I just bought a guitar and need some help. I'm a total beginner and i'm going to buy an instructional dvd for now. I would love to play some metal. I found some begining metal dvd's that teach newbies chords etc. However mabey i should get a begining guitar dvd instead. The metal one says learn chord etc and not worry about the stuff you don't need.Should i learn guitar and chords first than worry about the type of music i like.
Why not do both.

Follow the beginners course, which will ultimately make you a better player. And then when you have some fun and rock out, work your way through the metal course.
Quote by Free
Why not do both.

Follow the beginners course, which will ultimately make you a better player. And then when you have some fun and rock out, work your way through the metal course.

YEA!!!what he said
learn the basics and then just find tabs and learn to play them. if you have questions about techniques, etc. just ask them here. UG has lots of good articles on beginner guitar, might wanna check that out.

there are lots of free online lessons (some with video). might wanna check those out b/c there's more variety and its FREE

The first song I learned to play was burzum's "My Journey to the Stars." although death metal is my fav, this song helped me build speed and control
Definitely go for the basics first. It's important to get a good foundation before you start specializing in one genre. You don't want to be one of those guitarists who just plays metal, but then the time comes for them to play a blues song or something and they don't know the first thing about it. Versatility is a plus.
Quote by Bergey
Definitely go for the basics first. It's important to get a good foundation before you start specializing in one genre. You don't want to be one of those guitarists who just plays metal, but then the time comes for them to play a blues song or something and they don't know the first thing about it. Versatility is a plus.

+1

I have a friend, playing 10 years. Pretty strictly metal.

I have another friend, been playing 4 years. Mostly Blues but some other stuff.

The Blues guitarist is better, much better. He can play anything the Metalhead can, but the metalhand can't play what the blues guy plays.

So basically what this guy said. Why not learn both?

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
You'd be suprised.

I find Blues really relaxing, and just as much of a challenge (if not more) then most of the metal I play.

for some reason I mess up when I go slower. I know its weird.

in school my teachers get pissed cuz I get all the hard stuff right, and make silly errors on the easy stuff. (just ask my ap calc teacher-(dont)-...he has so much to say)

black metal is relaxing.. burzum or drudkh
Then practice the easy stuff.

Better to be well rounded with many options until one of those options is open and you take it. Once that happens is when you specialize more.

Quote by Invokke_Havokk
+1

The Blues guitarist is better, much better. He can play anything the Metalhead can, but the metalhand can't play what the blues guy plays.

but dont force yourself to learn something you dont like
my one love is metal and metal only
and i just jumped straight in cos i already know the basics cos i play bass too
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
+1

When you just learn metal and believe me I'm the same way..you shred faces off, but never get down to that sic sounding bluesy jazzy sound. My pops always told me to drop metal for a moment and pick up the blues and I would be that much better of a metal player.

And theres something about shredding metal and then throwing a little pause in there followed by a clean jazzy riff and right back to melting faces off...that's the fun stuff.
Learn the basic stuff (chords, how to hold and tune the guitar...) and the pick some easy songs for the start.
Quote by MetalHead916
And theres something about shredding metal and then throwing a little pause in there followed by a clean jazzy riff and right back to melting faces off...that's the fun stuff.

Somewhat OT, but it's really nice to hear a metaller talking in these terms.

Disclaimer : CarpUK is an ex-metaller who really can't be bothered with the endless chuk-chuk-chuk-chuk-bloob-a-looB-A-loOB-A-lOOB-A-LOOB-A-LOOb-a-LOob-a-Loob-a-loob-a stuff out there these days. Nothing wrong with a bit of speed, but when the end result is something that could be near-as-damnit turned out with some decent composition software*, it rather defeats the point of using a guitar... i.e. the player can put something of themselves into it thanks to the guitar's analog nature and almost totally organic "interface" (good grief, that sounded poncey... you get the point though).

* Think "Dragonforce" as an extreme example. Yes, I know they're not exactly a shining example of anything... However, I'd be willing to be 95% of the shred solos could be replicated to a high degree of accuracy without the need to lay your hands on anything other than a keyboard (by which I mean a QWERTY one, not the business end of a piano). There's just nothing to the notes. It's just bleeping.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Once your learn the basics it is easier to learn pretty much any style or technique on the guitar. Also you will have a better understanding of what you are doing. I am now learning lead guitar and quickly understood what I need to learn and it is now just down to putting alot of practice in.