Ok, ok, ok, i know there are alot of people asking for suggestions on what amp to buy, well, then you may have heard this before, i need a good amp for cheap. Most people want a tube amp, i on the other hand actually want a solid state over the tube. the only thing i ask is that it have a good clean tone and have the FX to a minimum, maybe at most spring reverb or tremolo, but no FX processor, so no i dont want a suggestion of a crappy spider amp! The thing is that i am on a very tight budget, around $200, and at very most can push to $250. for my money i want something around 50-75 watts, big enough to range from practice to a small gig, and it has to be heard over a drummer. i already have an idea of what i may buy http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-65R-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481599

its a good name amp, and it has good clean tones from it, i may go with this, but if anyone has a good suggestion, im open to all! (except for the ones suggesting i save for a good tube amp or a modeling amp, those im not open to, lol) -thanks
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
That amp sucks, what kind of genres are you playing?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Go for it, man.
It seems to be what you want. Fender tube or solid state both have nice clean tones and theyre not heavy on built-in fx. Plus itll be loud enough for what you want without losing a lot of clarity at higher volumes.
Crappy Spider amps? Get off the bandwagon, and test some out.
Anyway, with your price range being so limited, I'd shoot for the Crate Flexwave series.
They aren't too bad, and they're fairly loud.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Ampeg VH140c, Sunn Beta Lead, Line 6 Flextone (effects) Crate GX130c.

All of these are to be found used. The Frontman is a garbage amp in comparison to any of these.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
sorry forgot, i play alot of 60-70's classic and hard rock, but at the same time alot of 80's metal, like ozzy osbourne or mettalica(when they were good), and then some ac/dc like hard rock. and i have tried spider amps, my friend kyle has one, im not bad mouthing them, their fairly good, just not what im looking for, he's very satisfied with it it has an alright clean, and he has a very broad stlye, so he uses all the fx, unlike me, i use fx pedasl to get a better quality distortion and mine suit me very well
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
I dont give advice to ppl who rag on something they have no knowledge off. Like for instance a crappy spider amp. I can tell you right now that if you have ever used one you would not think it is so crappy unless of course you are a idiot like yourself who would have a preconcieved hate towards something before you even try it. Let me tell you something douchebag, dont believe everything you read, especially on this forum.
\\-,-// Favorite Bands \\-,-//
Chimaira, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, Norma Jean, The Devil Wears Pradda, Poison the Well, COB, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Parkway Drive, Pantera, Metallica, Exodus, Necrophagia, Testament, Unearth
Quote by mostly I hate u
I dont give advice to ppl who rag on something they have no knowledge off. Like for instance a crappy spider amp. I can tell you right now that if you have ever used one you would not think it is so crappy unless of course you are a idiot like yourself who would have a preconcieved hate towards something before you even try it. Let me tell you something douchebag, dont believe everything you read, especially on this forum.

Or, maybe he played one and just doesn't like it. Maybe you should take the advice you're giving out in that first sentence. *reported* for flaming.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^^I very seriously doubt that nark^^

uh oh I am going to get kicked off a forum...oh man I am so depressed right now.
Chimaira, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, Norma Jean, The Devil Wears Pradda, Poison the Well, COB, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Parkway Drive, Pantera, Metallica, Exodus, Necrophagia, Testament, Unearth
i already said, ive tried one of my friends, i not saying its a bad amp, i just dont like how it sounds, the clean is alright, its just that i dont need all the FX, read all of the posts before you have preconcieved notions about someone looking for advice-
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Last edited by TripleR26 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by mostly I hate u

stfu

Spiders are crappy amps, end of. Poorly constructed and crap sounding.

TS, you probably want a Peavey Bandit, the Frontman is garbage - the Bandit is a reliable workhorse and built like a tank.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I wouldn't be so quick to put out tube amps or amps with effects on it really. Because for your price range some of those amps are the best amps you can buy honestly. The bandit is a good choice but then theres the vypyr which has effects and is a modeler but... You can get the same tone the bandit has...it has the transtube technology that is even better than the one in the bandit and then you can get a tone of other tones and then the effects. I'd go judge the amps by the way it sounds. Go try out a bandit and a vypyr. I bet you'll come out with the vypyr.
Quote by mostly I hate u

Why are you so defensive? That proves right there that your spider sucks. Look most of us have tried spiders. Hell most of us owned one at some point. My first stack was a spider 2 stack. To say these amps are great amps is just crazy. I think your problem is you have used nothing else. I mean if you've never tried a good amp then yes the spider will sound decent. But everyone doesn't just jump out and say "the spider sucks!" for the hell of it. Theres reason...wheres theres smoke theres fire. Now just because you went and bought one don't call other people who were smarter names like douchebags. The guy even said he's played one and thought it sucked.
^^yea right dude, your reverse psychology is almost comical. I really dont care if anyone likes spider 3 amps, what difference does it make to me or to you? I knew people would jump down my throat for my comments on a line 6 amp and that is almost comical too.

Cant we all just be friends...
Personally I would see if you could find a Line 6 Flextone (used?). I really like these amps and they are very versatile. I know you said you wanted to keep the FX to a minimum but I don't think you'd be dissappointed. Saves on having to cart your pedals I suppose? Really nice cleans.

I would also second Mr Seagull on the Bandit shout too. (For the reasons he already gave
For the record, TripleR had a thread 2 nights ago asking about new pickups and we talked about amps at length. My recommendation in that thread was Vypyr I believe and maybe some Craigslist stuff.

The reason the Frontman get's so much hate is because the 15 wattrs are used in starter kits and are not that good and because the OD channel is lacking. The 212 giggable versions are not crap. They are well built and suit a purpose well. I wouldn't buy one for Classic Rock though. I would consider it or recommend it to someone looking for a clean ss amp that can take pedals well.