Hi, recently I got a toneport GX and love the thing, and love the sounds. Im just having trouble getting my recordings to have some life. Is there maybe an article I can read on panning and other recording techniques? Anything helps guys.
A.K.A. Titanguy
Also a description of what mics you're using for what, and any other relevant methodologies you might want to share.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
he said he is using a toneport, so he is usign direct line in. For life, i suggest trying to boost your upper frequencies a little and maybe use some reverb/chorus.-
Yup, put some (not too much though) reverb on your guitar tracks. Panning can also help to separate sounds in the mix, so try and make use of that. Also, if you are doing distorted electric guitars, try decreasing the amount of gain you use and multi-track the parts with different amps/tones. This will fatten up the sound a lot. Also, put a little bit of delay on lead parts. This spices them up a bit IMO.

Also try to keep an eye on the frequencies of each track/instrument. You don't really want different instruments to occupy the same sonic space (EQ-wise) or they'll drown each other out.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Sorry..... I thought the toneport had a mic preamp in it too...

Generally, it is very difficult to get a really "lifelike" guitar sound going completely direct. Recording 'air' with a mic adds a lot to the sound. Not that direct recordings are always bad. They're not. They're often best utilized in combination with miked signals.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.