I wanted this amp and still do it even got a lot of good reviews from people outside of UG but every time i read stuff here it makes me feel not buying this amp so i want honest opinions on is this is a good amp and how it is for heavy metal
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
I had a regular spider, and... since you just registered im guessing that you haven't been playing guitar for very long. Its good if your a beginner because you dont know any better, but you can tell that the spider III series isn't good. the cleans are okay but not great, and the distortion is pretty bad. (sounds like the sound is coming from a tin can instead of a speaker.)

Brendon Small (as some of you might know does all the guitar work for Dethklok) uses one for recording and he gets some pretty amazing sounds out of it, but he uses a Podxt live instead of the onboard controls.

if your a beginner, its good for you, but you'll want to upgrade after a few months so. If you have money to burn, sure get it, but there are a ton of better amps for the same price. Possibly a Bugera 333XL

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
for high gain sounds i thought it was too fizzy
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It sounds okay but not as good as the tube vypyr 112. Which is cheaper and just sounds more realistic.
The thing with these is they are alot better than the regular spiders, but there are much better amp options you could buy for the 800 you are paying for the spider valve
Quote by hcsn2008
It sounds okay but not as good as the tube vypyr 112. Which is cheaper and just sounds more realistic.

For the record, the vypyr isn't a tube amp technically. It's half tube and half SS. I'm assuming it has a tube preamp and SS power amp.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
I have the spidervalve 2x12 and its amazing.

Very versatile distortion is very heavy and has a lot of bottom end "chunk"

The cleans once the tubes are warmed up our very clear and compressed.

A very ama-ng amp for the price, but keep in mind you will most likely want to but the shortboard if you plan to gig with it
it is ok. I have played it before. It is just a line 6 with a bogner tag on it. It is no wear close to sounding like a bogner.
Quote by burn out on me
For the record, the vypyr isn't a tube amp technically. It's half tube and half SS. I'm assuming it has a tube preamp and SS power amp.

WRONG! it has a ss modeling preamp and a full blowing tube poweramp (2 or 4 6L6).

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
If you read any post in this thread read mine because I bought it and returned it soon after because of a better deal.

I had bought a spider valve 100w head with an avatar 2x12 for about a month and enjoyed it immensely. Only reason I passed it up was that I liked the sound of a b-52 better (xD).

But yeah, its a good amp, but I'd recommend the head version because it has more tubes and thus a more organic sound.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by burn out on me

Nope. It's an all tube power amp. Same power section as the peavey 6505 same build and all. The pre amp has one tube and the rest is solid state. The spider valve is the same sort of hybrid thing. With a tube power amp. And the vypyr just sounds better.
Quote by HarrySidhu
I wanted this amp and still do it even got a lot of good reviews from people outside of UG but every time i read stuff here it makes me feel not buying this amp so i want honest opinions on is this is a good amp and how it is for heavy metal

I've owned a Spider II and over time grew to hate it. I did however test the Spider Valve a few times. Personally, I don't care for the way it sounds at lower volumes. Reminds me of the II series a little. But, when the tubes are warm and the volume is up, it sounds a lot better then I thought a Line 6 product with the name Spider could sound. Seriously. I haven't tested the Vypyr out yet.

There is one advantage the Spider Valve has over the Vypyr... it has both power and preamp tubes, whereas the Vypyrs have tube power/digital preamp(for the 60/120 tube), and solid state power/tube preamp(for the other 4 models).

Don't just impulsively buy either amp. Keep going to your local guitar shop(s) (GC?) and keep testing them until the clerks get sick of you. A little patience will pay off either way.

Quote by helsinki_vampir
WRONG! it has a ss modeling preamp and a full blowing tube poweramp (2 or 4 6L6).

You're both right, technically.

The 15, 30, 75, and 100 watt ones are SS power and tube preamp. The Tube 60 and Tube 120 are tube power and digital preamp.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by helsinki_vampir

Oh ok - never mind then. I looked on Peavey's website and saw that 2 of the Vypyrs actually do have 6l6's. The 60w and 120w. That's correct, right?
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
Quote by SPBY
I had a regular spider, and... since you just registered im guessing that you haven't been playing guitar for very long. Its good if your a beginner because you dont know any better, but you can tell that the spider III series isn't good. the cleans are okay but not great, and the distortion is pretty bad. (sounds like the sound is coming from a tin can instead of a speaker.)

Brendon Small (as some of you might know does all the guitar work for Dethklok) uses one for recording and he gets some pretty amazing sounds out of it, but he uses a Podxt live instead of the onboard controls.

if your a beginner, its good for you, but you'll want to upgrade after a few months so. If you have money to burn, sure get it, but there are a ton of better amps for the same price. Possibly a Bugera 333XL

brenden smalls uses a krank and a pod. not a line 6 spider...
edit: i misread what you said. but youre still wrong. the pod is not the same thing as the spider on board controls.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Last edited by sg622 at Mar 5, 2009,
ive made my mind up im gonna wait a month and get the new peavey 6505 because they have the new smaller ones coming gout and in that amount of time ill learn more guitar lol
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
It's really not that bad of amp, really. The high gain is a bit fizzy, but can be EQ'd to sound pretty damn good. It's not GREAT, but it's by any means a SS spider. The cleans are pretty good. The only thing I would complain about is the limitations of the effects parameters... they only control level, not rate or anything.

Sesstreets has the right idea. The combos have a design flaw that isn't present in the head. The head has a tube before the digital preamp, so you get a more organic/tube-ish sound, while the combos (not sure on the 212) are missing that tube and are inferior tone-wise, although they are still pretty good.

I'd suggest the Vypyr tube, though. Haven't tried one personally, but the SS versions were pretty good, I can only assume the hybrids are better.
Quote by sesstreets
If you read any post in this thread read mine because I bought it and returned it soon after because of a better deal.

I had bought a spider valve 100w head with an avatar 2x12 for about a month and enjoyed it immensely. Only reason I passed it up was that I liked the sound of a b-52 better (xD).

But yeah, its a good amp, but I'd recommend the head version because it has more tubes and thus a more organic sound.

The head has more tubes...

I'm not quite sure I understand your post. I thought the Spider Valve series was a complete tube amp? I know the head is, because I was the back of it last time I went to my GC. It had pre's and power tubes (big ****ers, too...).

Does the combo not?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by HarrySidhu
ive made my mind up im gonna wait a month and get the new peavey 6505 because they have the new smaller ones coming gout and in that amount of time ill learn more guitar lol

great call. gl with that.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by stratman_13
The head has more tubes...

I'm not quite sure I understand your post. I thought the Spider Valve series was a complete tube amp? I know the head is, because I was the back of it last time I went to my GC. It had pre's and power tubes (big ****ers, too...).

Does the combo not?

Nope...The spider valve is not a complete tube amp neither the head or the combo. It has an all tube power section and it has pre amp tubes But it also has solid state pre amp. Just like the vypyr. The only head that has more tubes is if it has more watts. I'm not sure if they make a combo the same watts but I think they do actually.

For example a 60 watt amp would have two power amp tubes. A 120 watt amp would have four power amp tubes. The pre amp tubes work with the solid state pre amp.

So it is a hybrid amp.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Mar 5, 2009,