Page 1 of 6
Homosexuality editorial puts 1st Amendment on trial
Woman sues after she was fired for saying being 'gay' is not same as being black
Posted: December 02, 2008 1:21 am Eastern
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

A woman is suing the university where she worked for firing her over a privately written newspaper commentary expressing her Christian views on homosexuality. Crystal Dixon, the former associate vice president of human resources at the University of Toledo, was fired in May after she objected to an opinion article in the Toledo Free Press that compared striving for "gay rights" with the civil rights struggles of black Americans. Dixon responded with a Free Press editorial of her own, written not in her capacity as a university employee but as a private citizen. "As a Black woman," Dixon wrote, "I take great I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual lifestyle are 'civil rights victims.' Here's why. I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a black woman. I am genetically and biologically a black woman and very pleased to be so as my Creator intended." University of Toledo President Lloyd Jacobs immediately suspended Dixon and condemned her statements. Within days, Dixon was fired. Now, with the help of the Thomas More Law Center, a not-for-profit law firm dedicated to the defense and promotion of the religious freedom of Christians, Dixon has today filed a lawsuit in Federal District Court claiming violations of her constitutional rights of free speech. "Crystal Dixon has a constitutional right to privately express her personal opinions," said Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel of the Law Center, in a statement. "This particular opinion represents the view of a majority of Christian Americans," Thompson continued. "Essentially she was fired for being a Christian."

What do people think about this? I think it is an insult to the Christian community. She wasn't fired for being a Christian at all. Firing her may be a bit harsh, but she should have more sense than to post stupid **** like that in a newspaper. She cannot be seriously insinuating that a gay person could wake up tomorrow and decide to be straight.
She's right. Being gay is not the same as being black. That would cause all kinds of racial-sexual confusion.
Unclean!

What a silly woman.
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
i personally cant stand it when people try to put their views on someone else, i mean really, keep your politics to yourself and there wont be a problem. oh well, this woman clearly didnt get the impact she was hoping for probably.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
i think its an insult to freedom of speech

and the person that fired her should be fired themselves(they wer probly a fag is why she got fired)
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
She has the absolute right to say what she wants in private, and express her opinions in any private media. The fact that she's talking horseshit doesn't change this, it's called 'free' press for a reason.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
While I strongly disagree with her views, she should not have been fired.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Same thing happened to me once. I expressed my approval of my boss's sexual preferences by telling him to suck my cock.

But, in all fairness, the woman deserved to be fired, not for her opinions, but for being a stupid bitch. Any opinion is null and void when you begin it with the phrase "as a black woman." It's 2009, nobody's special because of their gender or race.

Quote by neopowell
She has the absolute right to say what she wants in private, and express her opinions in any private media. The fact that she's talking horseshit doesn't change this, it's called 'free' press for a reason.

I love how the people who are first to cry "freedom of speech" have no idea what the First Amendment actually says. This is not a First Amendment trial, the woman has no chance of winning.
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Mar 5, 2009,
You know what this is telling us. Everyone should shut their face about their opinions on topics like this. No she wasn't fired for being christian, she was fired for being ignorant.

Yes, she was entitled to voice her opinion, but remember, her boss also has the right to terminate her employment when he see's fit.
Last edited by razorback_al_31 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
i think its an insult to freedom of speech

and the person that fired her should be fired themselves(they wer probly a fag is why she got fired)

*facepalm* Shut the hell up.
I agree It is a breach of freedom of speech and she shouldn't have been fired because of that but who knows what other circumstances surrounded it. Did her boss ask her to publicly state that her views did not reflect the views of the university and she refused? Did the university look back through her work record and see that she had made decisions that the university would not support, because of her beliefs? Who knows.
"This particular opinion represents the view of a majority of Christian Americans," Thompson continued. "Essentially she was fired for being a Christian."

wat
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
She's an idiot, but she shouldn't have been fired for an opinion. I find it incredibly idiotic how people have a right to "not be offended".
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
She is kinda right though (in her arguments, not her beliefs) black people were persecuted because of the way they looked, nothing more, which you can't hide.

Gay people are persecuted because they have different sexual orientation. Which you can.

Not to mention, I don't see people forcing gay people to go their separate lines in the grocery market, or to drink out of a different fountain.

They do have their own dance clubs though.....

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
she's entitled to her opinion and free speech.

so yeah i support her lawsuit.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by neopowell
Perhaps employers have the right to fire employees who publicly express opinions that bring their business/institution into ill-repute.
Quote by Cutlass_253
She is kinda right though (in her arguments, not her beliefs) black people were persecuted because of the way they looked, nothing more, which you can't hide.

Gay people are persecuted because they have different sexual orientation. Which you can.

Not to mention, I don't see people forcing gay people to go their separate lines in the grocery market, or to drink out of a different fountain.

They do have their own dance clubs though.....

For fuck's sake, nobody chooses to be gay, just like nobody chooses to be black. To expect anyone to hide who they are, because, in this day and age, the world is still full of morons like this woman who can't handle it, is just ridiculous and shame on you for suggesting it.

Also, for what it's worth, I've BEEN to gay dance clubs. They're full of straight people. I wonder if you realize just how ignorant and intolerant you sound.
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Mar 5, 2009,
She's a woman. Therefore her boss was right.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Survivalism
For fuck's sake, nobody chooses to be gay, just like nobody chooses to be black. To expect anyone to hide who they are, because, in this day and age, the world is still full of morons like this woman who can't handle it, is just ridiculous and shame on you for suggesting it.

please prove that. seriously.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Perhaps employers have the right to fire employees who publicly express opinions that bring their business/institution into ill-repute.

Generally not, unless said employee is acting as a representative of their employer at the time. It's sort of a legal grey area, I guess.

EDIT-This isn't the best analogy but it's an example of what I mean. If I get smashed, make a barking public spectacle of myself and generally act like an idiot in front of lots of people who know who I work for then I can't be fired (I checked my contract very carefully). If I'm wearing my work ID badge, though, then I can be fired because I'm considered a representative of my company.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Last edited by neopowell at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by JimmyBanks6

My only proof would be. Do you honestly think people would want to be gay seeing how badly treated they are in society in general? I doubt many people chose that.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Survivalism

Also, for what it's worth, I've BEEN to gay dance clubs. They're full of straight people. I wonder if you realize just how ignorant and intolerant you sound.

I'm not saying they should. I'm saying its an important difference that makes the african american civil rights movement slightly more invasive. You know what, black people couldn't go to the store and buy a gallon of milk in peace. Do you know what that feels like?

EDIT: And that last part was a joke. And yes, I know, I've been to a gay dance club, once, cuz my gay friend dragged me there. It's still called a gay club. It's not meant to be a place for ONLY gays, its meant to be a place where gays are comfortable. DUH!

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by Survivalism
But, in all fairness, the woman deserved to be fired, not for her opinions, but for being a stupid bitch. Any opinion is null and void when you begin it with the phrase "as a black woman." It's 2009, nobody's special because of their gender or race.

That's awesome!
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by david_safc

please go read the definition of theory

first learn English, then burn dip****

although i didnt say it, i agree with her opinion being null when she says "as a blackwoman" so i do not completely agree with her stance, mainly being the devils advocate as i tend to always do.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

This is so funny on so many levels
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by JimmyBanks6
i think its an insult to freedom of speech and the person that fired her should be fired themselves(they wer probly a fag is why she got fired)
or they had a gay uncle thats usually the way it is
Quote by JimmyBanks6

although i didnt say it, i agree with her opinion being null when she says "as a blackwoman" so i do not completely agree with her stance, mainly being the devils advocate as i tend to always do.

"Scientists say they have shown how male homosexuality could be passed from generation to generation. "

That is all I read on the article, so if that is a misleading title then that article doesn't prove anything. But why would you want to be gay? Why would you want all of the abuse that they get from ignorant bible bashers who can't accept people who are different from them?
Quote by Kensai
This is so funny on so many levels

damn kensai the all mighty, i cant devils advocate the coolest guy on UG

but its true theory is the thought truth, not the for sure truth, there are almost 100% most likely theories that prove that theory incorrect, although i do not have an proof to this i guess that makes my reasoning null also!

i shall now leave the thread... my devils advocating failed this thread dang... lol

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
My only proof would be. Do you honestly think people would want to be gay seeing how badly treated they are in society in general? I doubt many people chose that.

Wiggers......emos......rednecks......

Not in the same leauge really, but people will act however they want regaurdless of how they're treated. The above mentioned can help it, but they don't.

Btw, i don't care if gays choose or not, it's thier thing, whatever.
Quote by cobain_is_king
He likes Linkin Park, he must be a paedophile.

Justice Is Lost
Justice Is Raped
Justice Is Gone
Pulling Your Strings
Justice Is Done
Seeking No Truth
Winning Is All
Find it So Grim
So True
So Real
Haha. If she had been fired for supporting homosexuality, you guys would all be pissed off. The Pit is full of idiots.
Quote by SmarterChild
She's right. Being gay is not the same as being black. That would cause all kinds of racial-sexual confusion.

I fuckin lol'd
She will win. If she doesn't we all lose. I don't care what she said. If she was not encouraging others to violence she has the right to say what she wants. I have buried friends that have granted her that right. I will fight anybody that wishes to deny her that right. Doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with her. Doesn't matter if she has offended you or if she is your hero.
She has the right to voice her opinion. Without repercussion. Without intimidation. Without fear of reprisal. She will win.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by frottage
Haha. If she had been fired for supporting homosexuality, you guys would all be pissed off. The Pit is full of idiots.

That would be wrong too. Most of the people here are angry she got fired for expressing her views, not because she hates homosexuals.

Back in 1993, US researchers suggested male homosexuality was passed from mother to son after they found strong patterns of inheritance in family trees.

I wouldn't call that PROOF that homosexuallity is a genetic trait. They still don't know, so anybody who says homosexuallity is genetic is just blowing hot air. Do you know how many examples of bisexuality we have in ancient Greece? It was culturally accepted back then, so there was a great deal of it going on. I'm not saying that it was necessarily the same thing, but its an example of how homosexual practice was chosen by society.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Mar 5, 2009,