hey does anyone know any good songs played on something other than bass that would sound good on a bass
There's a lot of songs that are played on somthing other then bass. Mind narrowing the criteria? Genre? Style? Examples?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
One of the monthly assignments I have in jazz class is to arrange a jazz standard for bass playing chords and melody. Right now we're working on Summertime and Days of Wine and Roses. My favourite so far was Jordu by Duke Jordon.

Classical music is a popular gold mind for solo bass. Check out Bach, a favourite for many bass players.
well honestly i dont have nything specific i mean im interested in a littlle of everything just things that sound good on just my bass
I like playing melodies and stuff on my bass. Star Wars imperial march, Lord of the Rings theme song, etc. Dance of Death and Fear of the Dark are sound surprisingly good if you play the guitar parts on bass.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
I like to play the Phantom of the opera on bass, and guitar, um... Favorite things or whatever it is called, from the Sound of Music. Alot of movie themes and songs are fun to play on bass. People don't give enough credit to people who write music for T.V and movies. I doubt I could even write some of the music on Spongebob! Ha ha. Really listen to it sometime.

For modern music if you transpose Plug In Baby by Muse to bass it is pretty damn fun.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
any more songs to arrange id kinda like to find some songs that would be good to arrange for tapping
Bach. That'll keep you going till you're 50.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
I dunno man. IMHO, I'd suggest first broadening your horizons. Listen to genres you normally woulden't, for instance if you listen to a lot of rock and metal, start listening to blues, pop, and classical. Things of that nature. Jaco Pastorious' version of Blackbird is a great example of what happens when you take a poppy sounding song and bring it to your genre (in this case, Jazz). Listen to everything and anything outside of your general realm of listening and look for things that make you sit up and pay attention. Then find ways to adopt them to your particular style. That's how all arrangements get made, someone enjoys a work enough to pay it homage while at the same time putting their stamp on it. Another great example of it would be Rodrigo y Gabriella's version of Orion by Metallica (youtube it if you have a chance, it's downright stunning).

Remember, you aren't trying to make the origonal work better, that would be egotistical. In the case of the Beatles reference, to say "I can out-Beatle the Beatles" would be egotistical. However, as with Jaco's version, he didn't try to improve but rather share with the world his particular interpretation. Find somthing that really strikes a chord and get at it.

We can make suggestions all day, but who better to tell you what you like and what you'd like to pay homage to on your instrument then you? Give it some real thought and put some real feeling into it. It may take a while, but all the great artistic labors do. Don't be in a rush, if you put all of yourself into it the end result will be tasteful, modest, and 100% you. That, IMHO, is what makes a great instrumental arrangement.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
A lot of Cello suites are popular on bass.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Yep the only song i can tap is fur elise, with chords and evreything.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The intro the Virgin Killer by Scorpions sounds wicked when played through a distorted or even clean bass!
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
Bass guitar is tuned like other ordinary guitars. The difference is that most regular bass guitars only have four strings which are far thicker than ordinary ones. This kind of strings allows the bass guitar to go very deep in terms of tone.
Last edited by Algarpeter at Mar 9, 2009,
No very deep in terms of frequency
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
any more i kind of think id like to do a chordal solo or some tapping ha the other day i was messing around with the song dont worry be happy yea im kinda looking for something a metal bassist wouldnt play
Quote by Algarpeter
Bass guitar is tuned like other ordinary guitars. The difference is that most regular bass guitars only have four strings which are far thicker than ordinary ones. This kind of strings allows the bass guitar to go very deep in terms of tone.

Ifyou're going to say that, then it is tuned like a double bass, not a guitar.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
i arranged "the place i'll return to someday" from final fantasy 9 (the theme on the main menu) for bass, which was originally on the flute and that came out pretty well. i've also tried the solo from viva forever by the spice girls, which i haven't quite got the hang of yet, but still sounds pretty good *prepares for spice girl bashing*
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
know any more while im at it this might sound dumb but does anyone know some songs that might remind me of things like a song that sounds hawaiin or medievel or anything like that