Ok, I want to know if anybodies ever slapped on a Dean 09. Is it any good? Because I cant seem to get a decent tone, just this horrible rattle. I mean, I dont play funk or anything, so I dont try to slap a lot, but when I do, it sounds horrible. I pretty sure Im doing it right too, so I dont think thats the problem.
Basically, I want to know if it's me or the bass.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Sounds to me like the strings are hitting off the frets. You could lower your thumb away from the neck a bit, but you really are just going to have to get used to it. Raising your action might also help.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
well from what i've heard the dean 09 isn't the greatest bass in town

maybe turn your amp up a bit? slapping naturally makes the clacky noise of string hitting fret, if your amp is too low that's the only thing you're going to be hearing
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
I'd fiddle with the action a bit, but firstly I'd get new strings, because I'm starting out with slap and I found that fresh strings are much easier to slap and get a much better tone.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Ya I was thinking of getting new strings for the thing (Ernie ball super slinkys?).

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
^i'm about to try some of those tomorrow..from what i've heard they wear out really quickly but i know some people like them..who knows, i might be one of those people
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Skinkies should be fine.

Try playing with the settings on your amp...there's a few different ways to get a good slap tone. Maybe try scooping the mids and boosting the bass...that's a pretty common method.
Nope, no sig here.