I put some new Rio Grande pickups in my Les Paul yesterday. Now I have the infamous buzz that goes away when you touch the strings. So I think to my self, bridge ground wire, easy fix. So I checked the connections, everything seems sound.
Resoldered it just to see, and that didn't help.

So, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what else could cause the buzz.
is your guitar shielded?

Often interference from things around you will create a lot of buzz if your guitar's improperly shielded.
------

Shwiggity.
I doubt that it's shielded. I haven't done it, and I don't think Epiphone does. There is the light coat of conductive paint, but I don't think that would do much with as little as they put in.
Shielding tape would probably help quite a bit, then.

Make sure your solders are all clean, and that all the solder joints are shiny, not crusty and gray. Check your jack to make sure there's nothing hitting the actual patch cord.
------

Shwiggity.
^ good call, Jake!
if any signal wire is touching the conductive carbon paint, that will reduce the output tremendously. so the hum/buzz will seem loud compared to the signal from the strings.

Quote by kiwi68
I put some new Rio Grande pickups in my Les Paul yesterday. Now I have the infamous buzz that goes away when you touch the strings. So I think to my self, bridge ground wire, easy fix. So I checked the connections, everything seems sound.
Resoldered it just to see, and that didn't help.

So, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what else could cause the buzz.
if the buzz lessens when you touch the strings, the ground wire to the bridge is doing it's job.

the buzz started when you replaced the pickups? that seems odd. the Rio Grande pickups probably have more output than the stock pickups, so any hum/buzz should be less noticeable.

1 - are the Rio Grande pickups multi-wire? are you using the correct connections? post a drawing of your connections.

2 - are your pickups close enough to the strings? if not, you won't get much output and you'll have to turn up the volume on your amp. this will cause the hum/buzz to be louder.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
^ good call, Jake!
if any signal wire is touching the conductive carbon paint, that will reduce the output tremendously. so the hum/buzz will seem loud compared to the signal from the strings
if the buzz lessens when you touch the strings, the ground wire to the bridge is doing it's job..

Output is fine, just the buzz when not playing. So there may not be anything wrong.

the buzz started when you replaced the pickups? that seems odd. the Rio Grande pickups probably have more output than the stock pickups, so any hum/buzz should be less noticeable.

1 - are the Rio Grande pickups multi-wire? are you using the correct connections? post a drawing of your connections.

2 - are your pickups close enough to the strings? if not, you won't get much output and you'll have to turn up the volume on your amp. this will cause the hum/buzz to be louder.

That's what I thought
1. Nope, just "vintage" braided wire 2 conductor. I believe they're all right, all I did was redo the pickup wires, I left everything else intact. And I used the regular Les Paul diagram that is all over the internet.
2. Yeah they're close enough to the strings. I had that problem at first, then I was like doh!, I gotta move them closer, and the volume was fixed.

So from what I can gather, I suppose there isn't anything wrong. Just my misinformed self that thought the buzz that goes away when you touch the strings should be gone all the time.
It doesn't bother me really, I just thought it was supposed to be away completely. I may shield it if I get bored some day, lol.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I expected a Buzz Lightyear shaped guitar : (

Me too....

We need an Ultimate how to get rid of buzz thread.. theres so many of these things
Yeah I think that really would help alot of people and cut down the recent influx of those threads.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel