Page 1 of 3
I've been talking to folks in these locations:

http://www.talkclassical.com/2824-metal-music-death-metal.html
http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,548.0.html

About the relationship between metal music and classical music. I think we should expand on this idea:

One of the main ideas that links metal to classical is that both genres include songs that are built as one, well standing musical idea from start to finish, and on the inside of the song you have aspects of the musical world in every form imaginable: crescendos, accents, syncopation, melodies with counter melodies, scales, huge dynamic changes, the building of one idea into a huge one, the well blended transitions from one idea to the next, and more. If you have ever seen a conductor from the 1700's conduct, take Bach for example, you can see that he's working intensly, putting his heart and passion into his music with FURY, and putting his body and mind through a time of "ecstatic musical experience". I mean God look at how fast he moves his hands to conduct, and look at how he gets really into it and sweats and everything. Beside from both styles having the same feel to them, it's also true that when keyboards are used in heavy metal, talent is expressed perfectly well with exciting kick ass material that when you listen to it you think "God that is just ****in incredible. I with that were me rockin out like a maniac on that keyboard." And this is why Heavy Metal has some of its origins in Classical Music.

And an analysis:

It was more like classical music, where harmony is so well-studied that it is used as a device toward "narrative" compositions where the change in motifs and their accompaniment conveys a string of moods that like a mythology or a fable convey the idea of a journey from one point to another.

With this development, they gave meaning to the sound. Its context of topics gave its heaviness form, but musically it was heavy as well, using thundering chords that stripped out traditional harmony and made the riff instead, like the nihilistic voice of an angry god, speak the truth that completed the poetry of contrast in each song.

Any one else notice this?

Classical favorites: Beethoven, Paganini, Respighi, Vivaldi, Bruckner, Schumann, Brahms, Berwald, Saint-Saens.

Metal favorites: Immortal, Enslaved, Incantation, Burzum, Deicide, Emperor, Morbid Angel, Infester, Asphyx, Skepticism, Averse Sefira, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."

But yeah they totally relate.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Some of my favourite metal bands, happen to be very classically influenced. I love the Neo-Classical metal sound.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by COBGage
Some of my favourite metal bands, happen to be very classically influenced. I love the Neo-Classical metal sound.

My favorite genre
They are both genres of music that evoke pure emotion from their followers, empowering them(or at least they both do this for me) to an extent.

It also seems that a fair amount of metal heads(including those in metal bands) listen to classical. So it does not come as a surprise when you find classical pieces/re-arrangements on metal albums. Bands like Summoning and At Vance do this particularly well.
I always thought Symphony X did a phenomenal job at mixing metal and classical elements. They're cheesy (not so much for power metal), but they get the job done with frilliness, great organic melodies and just pure asskickery from all the musicians and how they work so well together.

Also, even though I hate to say it, I've taken quite a liking to Yngwie Malmsteen's neoclassical playing. Nothing that screams variety in his catalogue, but tracks like Blitzkrieg are a great example of neoclassical influenced instrumental metal.
I've found Jesus
Also some people on that Classical forum are really fucking pretentious. They slander anything that isn't classical and talk like it's The Gentlemens Thread.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by fowles06
wtf are counter melodies?

An additional melody being played over the first one that is entirely different. They are totally independent, but when used correctly, they match up perfectly.
Quote by COBGage
Also some people on that Classical forum are really fucking pretentious. They slander anything that isn't classical and talk like it's The Gentlemens Thread.

...and we are the exact opposite.
Runes To My Memory by AA has a really good counter melody.

I love both classical and metal, and if you look back, classical artists didn't have the technology that we have today. If they had distortion, if they had double-bass drums, they would likely be writing songs that are close to death metal today.

Hell, Beethoven could have been in Cryptopsy!
Couldn't this be in the other classical/metal thread you made?

Anyways, uuum, I think I said it in the other thread, but I think there's a difference between rock/metal with some classical-sounding melodies in it, and rock/metal that is pretty much a mini classical symphony played with rock/metal instruments and a rock/metal asthetic. Kind of hard to explain, but I think it should kind of give you an idea of what I mean.

Also, I kind of think post-rock is a bit closer to classical, the kind of stuff most classical composers would enjoy nowadays. I'm basing this off the atmosphere I get from listening to certain classical songs and certain post-rock songs, though.
Quote by fowles06
...and we are the exact opposite.

If that's sarcasm then your speaking purely on your own behalf.
My Last.FM

- Marty Friedman
Counter melodys are the exact opposite of dissonance. Listen to some polyphonic music.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
not sarcasm.

I don't think we are very gentlemanly here...

(once again not sarcasm)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMkkR1iFYw

I think this would be an example of Counter melody, and is counter point the same thing, because I think it is...
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by eazy-c
Counter melodys are the exact opposite of dissonance. Listen to some polyphonic music.

how so?

maybe i'm missing the proper defination of dissonance.
Quote by fowles06
not sarcasm.

I don't think we are very gentlemanly here...

(once again not sarcasm)

Agreed. I, for one, have my penis out.

Anyways, i think one reason i got into metal was because all i listened to previously (from birth to like 14 y/o) was classical music (parents had good taste, too). Once i heard a bit of neo-classical shredding, it blew me away. Pretty sure classical music's the reason im a metalhead
I remember in music class throughout high school there were a few songs that would have sounded pretty badass if played by a metal band.
I actually don't even play any metal instrument *hides from flames*

I play saxophone, but metal appeals to me for the most of the reasons you all have already mentioned.
Make a band consisting of a metal drummer, a metal vocalist, and you.

Like, the drummer and vocalist will go on like they're being backed up by deicide or something, ridiculous, non-stop brutal vocals and drums, while there's you playing swing-ish sax parts. No distorted guitars or anything, just brutal blast beats, growls, and melancholy sounding saxophone lines.
Quote by piratemetalhead
Make a band consisting of a metal drummer, a metal vocalist, and you.

Like, the drummer and vocalist will go on like they're being backed up by deicide or something, ridiculous, non-stop brutal vocals and drums, while there's you playing swing-ish sax parts. No distorted guitars or anything, just brutal blast beats, growls, and melancholy sounding saxophone lines.

That would be terrible.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I like around page 4 in the first thread TS posted when the Bach fellow comes in and gets mad because metal musicians are "hardly scholars"
Neither were most classical composers. Hell, Dvorak worked as a Butcher before he became a musician iirc.

I think there is a deffinite connection. Its more prominent in some forms of metal than others (Eg. Its easier to see in power metal than brutal death ) But its there.

Alot of metal songs i've listened to have "movements" just like Classical compositions do.
Alot of other genres sound like "classical" music as well, not just metal. I don't think people even realize that "classical" was a time period not a word describing all old music.
Page 1 of 3