian Mythology part of my English class...).

On the contrary, most mainstream music (mostly rap) promotes spelling "wurdz" wrong, because they think it's "cool."

Also, Alliteration is incredibly common.
Last edited by Master Cthulhu at Mar 5, 2009,
This seems pretty accurate to me. Metal has strong influences from classical in terms of song structure and listening to classical has been linked to high intelligence. Also, there's a guy in my school who is gifted (100% math ect.), and just recently found out he's a metalhead. I'm also a metalhead and I get in the 80-90% range. So judging by what I've seen at school, and articles like the one you posted I'd have to say this contains some truth. Good post man.

anyone?
I concur with this article.

Yes, there are some retarded metal fans, but of the few I know, they're very smart.
I'm sure virtually identical articles have been cropping up for the last 6 years or so, probably longer, but that's when I started paying attention to the media.
Well, if it helps dispel the myth we're all sociopathic dullards, it cant be a bad thing
Up The Boro!
Quote by Metal_Head1
Hmm... Life story time.
Well, I'm in AP (Advanced-Placement) classes, make A's and B's, I listen to metal, mainly black metal. Only difference is, I wouldn't say I listen to metal to "release aggression" or anything of that sort. I like the music itself, the composition and whatnot. I also like classical...

Yeah, I agree. All the metalheads I know don't have self-esteem problems, or anger issues or anything like that. Just love the music.
Quote by Clunis
Yeah, I agree. All the metalheads I know don't have self-esteem problems, or anger issues or anything like that. Just love the music.

My friend had big social problems, listened to metal a lot, and ended up killing himself... It wasn't the music's fault, though. He probably would have done it much sooner if it wasn't for the music, actually.
Quote by Metal_Head1
Hmm... Life story time.
Well, I'm in AP (Advanced-Placement) classes, make A's and B's, I listen to metal, mainly black metal. Only difference is, I wouldn't say I listen to metal to "release aggression" or anything of that sort. I like the music itself, the composition and whatnot. I also like classical...

You also like Massacra, which qualifies you for advanced placement in metal too.
well, I got a 2070 on my SAT's and i love metal, so i guess i'm part of the group of smart metal kids
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by Metal_Head1
Hmm... Life story time.

Those are my thoughts actually. I prefer it because its more interesting to me than simpler Rock/Rap/whatever else.
I'm convinced there is a link between intelligence and the music you like. As someone mentioned it has already been statistically shown that people who listen to classical music generally have higher intelligence. Since heavy metal and classical music are so much alike in many ways I am not suprised by this article.

If you would like to know, I have got top grades in the Swedish correspondence to upper secondary school / highschool and I am a metalhead. I can't give heavy metal all the credit for that, but I'm sure you have to develop some sort of intelligence to enjoy all the harmonies, the harmonic minor scales or the unorthodox rhythms that are so frequently used in metal music. The lyrics of metal songs have really helped me with my English, both with my grammar and my vocabulary. Whenever I'm not sure about the grammar I just have to think of a metal song to get it right.
Most of the metalheads I know are pretty 'tarded TBH.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I know two people that listen to black metal, one of them failed every single one of his prelims and the other one is going to univeristy to study astrophysics
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.

It's funny because the stupid one loves Burzum.
Quote by ChemicalFire
^

I think the correlation seen between metal and intelligent isn't an all encompassing thing as just proven by easy-c, but I think that people of a higher degree of intellect are able to appreciate metal more so than others. I mean one of my friends who is seriously one of those depressed geniuses that gets bored with everything because he thinks it's too easy loves brutal death metal like Defeated Sanity, Spawn of Possession and Disgorge. I think it's something that everyone from mindless drones to the Einsteins of the world can appreciate, I just think that smarter people tend to enjoy it more.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Just once. Just. Once.
I want to see an article discuss metal bands that aren't Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica and Black Sabbath.
I wanna see someone do this exact same study with Nile, Mirrorthrone, Agalloch and The Faceless fans.
They need to do this with ANUS members. Next thing you know, they'll tie heavy listening of Necrovore's Divus de Mortuus with intelligence.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Metal_Head1
Hmm... Life story time.

Hey, wanna hang out some time, man? I am the exact same (except for having graduated high school and not still being in AP classes).

Most of the meathead metalheads are thrash fans, so the dumb kids aren't hurting the good metal much anyways.
We've got our own little University of Metal.
There's Meshuggah to teach us Math.
Lord Worm to teach us English.
Vintersorg for Physics and Astronomy.

AND GREEN DAY TO TEACH US ABOUT POLITICS, HELL YEAH!
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
We've got our own little University of Metal.
There's Meshuggah to teach us Math.
Lord Worm to teach us English.
Vintersorg for Physics and Astronomy.

AND GREEN DAY TO TEACH US ABOUT POLITICS, HELL YEAH!

Hey, i love music sepecially heavy metal like grean day!

CHERS, GUISE
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Seen very similar things before...

I'd agree that the majority of us are smart, but i know a few dumb bastards that contradict that.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Not surprised.

me neither. not one fucking bit.

god dammit, how is this even a novel insight? this should be obvious to everyone and everyone.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by RPExecutor
me neither. not one fucking bit.

god dammit, how is this even a novel insight? this should be obvious to everyone and everyone.

I agree.

It also seems like on the whole, it's people who are not very intelligent who insult metal as 'noise and shouting'.

I'm probably in the top 3 or 4 of my year (grades), and I love metal.

I think the classical link also surprises many people, they seem to find it hard to believe that what they perceive as a nice and calm, quiet genre, could have any link to what they see as a loud, angry, violent and downright stupid genre.

But yer, no surprise what so ever, I assumed before I saw this article that it was already proved.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
*Printing this out to shove in the faces of ignorant people*

Only with metal I had actually became a lot more open minded and began to take a greater interest in literature(thank you Symphony X)

I'm sorry I failed you guys, I score one of the lowest on tests. But then again, I go to the highest achieving school in the state
Now I'm backed in my belief that metalheads are the smartest and best people ever!

/standard metal elitism

Unfortunately I still hate everybody, including the people who conducted the studies and wrote the article.

/standard metal misanthropy.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Regardless of the supposed average intelligence of metal fans, which in itself is a pretty damn stupid concept, metalheads are, in general, some of the most misinformed, disillusioned, deluded, unaware people I have come across.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Page 1 of 2