Poll: Which type of guitarist do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which type of guitarist do you prefer?
Type A
9 10%
Type B
77 89%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 2
Which type of guitarist do you prefer?

a) A skilled and technical one that plays very well, but just 100% follow the tabs without putting any emotions in his playing, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7EydYa3Gl8.

b) A less skilled one that maybe makes some mistakes, but puts a lot of emotions in his playing (he moves, adds vibrato, improvises, changes a few riffs, etc).

I personally prefer B type, I don't like guitar players that seems robots, even if they are very skilled/fast/technical.
Last edited by Poglia at Mar 5, 2009,
b fo shizzle

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

c. Is a little bit **** but people sing along
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
B. And just a heads-up, you're about to be raped by just about every metalhead here, because you used the phrase "Plays emotionally."
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by wtf290
B. And just a heads-up, you're about to be raped by just about every metalhead here, because you used the phrase "Plays emotionally."
I'm a metalhead too, but I still prefer type B. I don't like shredders so much.
I prefer a guitarist that doesn't play something complex just because it's complex. I rather here 3 simple chords being played good than 30 chords played just because it's advanced.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
C. - Very much like B. but without the constant musical diahorrea that I know a few people to have.
Quote by wtf290

That hurts, we metalheads have feelings too

Voted B
By the power of Greyskull
B, easily. I had a debate with someone a while back about this, their suggestion was that someone like Satch was Type A, and Slash Type B. Although I can't say I agree entirely with the examples they used, I'd take B any day.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
C. Has the ability to play everything note perfectly but instead chooses to ad lib and not play the same thing you heard over and over again on the CD.
I'm like a candle in the wind... unreliable.
Uhh, A

Of course, B might be better, but what's the use of trying to make the song better if you keep messing it up? That makes it even worse

I'd rather them just stick to the song than butcher it up
Quote by Guitar_tischler
That hurts, we metalheads have feelings too

Voted B

Well, I was stereotyping you.
I was going to say "technical players," but I didn't like the way the sentence sounded that way.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
I prefer a mix of A and B, and I hate the assholes who think you can't be both.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
What about

D. Someone who plays like A., but adds emotion like B. (See Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Buckethead, etc.)
Why not some of both? Maybe like a jam musician who plays mid-temp music and can (and does) play all sorts of styles and feels comfortable with playing something a bit off the mainstream.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by The Shroom420
Uhh, A

Of course, B might be better, but what's the use of trying to make the song better if you keep messing it up? That makes it even worse

I didn't mean this. You can imagine A like a fast and precise shredder and B like a guitarist that can't shred or play complex stuffs, but at least he can play simple songs with a lot of emotion. The problem is that A just 100% follows the tab while playing like a robot.
Last edited by Poglia at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by technical death
I will say A

Look at Necrophagist. Mohammed (lead guitar/vocals) plays fast and skillfully, and also has awesome solos full of vibrato and emotion..

Nice example, Mohammed is awesome.
I'm like a candle in the wind... unreliable.
Satch does play with emotion though.
Type B
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
Quote by The Shroom420
Uhh, A

This, unfortunately. But the thing is, if they have the skill of type A, they can really only get it through being a type B first. So, therefore they'd have plenty of emotion to put into the song and can't be a type A.

So, I say type C. Both.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
B just because i like YOUR definition of emotion "adds vibrato, improvises, changes a few riffs" <--that's what it means to put in emotion

almost everyone on this site and youtube think something else when it comes to emotion and that it can only come from making the dumbest **** faces to show how intense they are.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
I like guitarists that play with a lot of soul. So I choose B.
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
Last edited by aig91 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by technical death
dude technical death metal? hello??/

skill and emotion

That's an oxymoron.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
A little bit of both works.

There has to be emotional playing and shredding put together in one giant solo. Those combined makes an awesome solo.

Here is what a good solo is to me.
1. Starts out melodic for most of the time
2. A little bit of fast playing is thrown in, but it is not all fast.
3. Some more tension-building melodies and licks are thrown in
4. The shredding begins, and lasts for 3 -5 seconds until the solo is over.
5. This is optional, but it always sounds awesome with a held note at the end.

It also depends on the mood of the song. A fast angry song should have a fast but short solo, but an epic, more serious song should have what I explained above.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I don't care if they're good or not. Just as long as I like the music they're playing.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I think this was just the TS waiting to hear people agree that those robots that put no emotion into guitar aren't as good as the ones that do

I strongly agree with b, as I did a gig once with this band and they were doing covers all night (bad enough considering they'd been around for 4 years and only wrote like 3 or 4 of their own songs) and they completely killed Smells Like Teen Spirit. The kid on the guitar looked, played, and sounded like a robot.

The solo was horrible
A,

I love pure speed and shred heaven. None of that crappy kerry King rubbish. It has to be MAB shred!
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Page 1 of 2